Solved How to get random record from MS Access database (1 Viewer)

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 18:38
Randomizer() function Dev added to the query as a WHERE Clause. Can you see what it's doing? Is it basically what you're saying here? Thanks!
Yeah, no Idea what that is. Is the function posted? My guess it is just a code to randomize.

My point is it depends on what you are doing. If you are doing the weekly drug test then you better randomize. But sometimes you absolutely do not want to do that. You want to verify your code. You may want random numbers, but you may want to repeat the steps.
It is not a bug it is a feature. Everyone thinks it is a bug, but if this is something you do a lot you want it repeatable.

MajP

Local time
o, basically, my question is was it necessary to call the Randomize() function for every record in the table?
If I said that it was a mistake. You only have to call it once before you try to get the Random numbers.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:38
Yeah, no Idea what that is. Is the function posted? My guess it is just a code to randomize.

My point is it depends on what you are doing. If you are doing the weekly drug test then you better randomize. But sometimes you absolutely do not want to do that. You want to verify your code. You may want random numbers, but you may want to repeat the steps.
It is not a bug it is a feature. Everyone thinks it is a bug, but if this is something you do a lot you want it repeatable.
Hi MajP. Yes, it's in the link I posted earlier. Here's a copy of the function:
Code:
'************ Code Begin ***********
'Code courtesy of
'Joe Foster
Function Randomizer () As Integer
Static AlreadyDone As Integer
        If AlreadyDone = False Then Randomize : AlreadyDone = True
    Randomizer = 0
End Function
'************ Code End *************
And here's how Dev said to use it in a query:
Code:
select top 100 mytable.*from mytable
where randomizer() = 0
order by rnd(isnull(mytable.question) * 0 + 1)
But like you said in another thread, although I don't fully understand it, I just use it, because it works.

Edit: PS. I bolded the parts I need help explaining. Thanks again!
Edit: Looks like bolding doesn't work inside a code tag. :(

So, basically, this part: where randomizer() = 0 and this one: order by rnd(isnull(mytable.question) * 0 + 1)
Cheers!

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 23:38
Yes as long as the db is open you will continue to start from a new position. Now close the db. You will get the same series. If not I can give you databases that will show this.
This is not a debateable issue. MS will clearly explain this. I did not make this up and it makes total sense. If you want a new series you have to randomize.
Thanks @MajP Didn't know that for the project I'm working on it wont matter as I have other filters going on

MajP

Local time
I'm sure it is explainable and absolutely done on purpose; otherwise, they would have probably given a simpler solution on the website. However, they neglected to provide that explanation, and I just never thought to ask about it before. So, can you break it down for us? Thanks again!
Most people who need RVs want to run an experiment with random numbers. But they want to come back and verify their results using the same set of random numbers,. That is what many people find confusing.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Most people who need RVs want to run an experiment with random numbers. But they want to come back and verify their results using the same set of random numbers,. That is what many people find confusing.
Hi MajP. Sorry for the confusion, but you seem to keep going back to the Randomize statement, which I already admitted I understood and agree that it's necessary. However, my original confusion was with the Randomizer() function. Unless you're saying they are basically doing the same job. Is that it? Thanks!

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I was talking of the Randomize statement to reset the seed value for each value.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I was talking of the Randomize statement to reset the seed value for each value.
Thanks for the clarification. Doesn't the Rnd() function accept a "seed" value also? Is that a different seed? Thanks!

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
??Possibly, I was taught early on that RANDOMIZE was the best method to get random records for evry iteration/program execution.
Some info here.

Last edited:

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
@DBG, it appears it allows for Randomize() to be called just once per query call.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
@DBG, it appears it allows for Randomize() to be called just once per query call.
Hi. Thanks. Okay, got that. But why use the WHERE Clause? Would it have done the same job if called as a calculated column or even in the ORDER BY Clause? Like I said, I have no desire to change it, and I will continue to use it, because it works as is. I just wish I could get a little bit of help in understanding it. If not, it's okay too. Cheers!

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
I guess it needs to be done in the WHERE clause so that it occurs before any call to Rnd() takes place. Randomizer() returns 0, so all records will be available to be selected from.

If you call it from a calculated field then Rnd() in the ORDER BY will have already been called (necessary to determine which records to select)

It could be possible to re-write the function:
Code:
Function Randomizer(vVal) As Variant

Static Randomized As Boolean

If Not Randomized Then
    Randomize()
    Randomized = True
  End If
  Randomizer = Rnd(vVal)

End Function
Then call it in the ORDER BY:
Code:
ORDER BY Randomizer(ID);

Just guessing. 🤔

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I guess it needs to be done in the WHERE clause so that it occurs before any call to Rnd() takes place. Randomizer() returns 0, so all records will be available to be selected from.

If you call it from a calculated field then Rnd() in the ORDER BY will have already been called (necessary to determine which records to select)

It could be possible to re-write the function:
Code:
Function Randomizer(vVal) As Variant

Static Randomized As Boolean

If Not Randomized Then
    Randomize()
    Randomized = True
  End If
  Randomizer = Rnd(vVal)

End Function
Then call it in the ORDER BY:
Code:
ORDER BY Randomizer(ID);

Just guessing. 🤔
Hi. Thanks. Makes sense. However, just to double-check, according to this MS Docs, the SELECT clause is executed/processed before the ORDER BY clause. If so, do you think it still won't work as a calculated column? Still, I like your updated function. Cheers!

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
You'll have to test and let us know what you find. ;)

Maybe a new blog post brewing ...

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
You'll have to test and let us know what you find. ;)

Maybe a new blog post brewing ...
Hi. LOL. You know I was just speculating, right? Of course one advantage of using the WHERE clause is the result of the function doesn't clutter the actual fields needed by the user from the table. I could test your new function in the ORDER BY clause though.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Haha! You know I'm just being lazy! You got me curious, and I'm just trying to get you to do the donkey-work!!

MajP

Local time
Randomizer()
function. Unless you're saying they are basically doing the same job. Is that it?
Sorry for any confusion, I did not look at this randomizer. I have to guess there is a randomize in there.

My only point was manyAccess developers think this is a shortcoming or a bug. But those who rely on random numbers want to be able to return the same series of random numbers.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
>> My only point was manyAccess developers think this is a shortcoming or a bug <<

Only if they haven't read the Help file! 😖

MajP

Local time
Only if they haven't read the Help file! 😖
Not really that as much as expectations. The average guy would want a random draw every time, would not make much sense otherwise. They would probably think it is weird to want a repeatable random sequence. The analyst on the other hand would want this to be repeatable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom