Solved General Advice for Multi User Split DB (1 Viewer)

Kha

Local time
Today, 14:46
Hi,
I feel that my database is performing slowly, are there advice or settings to improve the performance of my database (split database)?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:46
Depends what is causing slow performance - network, server, data structure, queries, file size?

Kha

Local time
Depends what is causing slow performance - network, server, data structure, queries, file size?
Size 30 MB
General Advice please

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:46
Are you using a persistent connection?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
take a look at these threads

There may be something you can do that you are not doing at the moment.

Reactions: Kha

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Since theDBGuy appears to be unavailable at the moment, let me offer some info on the subject of persistent connections.

Your front end periodically reaches out to the back end to retrieve data or update data. Each time it does that, it first has to make sure there is a connection between them. If not, it has to start one. That is often a cause for slow performance in a split relational database application.

The way many savvy developers deal with that is that they never let the connection between them drop. How? They open a small, hidden form which is bound to one table in the back end and leave it open. That maintains the connection, i.e. makes it persistent. And that usually improves performance noticeably.

Reactions: Kha

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'm not on board with the idea of demanding "general advice". A problem is something to troubleshoot for the purpose of narrowing it - that's the whole point of being a trouble-shooter. You need to identify and isolate one specific slow thing or function, and then troubleshoot it - and ask for advice on that.

At that point, you may have epiphanies and learning experiences that you can generalize outward, but trying to do the reverse is not generally the way to approach programming and tuning and specifically the interplay between your own program vs. advice from the community.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 09:46
Hello everyone, what's happening? So my car is not running well. I do not have the time, energy, or interest in providing you any details. Researching this on Google seemed a lot of work. Yeahhh..., so if you can spend your time providing me everything I need, that would be Great. Thanks.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Kha You are very new here and we're happy to have you. I appreciate the like but we are not children here. You don't need you to "like" our questions. You will have a far better experience if you simply answer questions so we can give you more targeted answers. Then report back on suggestions that actually worked. Simply "liking" everything is totally useless.

Kha

Local time
@Kha You are very new here and we're happy to have you. I appreciate the like but we are not children here. You don't need you to "like" our questions. You will have a far better experience if you simply answer questions so we can give you more targeted answers. Then report back on suggestions that actually worked. Simply "liking" everything is totally useless.
you are right
I apologize

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Hello everyone, what's happening? So my car is not running well. I do not have the time, energy, or interest in providing you any details. Researching this on Google seemed a lot of work. Yeahhh..., so if you can spend your time providing me everything I need, that would be Great. Thanks.
the way that guy talks reminds me of beavis and butthead's high school teacher

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
the way that guy talks reminds me of beavis and butthead's high school teacher
That is a very astute observation. Beavis' and Butthead teacher, Mr. David Van Driessen, is voiced by Mike Judge. Mike Judge is the shows creator. Also happens to be the writer and Director of Office Space. Gary Cole who plays Lundbergh also voiced in Beavis and Butt-Head, so there is a link.

Last edited:

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That is a very astute observation. Beavis' and Butthead teacher, Mr. David Van Driessen, is voiced by Mike Judge. Mike Drudge is the shows creator. Also happens to be the writer and Director of Office Space. Gary Cole who plays Lundbergh also voiced in Beavis and Butt-Head, so there is a link.
But Mike Judge also made King of the Hill. I'm sure that's what real America does. The boy ain't right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom