How do I handle my insurance company? (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:27
Another driver caught my offside wing, damaging the wheel arch, very minor damage. The insurance company say they will write my car off and pay me what the car is worth. Its an old car, only worth maybe £1000 to £2000 ... Alternatively, I can keep the car. It's just had an MOT, so I can get another year out of it at least... If I keep it I will need to tidy up the damaged wheel arch I think maybe £100 or £200... I'm thinking that the other driver who was at fault should stump up this money.

So can I go back to my insurance and tell them that yes I will keep the car but I want some compensation for the damage and time and trouble I've been put to. If I let them write off the car, I will need to find a replacement.

I'm sure that somebody here may know how the system works and could educate me on the way to approach the Insurance Co....

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If I keep it I will need to tidy up the damaged wheel arch I think maybe £100 or £200...
get a quote before making a decision. Doesn't have to be an insurance recommended repairer, just a reputable one.

A few years ago around Xmas, we had gone to an evening event in Woodstock, not far from here. We came out and went home. The following morning when I can out I saw some damage to the front numberplate and behind - like someone had reversed into it with a towhook. Didn't look too bad and I thought probably £3-400 to fix. Too low to put through the insurance.

Went to get a quote - it was £4,000. The damage wasn't just to the numberplate and front valance. It had also torn the fixings to the front wings - so had to replace valance and both front wings plus a few other associated bits.

I could have gone the £400 route, but the risk would have been the wings could fly off at some point in the future when the damaged fixings failed. Don't know if this is an MOT issue, but wasn't prepared to take that chance

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:27
Never walk into an insurance company for a claim without an estimate in hand. That is the surest way to get lowballed.

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
Today, 00:27
Do your cars fly? More advanced then anything here in California. Ours don't have wings! 🤪

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:27
You may want to get more than 1 quote just to make sure the quote is legit and you'll feel more comfortable/confident when you meet the Ins company (who have a herd of lawyers whose job is to save them money). ;)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
1. Get another couple of quotes
2. Find out what another car of similar age and mileage will cost you. You may be surprised. S/Hand car prices are bonkers at the moment due to lack of availability.
3. Use point 2 to haggle with the Ins Co about what they offer you.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:27
Have you read the insurance policy? It will normally list a specific value of the car or a market value. My current policy provides for no cost to me if I can identify the other driver if it was clearly that driver's fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom