Hi Guys (1 Viewer)

Wimboman

Local time
Today, 23:44
Wimbo from Sunny South Africa here. I've recently returned to using MS Access after an interregnum of a couple of decades, so it's effectively all new to me. I'm sure that I'll learn a lot from you all

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:44
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

To get started, I highly recommend you read the post below. It contains important information for all new users to this forum.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We look forward to having you around here, learning stuff and having fun!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:44
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:44
Hello, Wimbo, and welcome to the forum.

Wimboman

Local time
Thank you for the welcome, guys. First off, a silly question:

I have lots of versions of a particular Access DB that I've been working on. I created a new table, but later reverted to an earlier schema. Now I can't remember which version it was in. 🙈 Is there any easy way to find the most recent version with that table in it, other than opening every version over the last several weeks?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:44
If you have a table name that is reasonably unique and the database files were not encrypted by password, that table name will appear in cleartext in one of the system tables. You can use the Start >> Windows System >> Command Prompt to open a CMD window. From there, you can issue the FINDSTR command. Get help on same by using CMD> FINDSTR /? to trigger the help text.

If the chosen table name is likely to appear in other files besides the database files, you can name specific files to search. Note that you might wish to limit the output from this command since the records might be long and might contain odd-ball characters, because you would be searching a partly binary, partly text file.

If the table names are SO common that this method doesn't narrow it down much, look for unique field names. That might help too.

This will only identify the files but it would be up to you to decide which one is most recent.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:44
Do you know the table name?
I think you or someone could create code to
open each database newer than dateX
list the tabledef names
identify the databases with that table name
pick the one with newest date

Wimboman

Local time
Thank you for the welcome, guys. First off, a silly question:

I have lots of versions of a particular Access DB that I've been working on. I created a new table, but later reverted to an earlier schema. Now I can't remember which version it was in. 🙈 Is there any easy way to find the most recent version with that table in it, other than opening every version over the last several weeks?
Or should I be posting this somewhere else?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:44
A few questions to help focus:

Do you know the name of the Table?
How many databases would you have to review?
Are these databases all on your PC/laptop?

I have a routine that could help, but it needs some manual intervention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom