Forum software change - yay or nay? (1 Viewer)

Should we switch to Xenforo 2.1 forum software?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Unsure - too risky/losing the Thanks/like this software/other

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:23
That has a warm and fuzzy "similar" feel, I like it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just found out that Xenforo allows different themes, which are user selectable! So, I could install a vBulletin theme, like in the links I gave. Or you could choose the default Xenforo theme, for those who like a more modern look. Or even a Dark Mode theme. So each user here could have a choice. Hmmm, very appealing.

Example dark mode: https://xenforo.com/community/attac...responsive-forum-style-forum-list-jpg.216210/

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Perfect. You could change over to Xenforo and some of us wouldn't even realise :)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
I can see why you are nervous Jon - I m not a massive fan of mobile for this kind of thing as I very rarely access it that way. Also there is quite a bit of loss of detail on the stats of the individual users on the left hand side. Might be configurable - don't know but you don't get an instant feel of the quality of the answers from the individuals especially as a new user.

How many times someone has been thanked seems to correlate well with their competence plus where they come from gives a bit of context. I find the opening screen kind of narrow as well. On my desktop xenForo's own forum only uses about half the screen which seems a tremendous waste.

The categorisation of Well-know member seems somewhat bland.

Oh I just see there is a way of instantly seeing stats by hovering over name

Much better that goes some way to countering my concerns.

As a database person my natural bias is towards rich dense information

https://www.phpbb.com/community/

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Lightwave, interesting points on the user stats. Maybe you have to hover the mouse over their avatar to get the details. Edit: Ah, just noticed that you noticed!

Now for the narrowness of the opening screen...I actually prefer it! My understanding is that the research suggests that reading long sentences on one line reduces comprehension. It may explain why newspaper columns tend to be narrow.

One of the benefits of Xenforo is that the forum sections start higher up the page, or "above-the-fold" as they say. This helps the user experience, since you would see more forum sections or threads or content without having to scroll. i worked out I would get an extra 3 forum sections displayed on the index page, if we switched. Google theoretically prefers this too.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just in case anybody is interested, my current position is 70:30 towards switching. I am inching closer!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Just in case anybody is interested, my current position is 70:30 towards switching. I am inching closer!

10 to 1 on the poll. Go for it:)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
At 80:20 now. :D

I would add the Weekly Digest email newsletter that pumps out the top forum threads. I am sure this would encourage less active members to revisit the site more often. I want to try to increase user engagement on this site and that might help part of it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I just put my vote into the poll, and now we are on 85% suggesting we should switch to Xenforo. My current thinking is that we have a 90% chance of switching. If so, it would be likely to happen anytime within the next 7 days. So, if you see the boards have been closed, you will know why.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Haha, yes I know. But I want help from the Borg!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:23
I've been assimilated and I didn't even realize it?!? :eek:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It's subtle and creeps up on you over the years...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Something I am curious about, how do you guys go find and search for posts to reply to? What is your process? Do you go to view what the latest threads are in the Top 10 stats section near the bottom of the site? Or another process?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I use advanced search based on my memory of good examples relevant to the question asked (both topic and author).
The top ten lists are irrelevant to this process as they are all water cooler threads e.g. Are you an atheist, best/worst joke etc

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for the New Posts link. I forgot I put that there! I've been scrolling down to the Top 10 section all the time, on my own forum!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:23
I forgot I put that there!

Ha! I've never done that. Okay, I have had people ask for a new report, start to build it, feel like it's familiar, realize I built it x months ago and forgot. :D

Edit: and obviously the users forgot too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom