Feature wish list (if we change forum platform) (1 Viewer)

deletedT

Local time
Today, 23:22
Yes. exactly.

thanks.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Well, there are 4 or so improvements that you would get that you wanted if we switched. Did you vote in the poll yet?

deletedT

Local time
Well, there are 4 or so improvements that you would get that you wanted if we switched. Did you vote in the poll yet?

I was the forth one to vote and I voted No.
Mostly because of you and Minty were talking about Mr.Excel forum. I really don't like Mr.Excel mostly because of the floating ADs, and how they change their position in a page.
For me AWF's ADs placement is better and that was why I voted NO.

Now that almost all of my wishes come true, I'd like to change it to yes. But only admins are capable of it.

Can you do me a favor and change my vote?

Million thanks.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Jon
For info, I've been getting an error today whenever I open my browser (Edge) to this forum. The screen shows a Site is not available message for 1-2 seconds before the site loads and then runs perfectly.
If I close and reopen the browser it happens again.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:22
Some great suggestions; will make mine seem trivial I think. One thing I've noted elsewhere is the ease at which you can dump in Excel data, which automatically builds an html table, and that table is easily modified. The behaviour is good for
a) posting sample data because Excel is great for generating test data, and
b) it makes it very easy to copy and make a table out of if you're trying to help someone. In that case, you don't have to populate a table manually.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Micron
Not trivial at all. A great suggestion

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
+ 1 vote for the html / BB excel table generation / copy paste. Really helpful.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Tera, I have updated as requested.

@isladogs, noticed. It could be something to do with modsecurity which was installed to deal with the sql injection attacks. I wonder if we switched platform, whether or not those would reduce as there are less software vulnerabilities. That could let me turn off modsecurity.

@Micron, interesting points. I see there are various add-ons that can deal with that. Not sure if there are any vulnerabilities or not but can add to the list of possible changes, especially since 3 of you like the idea.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:22
Thanks. Interesting comments too.
To clarify, at AF.net I can just ctrl+V a range that I've copied from Excel. Maybe I'll have to adjust the table size to prevent line wrapping in cells, but that's easily done there. The result seems to know which row is the header and magically shades it. I find it works best if I center all the Excel text before copying.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
To address the moderation improvements in the backend, I believe they are much better. With this board, can a mod tell me if you can delete a spam user and all their messages in one go?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
There is more than one method of removing a spam user. The way I normally use allows me to delete all posts in one go, permanently ban the user and report them to the anti-spam service. When I forget, its a lot more hassle to delete one message at a time.

It isn't necessary to open the moderators control panel to do any of the above though it can also be done from there.
However the mods CP is clunky in other ways.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
If you are on a thread, can you estimate the number of clicks required to nuke that user and all their messages?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
From memory, I think its 4 clicks. Will check when I next do it which is typically about every 2-3 days

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok, just curious if Xenforo is a bit more efficient. We will see.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There is an add-on that sends a Weekly digest to members. It will give a list of the most popular topics on the forum. Does that get a thumbs up? Thumbs down? You can unsubscribe at any time.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thumbs up. I may not use it but I'm sure others would.

deletedT

Local time
There is an add-on that sends a Weekly digest to members. It will give a list of the most popular topics on the forum. Does that get a thumbs up? Thumbs down? You can unsubscribe at any time.

Sure thumbs up

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
If you are on a thread, can you estimate the number of clicks required to nuke that user and all their messages?

Jon
I just deleted posts by two spammers. In fact it took 6 clicks to permanently delete one of them.
The other I just deleted the post as it was more 'nuanced'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom