Favourite Music (1 Viewer)

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:31
points for the Eagles, James Taylor, Steely Dan, and Ry Cooder :D

Taylor, in addition to his song-writing, had some very interesting ideas on chord progression and assembly

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 14:31
heard of the first 3 but the last one ??- I'll have to download some of this and give you an opion

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
heard of the first 3 but the last one ??- I'll have to download some of this and give you an opion
He did all of the slide guitar work in the movie "Crossroads" (the one with Joe Seneca in the early 80's)

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
know the film - ... with that annoying kid in it
g
yeah, but despite lil' Master Macchio the music was great.:D

and if you get the soundtrack, it contains music not found in the final cut of the film...

R

Rich

OK I am claiming squatter's rights - I set this thread of so I should have some jurisitiction over it, but as we are now heading into The Blues

Muddy Waters (there are probabaly many who are techncally better) but He was the one that Clapton & Taylor and a million others got inspiration from

He was one of the originators of electric blues and the pinnacle is:

A Mannish Boy - END OF DISCUSSION

Yes but as has already been mentioned, Johnson preceded him:p

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:31
but what about john coletrain, miles davis (I think has been said already dont remember), louis armstrong, ray charles, nat king cole buddy holley ummm man cant htink of anymore of the top of my head

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:31
Now class, pay attention:

The Blues, if you had read the fine print, I specifically said Electric Blues in the Muddy Waters statement

That Robert Johnson preceded him is irrelevent (he was accoustic)

All the other contenders mentioned are all worthy (Ry Cooder is also high on my list of favourites) but for me, Muddy cannot be surpassed

statsman

Local time
Or the greatest blues man to ever pick up a guitar...BB King

He recenlty lost 60 pounds and started taking care of his diabetes. We may be able to enjoy him for a long while yet.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Guitarist, yes, but Waters is a better singer, has a better voice and for my taste, sings better songs

R

Rich

Now class, pay attention:

The Blues, if you had read the fine print, I specifically said Electric Blues in the Muddy Waters statement

That Robert Johnson preceded him is irrelevent (he was accoustic)

All the other contenders mentioned are all worthy (Ry Cooder is also high on my list of favourites) but for me, Muddy cannot be surpassed

But blues started out as acoustic therefore it has great relevance:p and the Stones version of Mannish Boy is still the best:cool:

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:31
You might try Le sacre du primtemps by Stravinsky. Or the planets from Holst or as an alternative : Also Sprach Zarathustra from Strauss.
i was going to mention 'Le sacre' (The Rite of Spring) too. it's a longish piece with a lot of variety but there are some seriously rocking moments! give it time if it rubs you the wrong way at first. it's one of my early favourites. if you're looking for Also Sprach make sure you look up RICHARD Strauss not Johann Strauss! (that's also a long piece with a lot of variety; the very beginning has the big finale! (used in '2001: A Space Odyssey').

more rocking classical music:

Short works
Dukas:
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice (a bit lighter; used in Walt Disney's 'Fantasia')
Ravel:
- Alborada del gracioso
- Rapsodie espagnol
R. Strauss:
- Don Juan
- Till Eulenspiegel

Long works
Bartok:
- The Miraculous Mandarin
Bernstein:
- Symphonic Dances from 'West Side Story'
Mahler:
- Symphonies: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9. (all a bit heavy for many listeners).
Orff:
- Carmina Burana
Prokofiev:
- Romeo and Juliet (Suites)
Rimsky-Korsakov:
- Capriccio espagnol
- Scheherezade
Shostakovich:
- Symphonies: 5, 10, 11. (10 and 11 are a bit heavy for many listeners).
Stravinsky:
- The Firebird (start with the suite).

ROCK
- the only rock band i still follow is Rush. i'm always curious to hear what they'll do next. (they are currently on tour supporting their 21st (?) studio album).
- used to listen mostly to Yes, King Crimson, etc., a few hard rock/early metal bands plus The Doors (huge fan for a while there) and Hendrix. things seemed to fade away somehow in the '80s IMHO.

"JAM BAND"
- Dave Matthews Band (esp. 'Busted Stuff', 'Crash')

JAZZ etc.
- most stuff from the early Blue Note days and Bop - Dizz, Bird, Miles, et al.
- Ellington, Buddy Rich Big Band.
- high quality ragtime music.

- Classical Indian music - it has to be the good stuff, not something you'd hear at a restaurant!

and so on...

Last edited:

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
ELP's version was best:cool:

Just scrolling through where this started & where it is now
To Rich, While I bemoan the sound quality of this, it did encourage me to get the classical version (a decision never regretted)

One thing has always puzzled me about the ELP version (and a mate who was a HUGE ELP fan)

Why did it not include Bydlo? I was always thoguht that to be the most naturally suited to an ELP remake and yet they skipped it????????

R

Rich

Not enough room on the recording technology that existed at the time, or maybe it was too complicated?:confused::D

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
What I meant from my initial rebuttal, Cream's Wheels Of Fire Live recording was made many years ealier, with less technology available - Listen to it now, even with digital etc etc - this STILL stands up as a great recording

Sorry, but ELP just botched this one

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Too complicated for ELP? They were Masters of the subject!

Bydlo is a relatively simple theme, but with great dynamics (similar in concept to Abbadon's Bolero) They tackled that, why not this?

R

Rich

What I meant from my initial rebuttal, Cream's Wheels Of Fire Live recording was made many years ealier, with less technology available - Listen to it now, even with digital etc etc - this STILL stands up as a great recording

Sorry, but ELP just botched this one

I've answered this before, in any case ELP didn't own the recording studio,the engineer, or the record label:mad:

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
But they could have said NO - this is not going out. They quite happily spent huge amounts of money on synth technology, light shows etc etc
Which gave us (shudder) the punk revolution because of the pomposity of all this!

Punk :
Ian Dury & the Blockheads - Big Tick
Devo - Big Tick
The Stranglers - Big Tick

The rest, 50's music played really fast and REALLY badly

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom