Why won't anyone respond to my post? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_smithwick

Underpaid Programmer
Local time
Today, 03:53
For those of you who might be wondering why you can't get a response to a question you have posted, I thought I might at least post a few reasons why I don't respond to a post, even if I know the answer:

1) It is apparent from the question and it's REALLY simple solution that the questioner has not even bothered to use the in-program HELP yet before coming to the forum. At least seek to help yourself as much as possible before asking me to donate my valuable time to type a free answer. Google it, go to the help menu first, etc... I do it all the time.

2) The English, spelling, grammar in the post is SOOOO bad it is unreadable. If you aren't spending the time to proofread your post then you are probably making stupid typing mistakes in your code as well. You are lazy. You don't deserve help. (Yes, I know this sounds mean, but I'm grumpy and old and have paid my dues and earned the right to be so, so all you haters - BRING IT ON!):mad:

3) The answer will require more time than I currently have to contribute. I do have a job and can't waste too much time on the forum. Maybe I'll re-examine your problem later at home if it intrigues me.

4) Your code as posted is not formatted and you have not followed any sensible naming conventions. You are lazy too. You don't deserve help. (Yes, I know this sounds mean, see #2 above):mad:

5) You are a novice/beginner and have asked a question that sounds like you just dived into Access feet first, haven't read a damned thing and want someone to give you a quick answer to your complex data manipulation need ("I want to click a button and have A, B, C and D happen. Where do I put this code?, etc..."). Piss off. Pick up a book and at least try and master the program to a basic level first. This is not a How-do-I-use-Access class. (Yes, I know this sounds mean, see #2 above):mad:

6) Finally, as god-like as I envision myself to be, maybe I just don't know the answer. Whadya want for FREE?

O.K. all you haters and owners of opinions, let the abuse begin. I'm in the mood for some good reading and a few laughs.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 22:53
As a receiver of help from this forum I must agree with you that sometimes, especially when the answer is so simple, I feel that I should have worked it out myself, but then, often it is a mind block issue. ie, you may not even know what the question is.

Appreciate all the help I get and trust, as time goes on, I can assist with some basic posts and try to return the favor.

Hang in there:)

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:53

2) The English, spelling, grammar in the post is SOOOO bad it is unreadable. If you aren't spending the time to proofread your post then you are probably making stupid typing mistakes in your code as well. You are lazy. You don't deserve help. (Yes, I know this sounds mean, but I'm grumpy and old and have paid my dues and earned the right to be so, so all you haters - BRING IT ON!):mad:

I suppose it never occured to you that many of the posters here are NOT from English speaking countries and even if they were many do not know what to ask for. In any event this isn't a school examination board:rolleyes:

c_smithwick

Underpaid Programmer
Local time
So, if I am in Italy, speaking broken Italian, and in my effort to ask, "Where is the movie theater?", I instead ask, "What is dog instead my poop, sir?", is the helpful Italian man I have stopped to ask my query of supposed to read my mind and direct me to the movie theater? I know I have no sympathy but, like I said - I'm grumpy and old and have paid my dues and earned the right to be so! And just because this isn't a school examination board is no excuse. Similar to the old adage which states, "It's how you act when NO ONE IS LOOKING that determines your real character", similarly, taking care to be correct and careful when you are not being graded on it is an indication of how attentive to detail you are. If it's not worth your time to make sure you ask your question clearly by READING it to make sure it's clear, then it's definately not worth my time to answer it. You are lazy. You don't deserve help.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
You are lazy. You don't deserve help.[/QUOTE]

Thats a bit harsh - quite often I have thrown a post together and the spelling/grammer can be quite bad (in fact the spelling is usually tits up somewhere)

However that does not mean I am lazy and don't deserve help

in my office I might brainstorm say 500 words for a PR exercise and I will not check the grammer as I am going along I just put the thoughts in writing -en block

then we brainstorm it and one of my workmates - will highlight the typos correct the grammer etc... as I will not be able to see my own mistakes

bad grammer is not a sign of laziness - Richard Branson's grammer /spelling is really bad - is he lazy - G-Brown grammer is poor - but he is not lazy (he's just a tosser)

I am not having a go - but that's not the right attitude to have -

when I go overseas on hols or work i try to learn the basics of the country i am going to - If I mispronouce a word - it doesn't matter too much as the host country person is usually pleased/happy that i have taken a bit of time to try and speak to them - this is just common curtesey -
I ramble

c_smithwick

Underpaid Programmer
Local time
Anyone, and I mean anyone (Mr. Branson included) who knows they are incorrect, but chooses to ignore it because they perceive that it is not that important or because they can't be bothered by trivial matters is not only lazy, but being a bit disrespectful and quite frankly, pompous. If we all paid more attention to the little things now and then, well ..... I ramble as well. My point really is that someone who is asking me to take a CAREFUL look at their code or problem to help them reach a solution, but hasn't even bothered to take a careful look to make sure their question is clear or that their code isn't populated with typos or simple mistakes is being lazy. Before you ask me to donate my valuable time to assist you - and I will gladly do so - at least prove to me that you have donated your OWN valuable(?) time to solving the problem on your own first, a key indicator of which is a carefully worded and clear question. The public indication of your attention to detail is a key indicator of your private attention to detail. If one is lacking, chances are so is the other. When you don't do it right and then make excuses for why it's not important to do it right, then not only are you lazy, but you're also a whiner! Grrrr!:mad::mad::mad:

eburgtech

Jack of All Trades
Local time
lol I found this whole thread hilarious. I have to say, even though I am new here, I agree with c_smithwick. I pride myself on being articulate and the few questions I have posted, I made a deliberate effort to clearly enunciate my questions. Also, I had already spent more-than-likely hours scouring the web and MS Access help for a solution before posting. Oftentimes, I'll download other people's sample databases, examine their code and try to figure out how they did what they did and then see if I can duplicate it in my database. Not only have a learned a ton from doing that but it has also made it so that if I do have to ask a question, I think it pretty much deserves some assistance. All that being said, I've received responses from all of my posts. Neener...neener. lol :cool:

c_smithwick

Underpaid Programmer
Local time
lol I found this whole thread hilarious. I have to say, even though I am new here, I agree with c_smithwick. I pride myself on being articulate and the few questions I have posted, I made a deliberate effort to clearly enunciate my questions. Also, I had already spent more-than-likely hours scouring the web and MS Access help for a solution before posting. Oftentimes, I'll download other people's sample databases, examine their code and try to figure out how they did what they did and then see if I can duplicate it in my database. Not only have a learned a ton from doing that but it has also made it so that if I do have to ask a question, I think it pretty much deserves some assistance. All that being said, I've received responses from all of my posts. Neener...neener. lol :cool:

Rock on.:cool:

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:53
Whoa...number 4 is especially harsh. Before I started coming here I didn't really *know* about naming conventions, but it's one of the things I've learned. And though I freely admit that I receive more help than I give, I do try to pay the favour forwards by helping someone else. OK, sometimes that means I have to try and find the newbie who's posted something really simple but hasn't had a reply yet, but I really look for those. There's only so much you can learn form books, help menus etc. and you may be banging your head on a wall until someone explains things in a different way or comes up with a creative suggestion you'd never have thought of by yourself.

This place is an absolute goldmine. Please go easy on those of us who use Access as an occasional tool and may not be as up to speed as we could be on some of the more arcane issues.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I think if someone expects too much from the people who post questions here, they should go away and do something else. Get over it. It isn't about you. It is about providing help to people regardless of how they ask. Sure they need to learn. But if you see something you don't like, move on and help someone else. Leave those that you find irritating or disgusting for someone else to deal with who doesn't have a problem with them. There are posts I sometimes avoid because I just know that there are going to be language barriers and sometimes I'm not up for trying to deal with that. But other times I might pop in and try.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 22:53
I agree with Big Pat, let us "lower Level" members help with the simple and maybe irritating posts, as we may find them a little more interesting and as we do so, we gain some further experience.

c_smithwick

Underpaid Programmer
Local time
O.K. all you haters and owners of opinions, let the abuse begin. I'm in the mood for some good reading and a few laughs.

Could this be a clue that I'm maybe baiting you guys - fanning the flames for my own amusement?? Nothing funnier than getting folks riled up on a forum, sitting back and watching the flames flicker! Great fun when you're bored at the job.:D:D

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Could this be a clue that I'm maybe baiting you guys - fanning the flames for my own amusement?? Nothing funnier than getting folks riled up on a forum, sitting back and watching the flames flicker! Great fun when you're bored at the job.:D:D

Consider this a warning not to do that again in the regular forum area. The Watercooler is fine but not in the help areas. Or, you will have a vacation like another member recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom