G20 - Gee Whiz (1 Viewer)

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:53
I notice a lot of countries (Obama, Brown, Rudd) are taking action on executive salaries, but seem quite happy to dine with the Queen, with Jamie Oliver as their chief (and their wives included)

Do I sense a note of double standards??

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:53
And m p's are getting a pay rise:rolleyes:

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I notice a lot of countries (Obama, Brown, Rudd) are taking action on executive salaries, but seem quite happy to dine with the Queen, with Jamie Oliver as their chief (and their wives included)

Brown and Rudd are both appointed by the Queen (indirectly through the Governor-General in Rudd's case) so it could be discourteous if they refused her invitation. Obama could argue he was saving the american taxpayer money by dining with her rather than buying his own:D

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
And Jamie's feeding them the school dinners that kids refuse to eat......

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 10:53

I don't think the queens in an executive role is she?

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
I heard on the news last night that the partners were sent next door to number 11 for their tea, still prepared by Jamie. Poor wee scone must have been run ragged.

On the subject of MP's wasting our money though, how come they get an allowance for a second home that is more than most people in the country earn in a year? And how come they still get away with abusing that allowance and claiming things they shouldn't?

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I heard on the news last night that the partners were sent next door to number 11 for their tea, still prepared by Jamie. Poor wee scone must have been run ragged.

On the subject of MP's wasting our money though, how come they get an allowance for a second home that is more than most people in the country earn in a year? And how come they still get away with abusing that allowance and claiming things they shouldn't?

Yeah...

Big and Busty Lesbian Vixens....

Paid for by you and me... :D

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time

Its called double standards.

Do not be surprised. Look around. How may people with some degree of "power" use the "power" to ensure that they are treated differently to the lower ranks.

L

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Its called double standards.

Do not be surprised. Look around. How may people with some degree of "power" use the "power" to ensure that they are treated differently to the lower ranks.

L

I've obviously just been very sheltered from such actions, "working" as I do for ... :eek:

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:53

On the other hand, I heard that the Obamas have opted to pay for White House renovations out of their own pockets, which seems reasonable to me.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
How quaint - out of their own pockets - which happen to be filled by the taxpayers... aside from George Bush' taste in art which leads to mandatoru replacement of the Dogs Playing Poker painting on velvet in the parlour and leave the rest of the redecorating until the economy is doing a bit better...

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Ooooops - good timing Stephen Harper - missed the family photo while you were having a pee...

...guess we will just have to photoshop you in there like in the 2007 International AIDS Conference

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:53
How quaint - out of their own pockets - which happen to be filled by the taxpayers... aside from George Bush' taste in art which leads to mandatoru replacement of the Dogs Playing Poker painting on velvet in the parlour and leave the rest of the redecorating until the economy is doing a bit better...

Your answer seems to imply that the president doesn't deserve to draw a salary for his labor, or that he is not entitled to spend his salary as he wishes. Yes, all government employee salaries are payed with tax dollars, that's how it works, at least until we can figure out how to get people to work for free.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:53
Won't he receive the same salary, regardless of whether or not he redecorates?

Seems like a fair enough gesture to me. If he wants to repaint, he pays for it.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Your answer seems to imply that the president doesn't deserve to draw a salary for his labor, or that he is not entitled to spend his salary as he wishes. Yes, all government employee salaries are payed with tax dollars, that's how it works, at least until we can figure out how to get people to work for free.

I think they've already figured that out, at least here in the UK at local level :(

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
I am not implying he does not deserve to be paid, I am pointing out that his priority is to redecorate while there are a growing number of his fellow Americans pondering more important things. While the first family picks out drapery and colour selection, other families are being evicted from their homes and trying to find shelter for their loved ones.

Working for free would be an improvement, many people have been working for negative numbers which is called going bankrupt.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I am not implying he does not deserve to be paid, I am pointing out that his priority is to redecorate while there are a growing number of his fellow Americans pondering more important things. While the first family picks out drapery and colour selection, other families are being evicted from their homes and trying to find shelter for their loved ones.

Working for free would be an improvement, many people have been working for negative numbers which is called going bankrupt.
"The labourer is worthy of his hire". "If you pay peanuts you get monkeys". Perhaps working for free would not be as great as it seems.

In any case how much input will Mr Obama have in the redecoration. I expect like most men he will merely be asked to confirm his wife's choice:D

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 13:53

He has been on the job, since before he took office, I can't imagine why anyone would object to fixing up the house. Plus local workers are getting a pay check from the effort. We always seem to forget that part.

When the home building industry tanked, I took a $69,000 pay cut, I still take my photos and enjoy the company of my friends.
At a time like this, all people need to find a diversion. Especially someone who is whole heartedly trying to fix the problems.

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Did anyone see Michelle Obama speaking to some schoolkids? Telling them how wonderful she is as first lady, look how well I've done, I used to be poor etc etc

Yuk - she knew which side her bread was buttered when she met whats-his-name.

Plus, she put her arm round the Queen!!!!! How disrespectful - typical uneducated Yank.

Col

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Did anyone see Michelle Obama speaking to some schoolkids? Telling them how wonderful she is as first lady, look how well I've done, I used to be poor etc etc

She was poor? Ah, but would that be a politicians version of poor or our version of poor?

Plus, she put her arm round the Queen!!!!! How disrespectful - typical uneducated Yank.

Ack, it's time the old lady lightened up a bit anyway. I think you'll find that a hug is an American sign of respect...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom