Hello from a newbie (1 Viewer)

DenverDb

Local time
Today, 00:26
Hi all, I am new to AccessWorld but I have been using Access since Y2000. I am developing an Access database that currently has 4,600 forms and 3,200 reports. I enjoy adding custom graphics and speech to the application.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:26
Welcome to Access World! We're so happy to have you join us as a member of our community. As the most active Microsoft Access discussion forum on the internet, with posts dating back more than 20 years, we have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with you.

We're a friendly and helpful community, so don't hesitate to ask any questions you have or share your own experiences with Access. We're here to support you and help you get the most out of this powerful database program.

To get started, we recommend reading the post linked below. It contains important information for all new users of the forum:

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We hope you have a great time participating in the discussion and learning from other Access enthusiasts. We look forward to having you around!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:26
Hello and welcome to the forum. That's a LOT of forms and reports. Good luck with that.

DenverDb

Local time
Thanks.

As you can see, I set out to develop a comprehensive Access application and not an app. Some of the 4000 tables have between a hundred and two hundred fields. One piece of code says that I have 25000 queries. I have no idea where that number comes from. If not for the 2Gb limitation, my application would have twice as many forms, reports, and tables.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:26
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

XPS35

Local time
Today, 08:26
Welcome to the forum. That's an impressive amount of tables. We don't see that often here. I don't want to be negative right away, but such a large amount can also indicate a not quite right design. Anyway, you've made me very curious. Can you tell us more about the database?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:26
Welcome to AWF, DenverDb.

DenverDb

Local time
Welcome to the forum. That's an impressive amount of tables. We don't see that often here. I don't want to be negative right away, but such a large amount can also indicate a not quite right design. Anyway, you've made me very curious. Can you tell us more about the database?
XPS35, I am more than happy to describe the database to you.

It is designed to be used by companies that pursue multi-million dollar contracts (>$10M US) and take months (6 to 24 months) to develop a proposal. The primary domains include: customers, competitors, personnel, projects, partners, and company. It uses principles in the project management, sales management, proposal management, TRIZ, OODA Loop, and Six Sigma bodies of knowledge, which I have studied since 1998. I have gotten ideas from different books, Harvard Business Review, MIT Sloan, and other places. There's even psychometrics based on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and ideas from the Four Disciplines of Execution. I spend more time reading business and technical literature than working on the database.

Unlike many Access databases, mine focuses on the end user. All of the forms/subforms have a custom graphic because Access charts don't do it for me. Many graphics replace radar diagrams and histograms using images resembling flowers, racetracks, and volcanoes. I hate pie charts so you won't see any in the application. There are a few donut charts, but they are custom. I have given charts special names, such as the Tungsten Wheel and the Holscher Fan. I have many versions of these graphics in the application.

Many of the forms (4600+) also use text-to-speech to read information aloud. Some of the reports read information aloud when they are initially opened. The reports (3200+) use the same objects that are in the forms.

The tables (4100+) range from two-field lookups to master tables with 200 fields. The lookups are used mainly for multi-value fields. Some of the forms/reports have 10 MVFs. I use them to ensure consistency in assessments.

The database uses very little code because I don't code, and this database doesn't need it because it is more information-based than most Access databases. By that, I mean that it is designed to generate multi-page reports about each record. So one of the key data types is long text (memo in old versions of Access).

The database also uses many multi-value fields to make it easier for users to conduct assessments using the same statements or questions. If there were no MVFs in Access, I probably wouldn't use it.

I haven't worked on the user manual in years. The last time that I checked, it was more than 400 pages. I suspect that it will be several thousand pages when I finish it.

The style guide is 50 pages because I use a lot of screenshots. I started working on it a week or so ago.

The database has been at the 2Gb mark for a few years. I am in the process of separating domains. I backup regularly in case the application crashes under its own weight. Compact and Repair is a lifesaver. It brings the file down in size regularly.

As you can see, I have deviated from standard DB practices in many ways. Many developers would say that my DB is not normalized. What can I can say, tables with 200 fields work for me. Others don't use MVFs. Again they work for me. Most developers do not create and use their own graphics. I am a visual thinker, so I need graphics to write and think. Most developers do not use speech. I want certain objects to talk to me and then play my favorite music as I work.

XPS35, I hope this helps.

You can see some of my forms and reports on LinkedIn in the Modern Access Designs group. I have also made presentations at Access DevCon, Access Pacific, and LunchtimeAccess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom