Has America Imploded? (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 10:15
I was talking about Parler, NOT Trump. I agree, they are not the same.
You specifically mentioned Twitter and Trump in the post I quoted lol.

For Parlor: A company can't force you to sell a product at your store, and that's a good thing. Do I think it's good that they dropped the product? No idea. I don't do social media apps outside a few forums like this one. I imagine that if there is enough outcry, they will bring it back. People can also install the app themselves in Android without using the store easily enough. I'm not sure how it works with Apple. I stick to Android for that very reason.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No one will be installing Parler until they move their site to a new host since Amazon shut them down.
Does the phone company have to give you a phone? What if you are Parler and the woke hate you?
Does an internet provider have to give you service? What if you are Parler and the woke hate you?
Does the garbage company have to pick up your garbage?
Does the volunteer fire department have to take you as a customer? The joke when I lived in a suburb of Nashville was if you didn't pay your "dues" to the volunteer fire department, they'd come and watch your house burn while they sprinkled water on your neighbor's houses.

Where does this shunning/shaming/cancelling go? Sure feels like a violation of the Sherman Anti-Trust act.

Apple is already skating on thin ice with its stranglehold on apps with the appStore.

Sun_Force

Local time
Today, 23:15
Apple is already skating on thin ice with its stranglehold on apps with the appStore.

Somebody with your knowledge and skills, probably chooses to jailbreak iphone instead of using those apps.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So you buy a Honda Accord. Should you be forced to buy Gas from Mobil because Mobil is "approved" or be prevented from replacing your windshield wiper blades with after-market parts?

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
No, I bought American and use aftermarket all the time. Same with my previous japanese motorcycles.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Just a minor snicker by me. Hannity tonight, once again, made a speculation that we will never see. Hannity spoke of the public finally seeing the contents of Hunter Biden's computer. I suspect that soon after January 20th, the Hunter Biden investigation, as well as the Russian collusion investigation will quietly disappear as "unwarranted" so that the Justice Department can focus on the more pressing concern of "social justice". Consequently, we will never see the result of the Hunter Biden and Russian collusion criminal investigations, but we will see an explosion of people convicted of "white privilege".

Then again in America we have the freedom to not buy Apple products.
A specious response on two levels. First, this is a coordinate aggressive response by Apple, Google, Amazon. Your supposed freedom of being able to buy an alternative product may not exist.

Second, what is occurring goes beyond simply your ability to buy one product. Those selling the products are also going after product users such as businesses and people based on their association with conservatives. So even if you are able to buy a substitute product from a company (other than Apple, Google, and/or Amazon), you may find yourself censured and/or de-platformed when your content passes through a server that has been designed to target "unauthorized content". You may also be deemed to be an "enemy of the state" for any remarks and may face with criminal prosecution.

Somebody with your knowledge and skills, probably chooses to jailbreak iphone instead of using those apps.

Since all electronic devices are always on "24/7" (even if "off", they never are), how long will it before they develop an "update" program that secretly inspects your device on a periodic basis for "unauthorized" content and removes it without any human interaction? Even worse, the company may actually "brick" your device claiming that you have done some undefined thing that they don't like "wrong".

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:15
but we will see an explosion of people convicted of "white privilege"
Elizabeth Warren will be personally seeking reparations for historic offences against the American Indian people. As you will probably already know, a few hundred years ago it appears there was one in her bloodline, although she has less American Indian genes than the average American, apparently. Yet she constantly bangs on about having American Indian ancestors so she can get privileges based on her race, whilst vehemently opposing discrimination based on race. You can't make it up.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:15
Is Parler an example of the Streisand effect? Could its banning lead to an explosion in its growth?

The Streisand effect is a social phenomenon that occurs when an attempt to hide, remove, or censor information has the unintended consequence of further publicizing that information, often via the Internet. - Wikepedia

1610451016063.png

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Is Parler an example of the Streisand effect? Could its banning lead to an explosion in its growth?

"The Streisand effect is a social phenomenon that occurs when an attempt to hide, remove, or censor information has the unintended consequence of further publicizing that information, often via the Internet. - Wikepedia"
I use Wikipedia a lot, but there are occasions for caution. A while back you cited an obvious case of political bias concerning the use of facts in an article. Seems that I have run across another example of a Wikipedia article that has been subtly revised recently in "support" of the attempt to use the US Constitutions 25'th Amendment to remove Trump. Note the word, "impeachment" below, that I believe was added to tilt the article in support of the anti-Trump crowd. I will admit to not having researched this further, but I have casually heard of the 25'th Amendment and that it is limited to medical situations. This appears to be another case of "circular referencing" where a Wikipedia editor finds some obvious editorial article that deals with a biased viewpoint and then inserts that subjective opinion as a "fact" in the Wikipedia article.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:15
Remember that Wikipedia is crowd-sourced. Those articles, though initially vetted by their management, are in fact subject to editing by anyone who signs up for the job. I did that once myself at least 10 or 15 years ago regarding an error they had in an article on OpenVMS. Haven't done anything else along those lines since that one correction.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Remember that Wikipedia is crowd-sourced. Those articles, though initially vetted by their management, are in fact subject to editing by anyone who signs up for the job. I did that once myself at least 10 or 15 years ago regarding an error they had in an article on OpenVMS. Haven't done anything else along those lines since that one correction.
I remember all to well. I took a stab at the "Handmade s Tale". When the crowd-source is virulently anti-Trump, it is difficult to stand-up to the current of the "flood" descending on you. There is no tolerance. The point remains, each of these small reinterpretations are leading to an alternate form of "reality". The Matrix comes to mind, as one example.

One of the themes that has undergone a significant change in meaning, that I perpetually keep highlighting (so don't fall asleep :sleep:) is civil rights. Originally it was about achieving equality. It has now been redefined to mean that if you belong to a "protected class" that you are now entitled to certain things based on past grievances.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
You had to know that this was coming. Stuart Varney, Fox Business, had one of those "alerts". Evidently some ISP provider attempted to block access to Facebook and Twitter since they (Facebook and Twitter) censored content. Seems reasonable since Facebook and Twitter claim that "right" to censor. As Varney was reading that, he interrupted himself to say that that company had hastily withdrawn that "blockage" since it was (being accused of ???) in possible violation of net-neutrality rules. If true, then Facebook and Twitter are themselves in violation of net-neutrality rules for censoring!!!! Another example of a double standard.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:15
How long before Alexa and other so called smart devices start censoring conservative content. Some people will cheer this not realizing they are on a slippery slope.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Alexa wasn't used to incite violence.

But these conspiracies are hilarious. Please continue.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
and you don't even have to really sign up for the job. literally anyone, at any time, can edit a wikipedia page. even anonymously, although it is "strictly discouraged" (I know I sound like Obama lecturing North Korea!)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time

Trump didn't incite violence, that whole notion is ridiculous. He specifically told them to go peacefully.

The idea of "fight" or "keep fighting", is typical, traditional, common, quintessential American political rhetoric. If it was inciting violence, then every politician in the modern day would be behind bars.

Also, the left wing cheered on BLM protests (which often devolved into violence) all summer. Are they behind bars?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time

The issue is not "violence", the issue is that free-speech and reasonable skepticism behind things such as Covid19 and the validity of the 2020 election are now being actively suppressed. Those who question are being vilified. Alexa, even as an AI, may well participate in that process.

Some Democrats in Congress, who previously questioned, with great moral authority, the validity of the 2016 election, are now demonizing Republicans as "traitors" for questioning this (2020) election. Questioning, is part of the democratic process. The Democratic Party is the threat to democracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom