Growing My Business (1 Viewer)

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 13:26
This is a little preliminary, but my business is starting to take off. I am not going to be able to write code, and promote my business at the same time.

I need help and hopefully lots of it. Any of you guys out there that are interested in working with me on this please send me a PM.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
About a year ago I started building a Management System for subcontractors. I now have it installed in 2 locations.

Years ago (before the robotic camera rig) I was pretty successful at installing midsized phone systems and networks (150 to 500 stations). After the robotic experiment left me broke, I opened a small wood shop. I spent the last 2 years in abject poverty living in a small apartment I built in the shop.

For the last year I have been working on this data base. It was written specifically for production subs, not general contractors, and is receiving rave reviews by the customers. So I’m going to create version 2 and then I’m going to write another one specifically for builders.

In the mean time I got a lead to build one for a small oil company and a mental health facility.

So to answer your question; database design.

Last edited:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
It’s funny because a lot of “programmers” would consider me a novice when it comes to writing code or creating SQL statements. But I am capitalizing on my strengths in communications and understanding of how people work, and how they are motivated.

My vision is to seek out niches that require highly specific data management needs and produce systems that meet those needs. Thereby keeping out of the sites of the big boys, so to speak.

So I have decided to recruit talented people to create the “behind the scenes stuff” to make my vision of database design come to fruition.

This morning I am working on my web site, so soon you can see a demo of the Production Subcontractors Management System.

On that note any input on a name for the system would be appreciated. Also any ideas on a better web site would be welcome. In fact any input you guys have on this subject, please feel free to lend it.

statsman

Local time
Half the battle in starting your own business is finding your niche. I started out doing consulations. One of my sub-services was doing statistical work and also income tax returns.

Right now, the tax returns are a huge part of my business if only seasonal. The statistical part is my mainstay. I rarely do consultations.

PS whats your web address.

hooks

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:26
Here are a couple thoughts. First off I am no expert at business or web design but i did have an online business for a little while so I did learn a few things.

First thing i would do is be sure that your business name and website name do not violate any trademarks. I learned that the very hard way. Can anyone say lawsuit.

Second thing is I wouldn't use Flash or Java on my website.

Just my thoughts.

Hooks

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
hooks said:
Here are a couple thoughts. First off I am no expert at business or web design but i did have an online business for a little while so I did learn a few things.

First thing i would do is be sure that your business name and website name do not violate any trademarks. I learned that the very hard way. Can anyone say lawsuit.

Second thing is I wouldn't use Flash or Java on my website.

Just my thoughts.

Hooks
why no Flash?

hooks

Registered User.
Local time
I and a lot of people i know just can't stand it. I believe that a business web site should be straight html/asp.net/php so that the end users don't have to download any software to simply view your web page.

Flash probably isn't that bad because i have read studies that like 95% of pcs have Flash loaded.

The company that i work for doesn't use flash. You have to contact the help desk to have it loaded. So out of the 2000 or so pcs at my company maybe 100 of them have Flash.

Also be sure that your website looks good with all browsers.

Hooks

Last edited:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:26
jsanders said:
why no Flash?

A customer wanting an app for data access will quickly become disinterested in graphics. Their main priority will be the speed of the data being rendered to their browser and the clarity of its presentation. As the data transfer is going over the internet you want to keep your page sizes to a minimum which means losing the fancy graphics.

Flash is not really used anymore because of this reason. If a page doesn't load quickly, the customer will probably not re-visit your site.

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
Today, 12:26
jsanders said:
why no Flash?

At least a few years ago, I had read that search engines had a hard time indexing flash-only pages. Things may have changed since then, but I'd take a look into that.

hooks

Registered User.
Local time
dan-cat said:
Here is a link to some of my work - what do you think?

Very nice. someday i hope to be able to do something like that. Are you using CSS?

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:26
hooks said:
Very nice. someday i hope to be able to do something like that. Are you using CSS?

Not to a great extent - it's actually the front-end to a content management system written in .net so the html you see rendered is defined by a secure CMS. Sorry can't show you the administrative section - top secret and all that :p

statsman

Local time
If you HAVE to use Flash, make sure to include a "Skip Intro" option.
I still use dial up and it takes forever to download.

hooks

Registered User.
Local time
lol

How hard would it be to make your page go all the way across the screen no matter what resolution you are using?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
hooks said:
lol

How hard would it be to make your page go all the way across the screen no matter what resolution you are using?
very easily actually

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
QUOTE=hooks]Can i buy a hint??[/QUOTE]

revisit my site I just changed it.

Code:
<!-- Created by SWiSH - Flash made easy - only $49.95 - www.swishzone.com -->
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<center>
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
  codebase="http://active.macromedia.com/flash4/cabs/swflash.cab#version=4,0,0,0"
  id="Index" width="100%" height="100%">
  <param name="movie" value="Index.swf">
  <param name="quality" value="high">
  <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF">
  <embed name="Index" src="Index.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"
    width="100%" height="100%"
    type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">
  </embed>

And Oh yeah Swish is a thousand times easier to learn than flash.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom