Feature wish list (if we change forum platform) (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:37
Thanks for that. Maybe it is a similar number of clicks in Xenforo, not 100% sure. I do like that banning a member as Spam ends up banning the IP, deleting all their posts, profiles etc. Probably the same here.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm curious, how would you use the bookmarks feature linked to earlier in this thread?

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
I think Xenforo does appear to be an improvement. Would like to see the stats more easily of posters but once you know where to look its probably ok...

I've come across width concerns with responsive designs as well. Sometimes its easily configurable and sometimes its not. Width however is very much a personal preference thing... I ended up going with standard widths on my blog just because was easier than trying to bespoke edit it... At some point in the future I am hoping I will have the option to shift to a theme where it is at least partially configurable.

I would say once you are in a XENforo thread and reading the comments I consider the width to be perfect (on that Xenforo thread linked to maybe its different in others?)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
To get an idea of some of the stats features, check out this link: https://themindtavern.com/community/members/

Also, note that under each tab at the top, there are sublinks. And under the "What's new" tab, you can see latest forum activity. If you "follow" any members you can also see all their posts under "your news feed".

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There is a signup through Facebook option, which might increase new member registration rate. Save people having to type in all the details to become a member.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I'm curious, how would you use the bookmarks feature linked to earlier in this thread?

I regularly refer back to a number of threads in order to provide links in new posts. At the moment I store these in browser favourites. Doing so in the forum itself would be better.

Good idea about using the newsletter to encourage less regular visitors to return. Perhaps make it an option at join up and in user preferences.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes, I am unaware of the legalities of sending out the newsletter, but I can cover that ground after transfer. But in principle, I think the idea is a great one. It is about churn. If we can retain more in our sticky spiders web, it could help us grow.

I wonder what the other access forums have that encourages users to hang out there, rather than here.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Would a Xenforo "Resources Manager" be useful for this site? I was thinking about for storing coding snippets, maybe even database examples, or whatever.

This page is a resource manager example: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:37
If that morphs things like the current code repository into a vehicle for marketing what is now free it wouldn't interest me at all. The very nature of the current format (which is altruistic) would become commercialized. That would be bad, IMHO.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
On the Xenforo site, they have both free and paid stuff in their Resource Manager. It acts as a vehicle for people who want to develop paid products, to display their wares.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Hah, funny.

This is the Resource Manager's intended purpose, as stated on their site: "The XenForo Resource Manager is an add-on that allows you to manage resources such as files and tutorials or other article-like content along side your normal forum. The aim is allow content such as files to be listed with a focus on the initial content rather than discussion surrounding it."

You will note that for each resource, there is the main page with the details of the file/code/whatever, and then another link where you can discuss it.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 18:37
@Collin
I regularly refer back to a number of threads in order to provide links in new posts. At the moment I store these in browser favourites. Doing so in the forum itself would be better]

This can be done, but it is just cumbersome and you have to subscribe first. That is why I like something cleaner.
1. Go to subscribed threads
2. Pick the thread
3. Select "Move To Folder"
4. Select "Favorites"

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
A little like that. It is all a side issue for now though. I think all the other collection of mini improvements will add up to a substantial benefit to members here. Just hope Google doesn't cut our legs off regarding traffic. That is the totally unpredictable part.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:37
Would appreciate a 'Top' button to quickly return to top of page. AccessForums.net has it on QuickReply window, UtterAccess has it on each post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom