import dBase IV to Access 2013 (1 Viewer)

amerifax

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:25
From what I have seen on the Internet it seems Microsoft removed dBase IV as an import into access 2013. If this is so I still have one foot in 2010 in case I ran into issues with 2013.

But if I have to use 2013 I don't have a clue as to how I can import the file into an Access file. I'm a screen as they come when it comes time for the dBase IV import. I was hoping to see some kind of a link but found none in access 2010.

Sure can use the help on this.

Bob

amerifax

Registered User.
Local time
Yes. I have about 15 different dbase IV files that I want to import to Access 2013 for continual use. I will not need to backwards to dBase. I have no need for the index, mdx, file although some have the connected index. I hope the index connection does not add to my problem.

Bob

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:25
I haven't used dBase in years -- is there an export utility, or can you write some dBase routines to dump out your tables to txt or csv?

ButtonMoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:25
I'm pretty sure you should be able to download suitable ODBC drivers from Microsoft.com or from other places too. Also Microsoft has a compatible FoxPro OLEDB driver available which ought to do the job.

amerifax

Registered User.
Local time
I was able to find the workaround. I can import it into Excel 2013 and then exported out as a worksheet then imported into Access 2013. As problematic as it is it does work.
Bob

amerifax

Registered User.
Local time
This never worked. If you import and than try to change a field size you get a memory error. I spend 20 plus hours with Microsoft with out ever getting a cure for there problem. Or should I say our problem. Yes 20 plus hours with there staff.
Bob

amerifax

Registered User.
Local time
>>jdraw<<
No this did not work. But thanks. Months later and still no cure for Access.
Bob

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
From what I have seen on the Internet it seems Microsoft removed dBase IV as an import into access 2013. If this is so I still have one foot in 2010 in case I ran into issues with 2013.
Import your dBase files (tables) into an earlier version of MS Access then import into MS Access 2013.

Based on your posts, I don't know how complicated your dBase files (tables) are or how much work this would be, but you could consider writing a dBase program to create a delimited ASCII text file for each table, then import those delimited text files into MS Access 2013.

Of course you would have "issues" with primary keys and relationships that would have to be rebuilt.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A one-time conversion is a completely different problem from an on-going interface.

As has already been suggested, if you have a one-time interface, import using an older version of Access and be done with it. Once the files are imported, they are no longer dBase and you no longer have a problem.

An on-going interface to a system that uses dBase files is much more difficult. You will still need to rely on an older version of Access. You could automate a nightly batch job to recreate the Access .mdb by importing all the dBase files every night. Then your app could link to the Access .mdb but don't plan on updating the data since there is no way to send it back using this method.

amerifax

Registered User.
Local time
An older version of Access does sound good. It is just that I found my way with using a dBase utility. Had I thought to use an early version of Access I would have been back to work months ago. I'm not the only one that slipped up on this, so did my Profession Microsoft Access engineries support.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom