Hello !! I am newbie in Access and i m starting a new bussiness, i need to create a database for batch production. Any suggestion where to look? (1 Viewer)

Emmanuel Manu

Local time
Today, 19:28
I am newbie in Access and i m starting a new bussiness, i need to create a database for batch production. Any suggestion where to look? Database is very important as Products will be Bio Certified and Traceability Records is an obligation.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:28
Welcome to Access World! We're so happy to have you join us as a member of our community. As the most active Microsoft Access discussion forum on the internet, with posts dating back more than 20 years, we have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with you.

We're a friendly and helpful community, so don't hesitate to ask any questions you have or share your own experiences with Access. We're here to support you and help you get the most out of this powerful database program.

To get started, we recommend reading the post linked below. It contains important information for all new users of the forum:

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We hope you have a great time participating in the discussion and learning from other Access enthusiasts. We look forward to having you around!

tvanstiphout

Local time
Today, 09:28
That is a VERY ambitious project for a newbie, maybe too ambitious. Here is my advice.

You start with closing Access, and not opening it for a while. During this time, you think about the requirements for your app: what data goes in, and what data needs to come out. What processing needs to happen. Document this, using text, and maybe some flow diagrams (PowerPoint, or hand-sketched).
At the same time, you read up on the rules of proper database design, such as Normalization. There is plenty of information online. At the end of that you should have a list of about a dozen quality markers of good database design.

Next you crack open the new Northwind 2 template databases. Read the documentation. Understand why things are done this way, learn some best practices, and get some free code you may be able to use in your app.

Next you design the database. No queries, no forms, just the correct database design for your app. Maybe a few sample records for future testing.
Then post that database here for us to provide feedback. Only after the database design is rock solid will you design queries and forms and reports that live on top of it.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 17:28
I am newbie in Access and i m starting a new bussiness, i need to create a database for batch production. Any suggestion where to look? Database is very important as Products will be Bio Certified and Traceability Records is an obligation.
Tbh, I think you would do better getting a professional to create it for you. It might cost more, but your business depends on it and is a valid cost to be deducted.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 12:28
As others have cautioned, this might be too ambitious as a "first" project. You also asked for any suggestions concerning a suitable database solution. Assuming that you would be designing a database system from scratch, I would recommend using MariaDB, and using a browser, such as Firefox. Under this approach, you would be accessing the data just like you would on the WEB. This would mean having to learn PHP and HTML, plus associated languages such as JavaScript.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom