Guitar players? (1 Viewer)

venivici

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:11
Any guitar players here or forum members over at TGP or other?

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:11
I'm a guitar (acoustic) and piano player. Was in a band once lol

tinyevil777

Registered User.
Local time
I'm a guitarist, play in a band semi professionally.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 06:11
We've had this topic come up before. I know there are a lot of musically talented members here. I wish I had an ounce of some of the talent I've heard here.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 03:11
Acoustic player - although some might not call it music .. still learning and loving it

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:11
We've had this topic come up before. I know there are a lot of musically talented members here. I wish I had an ounce of some of the talent I've heard here.

Many assume that musical talent is something lucky people are born with and never realise it is within their own capability. You would be surprised how easy it is to learn to sing. Far easier than any instrument.

Singing is to speaking like running is to walking. Many people undervalue the incredible achievement in learning to talk or walk. Singing and running are just a little more developed than their precursors.

Sure, if you want to be a gymnast you will need to work hard and practise a lot but anyone who can speak naturally can also learn to sing quite beautifully. There are surprisingly few core principles involved in singing and they can be taught.

Visit a singing teacher and you may be pleasantly surprised at what you can learn quite quickly especailly if you have an inclination to mathematics.

One of the really interesting things about singing is the possibility to immediately perfect adsorbed theoretical concepts without practicing as one must do in activities that use the preipheral nervous system such as say golf or tennis.

The voice is controlled from cranial nerves (the vagus nerves) and as such is much more a part of the ancient being. The cranial nerves have a far more intuitive connection with the subconscious processing in the brain.

I had no idea of the talent for singing that I found too late in my life. You can sing too if you give it a try. I cannot recommend a more fullfilling pasttime.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 06:11
I realize singing and playing an instrument are learned talents and anyone who has the will and mental/physical ability can do them. I was just pointing out there are many on here who have done so and continue to do so. :)

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
To try and resurrect this moribund forum:

Which guitarist had the biggest affect on you?

For me, Jimi Hendrix (like the whole planet) Hey Joe - It was this that made me decide I wanted to do this - Some 40 years later, still not within a bull's roar

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Moribund! Expand.

Chris Martin is definitely up there. His ability to play is amazing. It makes it better that he is a pianist as the music when translated is far superior to just guitarists playing.

David gray too and, he plays both like Chris Martin.

David was my influence on guitar and both were my influence for Piano

I don't have any poignant iconic heroes?

Nigel

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'll comment and then step away from the keyboard so no one will get hurt.

Myself, I'm an organist. Never took up guitar or the guit-fiddle as my country cousins have called it in the past.

As to singing, I've been advised not only to not quit my day job but to take up a new night job just to prevent me from singing. I've been told that I couldn't carry a tune in a #5 washtub. I've been told to practice my singing only in neighborhoods that have no dogs - unless the dogs are deaf. No, the dogs won't howl in unison. They'll whimper and beg to be put out of their misery.

All of which proves that my grandson is tone-deaf since I sang him to sleep when he was a toddler still in diapers.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Doc:

Self deprecation is the greatest handicap in singing. My mother habitually suggested I "sing solo", "so low" she couldn't hear me. This and other experience kept me from my voice until I was in my forties.

The only difference between a "born singer" and most other people is they stumbled on the fundamentals when they learnt to speak while you and me randomly found voices not suited to singing.

But I learnt the skill and became a great singer. You can too.

Since I worked it out I have helped several people find or improve their voice by example and by explaining a few fundamental principles of singing. If you really want to sing you can and I would be quite happy to explain what is involved in a way they I have no doubt you will understand. The handful of concepts required are unbelievably simple and spectacularly powerful in acquiring the skill.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
If you want to hear me singing then look me up on YouTube (ColinEssex) and look at my videos, I think there are 2 or 3 of me singing with my band (still photo's only) plus a few of me playing bass guitar to various songs.

The singing ones I don't particularly like but the other band members thought it was ok. Feel free to comment if you wish.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Just finished a transaction on the web that has me excited.

During Hurricane Katrina, I lost an electronic organ, a Technics SX-F3, which is a full console - 2 x 61 note keyboards, 25-note pedal board, lots of speakers, lots of sounds. The flooding corroded everything too badly to be rescued and the water didn't recede soon enough to help either.

Just after Christmas, I found a Technics SX-F5 (next step up) on Craigslist and made the arrangements. Shipping was a bear, but it arrived. Now I'm slowly practicing my way back to some level of facility on the keys. I'd say "on the ivories" but I'm afraid this is more modern, so "on the plastics."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom