Expensive Claims (1 Viewer)

Alane

very 'umble
Local time
Yesterday, 16:17
Am I jealous? Should I be jealous? Or should I simply take up politics?

The icing on the cake for the good old uk, it seems like all our politicians were making, dare I say fraudulent claims? And getting away with it! So, what is the country to do about this? We’re going to change the rules so that it can’t happen again! IMHO, auditors should be brought in and each of them made to repay what they have effectively stolen from the mouths of the country.

David Cameron screaming in the background for a general election as if butter wouldn’t melt in his or his party’s mouths, does he honestly – should I even use that word in the same sentence as the word politician? – believe that we will be fooled into thinking any other party would have done anything different? Are we to believe that there is such a thing as a politician who is not out there simply to line his own pocket?

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:17
Politics is all about who can lie best and most confincingly...

Welcome to the real world :)

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Today, 00:17
One of the significant reasons why Labour prevailed against Conservative back in 1997 was that the Tories were bogged down in corruption, fraud and sexual deviancy.

Clearly it's true what they say - power corrupts. I'm not even sure it would be possible to design a system to make it difficult for this to happen - because there would ultimately still be people in charge of administering it.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
At the lower end, ie in local government, those to whom claims are submitted treat every penny as a personal prisoner and there is no way you would ever get away with claiming a penny more than they think you are owed.

Of course, if the "guidelines" were replaced with "rules" then it would be a start in the right direction, would it not?

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Not sure it would. Rules are somewhat irrelevant to honest, morally upstanding people and simply ignored by dishonest ones.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:17
Dutch saying says: Een brutaal mens heeft de halve wereld

Rough translation:
If you speak up / act out / break the rules to your own way, in a convincing manor you usually get away with it. In essance owning the world.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Am I jealous? Should I be jealous? Or should I simply take up politics?

The icing on the cake for the good old uk, it seems like all our politicians were making, dare I say fraudulent claims? And getting away with it! So, what is the country to do about this? We’re going to change the rules so that it can’t happen again! IMHO, auditors should be brought in and each of them made to repay what they have effectively stolen from the mouths of the country.

David Cameron screaming in the background for a general election as if butter wouldn’t melt in his or his party’s mouths, does he honestly – should I even use that word in the same sentence as the word politician? – believe that we will be fooled into thinking any other party would have done anything different? Are we to believe that there is such a thing as a politician who is not out there simply to line his own pocket?
It would appear that the claims are not actually fraudulent but are just taking full advantage of very loosely drafted rules. I am sure there are some honest politicians somewhere but they seem to be few and far between.

At least one member of Cameron's front bench team seems to have made some inappropriate claims so I don't think one side is any better than the other.

Given the large number of applicants evry time there is a vacancy perhaps we should make the job less attractive.

Last edited:

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Hazel Blears - lack of tax seem illegal though.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Politicians...OMG

The fact that they are now running around paying back the expenses that they have claimed shows that really they didn't need to claim them in the first place, they were just being greedy and trying to line their pockets from a seemingless bottom less well of taxpayers cash. :mad:

Example, the guy on the new today who claimed £16000 above his already paid mortgage, has now paid it back...

The fact that he has enough money at his disposal to just 'pay it back' at a moments notice meant that he never needed it in the first place. :mad:

Bunch of money grabbing w*nkers if you ask me.

My next vote will be going to UKIP, or Green party.

Mind you do I really want a bunch of independance or tree hugging nutcases running the country... mmmmm

Touth choise over what we have now :D

Extra_Cover

Registered User.
Local time
To follow on from Scotts post - While these politicians are paying back expenses they obviously can afford, who are they paying it back to? HMRC, a government department! Straight back in to the pot. I cannot see HMRC splitting up the money paid back and giving it back to the tax payer.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
To follow on from Scotts post - While these politicians are paying back expenses they obviously can afford, who are they paying it back to? HMRC, a government department! Straight back in to the pot. I cannot see HMRC splitting up the money paid back and giving it back to the tax payer.
In terms of the total tax take these amounts are negligible and are probly less than 1 penny per taxpayer. However the repayments may mean that some hospital gets a little extra cash. At least the politicians have been named and shamed:D

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
they should add an extra ballot paper to the June elections to ask what we think they should do with the money :D I can imagine the options they would offer:

Keep it, you earned it, we just like to know who you are
or
Pay it directly to the Labour Party because they have been in power for 12 years
or
Us it to send all MPs on a holiday, after all that's their holiday money they're paying back
:D :D

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Politicians...OMG

The fact that they are now running around paying back the expenses that they have claimed shows that really they didn't need to claim them in the first place, they were just being greedy and trying to line their pockets from a seemingless bottom less well of taxpayers cash. :mad:

Example, the guy on the new today who claimed £16000 above his already paid mortgage, has now paid it back...

The fact that he has enough money at his disposal to just 'pay it back' at a moments notice meant that he never needed it in the first place. :mad:

Bunch of money grabbing w*nkers if you ask me.

My next vote will be going to UKIP, or Green party.

Mind you do I really want a bunch of independance or tree hugging nutcases running the country... mmmmm

Touth choise over what we have now :D

Hey Scott

I do hope that's a real witch you're talking about there, and not simply a misspelling - witch with a capital B :D

I wouldn't worry too much about who to vote for, whoever gets in will always develop amnesia as far as the promises they made to get there are concerned. :mad:

Extra_Cover

Registered User.
Local time
Did anyone in the UK see the BBC programme 'Question Time' on the TV last night?

Brilliant TV. Was that fear in the MP's eyes?. At one stage I thought the audience were going to lynch the MPs. :D

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
No shame, no morals and I didn't see fear - I did heard more lies and insults to everyones intelligence though and an attempt to shift the blame.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I think Guy Fawkes had the right idea....

KABOOM...... :eek:

Bye Bye Politics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom