Graph heavy Report is very slow (1 Viewer)

emorris1000

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:42
I have a report that lets you select which graphs you want on it and then it generates the report.

To do this it has every possible graph in the upper left hand corner of the report but they are set to 'visible = no'. If they are selected they will be made visible and then moved to the appropriate position (depending on how many graphs are selected)

This report has 10 graphs in it. Each graph has ~2k points in it. I could sort of understand this being the cause of the slowdown but from what I can tell the real slowstep is in moving the graphs.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm trying to figure out a way to speed this up without resorting to building the graphs ad-hoc in Word. This may be my only way out until Access decides to drop MS Graph though...

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:42
How slow is "very slow", 5 seconds, a minut or ???
I don't know if it could help to set the Row Source to Nothing for the graphs which is invisible.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:42
I would also check that relevant fields in your data are properly indexed and if you have high volumes of data you are avoiding the domain functions (DCount, etc) and using sub queries instead

emorris1000

Registered User.
Local time
Slow means ~30 seconds to 1 minute. I'll give the empty row source a try. Since the slowdown seems to happen when moving the graphs into position I may add the rowsource after the move.

CJ, I don't believe I am using domain functions, but could you give some more information on what you mean by "properly indexed"?

Let me describe the structure of the report:

The main report is based on a query that links the Sample_ID with the corresponding Graph_Sample_IDs in some join tables for each graph (I would prefer if these were the same but they aren't due to some complicated reasons). Each graph then uses the Graph_Sample_ID to link to the actual x/y data for each graph through a 1-many relationship on Graph_Sample_ID. The graph data tables only have an autonumber for their primary key. However they are ordered/organized by Graph_Sample_ID (I don't know if this matters)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:42
I meant are your tables indexed on the fields you are using as the source for your graphs - typically on fields you a linking on or have criteria

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:42
Rather than moving the controls around just stack them and make one visible and bring it to the top.

emorris1000

Registered User.
Local time
The graphs are pulled using a one to many relationship based on the sample ID#. They are indexed on the "one" side of the relationships, but not on the "many" side. I didn't realize you could index on a non-unique-non-primary key field, I will try that and see if it helps.

As for Pat's suggestion, the report requires that the graphs be dynamically positioned based on selection. I need to show more than one graph. Not sure if that's what you meant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom