Frustration of No Feedbacks (1 Viewer)

supercharge

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:29
I found it quite unfair for those of you (including myself) who posted answers to questions without ever receiving any feedback for the advises. At least, I'd like to know if it worked or not.

Can we make this a forum rule?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:29
I prefer to not have the forums cluttered with thank yous and your welcomes.

I presume that when a thread ends it is because the suggestion worked. When I want specific feedback because I am not sure of my suggestion, I ask for it and so far, everyone has complied.

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 16:29
I think a little middle of the road is where I would sit. Do not think that making it a rule is the correct way togo but sometimes it is nice to know that a suggestion/hint actually worked.

Help/assistance falls into different areas.
1) Yup done this, know exactly the problem...here is the fix
2) Hmm Try this or that.

Think it is the category 2 where we would all benefit from feedback. Lots of time I view a problem from interest and learning point of view and it would be nice to know the solution.

Think there are lots of situations where the helpee does acknowledge the guidance being given so a Rule I think No

Len

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Even if it were a rule it would be impossible to enforce.

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Pat Hartman said:
I prefer to not have the forums cluttered with thank yous and your welcomes.

Hear Hear! We English can go off the deep end with politeness... Where would it all end? If you get a reply to the thread thanking, bask in the warm glow. If you don't get any response, take it on the chin ;-) I presume we are all here helping through a mixture of ego, altruism and "doasyouwouldbedoneunto"; personally I help out because if I am stuck, I would hope that someone would help me. I think anyone helping out just to be thanked will get pretty frustrated, PDQ!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I'm with Len on this. If you say "do this" you only expect a response if it fails, if you say "I think" then maybe a response would be welcome, also some people produce reems of code maybe their efforts should be acknowledged, but I can see where Pat is coming from.

Brian

Bat17

Registered User.
Local time
Where I would like to see an improvement is when several of us make varying suggestions and there is no answer or just a "Thanks, That worked!"
With no indication of which solution was effective people coming in from search don't know the best one to try first.

Peter

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That's true Bat, if they're going to bother to reply it would be nice to know which solution they managed to get working.

greaseman

Closer to seniority!
Local time
Today, 10:29
On a VB forum I visit, they ask that if your "plight" has been solved to your satisfaction, that you edit your first posting of the subject at hand, to include "[RESOLVED]".

For example:

Posting: How do I spell Access?

Solution put forth by member alphabeta: Here is your answer......

Original posting: How do I spell Access? [RESOLVED]

That way, you have the topic and also know it has been resolved.

What do y'all think?

R

Rich

What happens if the question's been resolved using the wrong answer

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
The problem is the people ask questions, but then never respond to let anyone knof if it's resolved...if they never respond, how do you know to mark the thread resolved?

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
When people have helped me out i have always thanked them and placed there logon name so the other people can see who came up with the best idea.

supercharge

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
What happens if the question's been resolved using the wrong answer

How can a "wrong answer" resolve a problem? Sorry for my stupidity!

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
supercharge said:
How can a "wrong answer" resolve a problem? Sorry for my stupidity!

Because people can offer "workarounds" rather than offer a solution that will eliminate the need for a workaround i.e. do it properly

emcf

Local time
Vassago said:
The problem is the people ask questions, but then never respond to let anyone knof if it's resolved...if they never respond, how do you know to mark the thread resolved?

how about a voluntary scheme for people to class questions as resolved? could it be possible for the thread starter to have an option displayed for them to click once the solution has worked for them? it may not be used on all question threads but this would at least build up a decent amount of genuine solutions, especially with questions between regular users of the site.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
nateobot said:
If asked, they might be willing to share the [RESOLVED] code.

People just click EDIT and then change the title of their post, as I recall.

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
Idea

Resolved cases could then be pulled off and placed in a resolved tab for others to look at. This will cut down the number of cases in the active state, and will enable people to just view active cases in stead of all case.

Not knowing if these have been fixed and closed is a waste of time to both the helper and the helpee.

Just my option on the subject.

Alastair

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
alastair69 said:
Resolved cases could then be pulled off and placed in a resolved tab for others to look at.

On a forum with hundreds of posts created and answered each day. That's too much work. I find having to move posts from the Access FAQ forum bad enough (can we get a description telling people not to post questions there?).

Bat17

Registered User.
Local time
but maybe an option to only search for solved soulution would make the search more productive

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom