Hi there ACESSWORLD!! (1 Viewer)

patapotato

Local time
Today, 13:26
Hi there!

I'm pretty new to access. I worked exclusively in datascience and research before, now I also have to deal with database design and management on top of that. I've only been using access for 3 months now and had never used VBA before. But I do know python and R pretty well, so it was not that big a deal to pick up. Currently, I am in the proccess of restructuring an ancient database from like 3 decades ago (lots of old versions and spaghetti code) in order to work with a couple of new constraints that exist. In the end I hope it will be a lot more streamlined and more secure. Unfortunately, switching over to a more robust system is not possible atm (in a couple of years it will have to be dealt with eventually, but, you know, management...), so the solution is to instead "modernize" the currenttly ancient system to keep it functional. The database relies heavily on very old, undocumented vba code and there are a lot of custom little things all around. So, I am expecting most of my questions in the next couple of months will be on pretty weird, albeit somtimes interesting problems that have to be solved in access somehow.

As for me, I love to read and write and play video games from time to time. I also craft terrain for tabletop gaming, altough I will say that I don't actually end up playing nearly as much. I mostly just craft. I play the guitar, I write shaders for video games in my free time (weird hobby since I really only do shaders and nothing else, but I think its fun) and I am an avid home cook.

See you around!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:26
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

To get started, I highly recommend you read the post below. It contains important information for all new users to this forum.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We look forward to having you around here, learning stuff and having fun!

Kayleigh

Local time
Today, 12:26
Hi @patapotato
Good to have you here! You'll find loads of support on database design and VBA here. Sure your experience in data science will come to good use as well.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:26
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Guitar, eh? I'm a keyboard man myself.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:26