Has God Ever Visted Plagues? (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:02
I don't want to hijack the coronavirus thread here. Doc made an observation I thought was worth looking at.
You should know that God doesn't visit plagues upon Man any more. In fact, never did... ignorant people just blamed Him for it and then due to fear of that imaginary place of torment, excused the plagues as a form of deserved punishment. But the real explanation is simpler, and we can thank Forrest Gump for this dramatically clear statement on the reason for bad things: S H I T H A P P E N S.

I wonder if that's true, here is just one out of many references I found. Near the bottom I highlight what I think is a plague.

Jeremiah 24
The Good and the Bad Figs
24 After King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon had deported Jeconiah† son of Jehoiakim king of Judah, the officials of Judah, and the craftsmen and metalsmiths† from Jerusalem and had brought them to Babylon, the Lord showed me two baskets of figs† placed in front of the temple of the Lord. 2 One basket contained very good figs, like early figs,† but the other basket contained very bad figs, so bad they were inedible. 3 The Lord said to me, “What do you see, Jeremiah? ”
I said, “Figs! The good figs are very good, but the bad figs are extremely bad, so bad they are inedible.”
4 The word of the Lord came to me: 5 “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: Like these good figs, so I regard as good the exiles from Judah I sent away from this place to the land of the Chaldeans. 6 I will keep my eyes on them for their good† and will return them to this land. I will build them up and not demolish them; I will plant them and not uproot them.† 7 I will give them a heart to know me,† that I am the Lord. They will be my people, and I will be their God because they will return to me with all their heart.†
8 “But as for the bad figs, so bad they are inedible,† this is what the Lord says: In this way I will deal with King Zedekiah of Judah, his officials, and the remnant of Jerusalem — those remaining in this land or living in the land of Egypt.† 9 I will make them an object of horror† and a disaster to all the kingdoms of the earth, an example for disgrace, scorn, ridicule,† and cursing, wherever I have banished them.† 10 I will send the sword, famine, and plague† against them until they have perished from the land I gave to them and their ancestors.”
God is very vengeful in the old testament.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:02
AB, my response is of course steeped in atheism. To me it doesn't matter what the Bible says. It would not surprise me to learn that people have in the ancient past attributed all sorts of ills and plagues and disasters to God as his punishment for some imagined affronts because otherwise such things would be inexplicable in a world that was based on having causes for everything. A "strict causality" world has no coincidences. In a quantum mechanical world, "stuff happens."

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
God is very vengeful in the old testament.
Jesus washed away all the vengeance that you speak of. Until the last day on Earth of course, which is called, appropriately, THE DAY OF THE LORD.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
AB, my response is of course steeped in atheism. To me it doesn't matter what the Bible says. It would not surprise me to learn that people have in the ancient past attributed all sorts of ills and plagues and disasters to God as his punishment for some imagined affronts because otherwise such things would be inexplicable in a world that was based on having causes for everything. A "strict causality" world has no coincidences. In a quantum mechanical world, "stuff happens."
Doc, I was just curious about the historical writings not the religious aspect. Basically if what you said was historically correct.

We all have heard of locus and boils for sure, but when you read this,
I will send the sword, famine, and plague† against them until they have perished from the land I gave to them and their ancestors.”
is there ambiguity? I appreciate your view. Thanks.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The ambiguity is whether that passage reflects an excuse for the area to be in turmoil, or a reason for it. (Rhetorical, actually...) I've never known humans to NOT have an inborn reason to engage in actions that lead to war, famine, and disease. It is the inherent human focus on aggression, or perhaps dominance. That was given to us, not by God but by our evolutionary ancestors, the dinosaurs.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Is C19 a plague? And is this the mark of the beast found in Prophecy?

The World Health Organization (WHO) has released a proposal backed by two major globalist organizations that serves as a blueprint for governments to implement a worldwide vaccine passport verification system.

1631203670893.png

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I don't think God acts toward Groups, Governments any more (some Christians disagree with me).

I think since the arrival of Jesus, God deals with everyone on an individual basis - Period. No exceptions.

Therefore I don't think God "Judges Nations", or "Punishes a Country/State/Group/City" or anything like that.

In Christianity there is also the concept of spiritual laws. Situations where one habit or input naturally leads to another result or output.
Some people like to differentiate this from God directly acting. Not sure where I am on that, but for the most part I believe God deals with people on an individual basis.

I DO think that each person is endowed with a choice, and deep in a person's heart, they also know full well they have that choice: Surrender to the God they know is there, or refuse to do so. Refusal (whether is a non-Christian, or just me on a bad day where I choose to despise or ignore God and cooperate with the enemy instead) - leads naturally to the influence and power of all kinds of darkness. The wages of sin is death. The 'death' that comes isn't as much an angry God with a club: It's something you bought. (or I bought, or whomever).

Anyone can stop investing in darkness and start investing in light any time they want. God loves us and wants the best, but certainly won't force it.
Everyone has two options: the Best, or the Worst. The illusion of man regarding an "ambivalent or undecided in-between", doesn't exist. (Nor does hardly anyone think it does, once on their deathbed).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Of course I respect everyone's right to believe as they choose. I would hope for reciprocity. As to the question at the title of the thread, the answer was stated in my first reply. No, God does not and never did visit plagues. Plagues happen. Disasters happen.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Of course I respect everyone's right to believe as they choose. I would hope for reciprocity. As to the question at the title of the thread, the answer was stated in my first reply. No, God does not and never did visit plagues. Plagues happen. Disasters happen.
The Bible says differently. And I also see that my last incarnation has a reply in this thread, which I didn't know until I read this thread in its entirety

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I know that, Adam. I agree that it says that. The question is credibility. You believe in the mystical parts. I discount them as superstitious attempts to explain natural phenomena in the absence of a scientific foundation.

conception_native_0123

Local time
I discount them as superstitious attempts to explain natural phenomena in the absence of a scientific foundation.
That is where we differ. And that is perfectly okay that you think that. We have trashed through that too many times already so no need to do it again

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I've noticed a lot of young people don't use speech-to-text, and I can't figure out why. It's like they consider it a "boomer" (or slightly younger) habit that they despise for some unknown reason. It is handy as heck, and WAY faster than thumbs and fingers, even if you're really fast at thumbs and fingers.
Although, I have noticed that speech to text isn't very kind to those with an accent, or even myself, I had to sort of 'learn' how to make it happy with the sound of my voice.

Nowadays they say Facebook and speech to text are two ways to recognize someone >50, but isn't that weird. I haven't even done facebook yet, and my ignorance is pure bliss... But I do remember MySpace, now that was a naughty outlet for many in the early 2000's. :p

conception_native_0123

Local time
I don't text by thumbs and fingers anymore at all. Everything that comes from my phone comes from speech to text and my voice nowadays.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:02
I've noticed a lot of young people don't use speech-to-text, and I can't figure out why.
Maybe they are worried about their voice being sent to a server to be converted to text? Some services even include humans to deal with the unrecognisable content.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:02
Has God ever visited Plagues?

I have searched everywhere but I can't find Plagues. What country is it in?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Well, if its anything like the U.S. Census records I've been viewing as part of my Ancestry research, it is probably just someone's poor handwriting as he wrote the name Prague - with a final flourish that looks like an S. Can't TELL you how often I've seen that sort of thing.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:02
I can't think how I reached this thread now.

Anyway, I tend to think that God would test us by playing tricks. He would "plant" old fossils apparently somewhat older than a few thousand years for us to find. In the end it comes back to faith - and we are better working on the basis that there is indeed a God, as per Pascal's wager. He's all too ineffable for our puny earth minds. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom