In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . . (1 Viewer)

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:26
I think you are under the mistaken impression that conservatives even care about race. You'll notice that the Republicans, including our current administration, have been much better about appointing blacks and other minorities to important posts. Just because the left doesn't like those people doesn't mean that they are not black. And I submit to you that it really isn't that important, liberals will spew hate at them because they are conservative, not because they are black.

Ah yes, one of the republican's favorite techniques. Sarah Palin is yet another example of someone who belongs to an oppressed group, who uses that as a cloak for her anti-woman beliefs. Being "of" a group does not make you "for" that group.

In fact, I was reading an article yesterday that seemed to say that more Democrats (the party that sees beyond color...ha ha) will vote against Obama because of his perceived race (he was once half-white, not he's a black...his call) than Republicans will. Who are the racists?

Care to quote? Sounds like nonsense to me, but I will reserve judgement since I haven't seen the piece you are referring to.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
And just to make it perfectly clear, I am not argueing that liberals or democrats get a pass, there are certainly racists in every political party. My point is that if Obama were white, he would not be criticized in the manner we have seen.

Local time
Today, 12:26
Yay, I think we are up to three whole things that we agree on!

By the way, there is a "Wilkinson" in Denver who is volunteering for Obama.

See, you're just trying to confuse an old man. When I said "No", I really meant "Yes".

And did you know there's an Alisa in Houston who is volunteering for McCain?

Further, I think we agree on a good deal more. I particularly like the way you handled the Access upgrade ideas thing. But enough of that.

I disagree with the absurd notion that the current presidential election is exposing racism in America. However, I'll concede that the presidential election when Jesse Jackson made an impression did expose racism in America.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
See, you're just trying to confuse an old man. When I said "No", I really meant "Yes".

And did you know there's an Alisa in Houston who is volunteering for McCain?

Further, I think we agree on a good deal more. I particularly like the way you handled the Access upgrade ideas thing. But enough of that.

I disagree with the absurd notion that the current presidential election is exposing racism in America. However, I'll concede that the presidential election when Jesse Jackson made an impression did expose racism in America.

Ah shucks, now we are back down to two. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:26
You'll notice that the Republicans, including our current administration, have been much better about appointing blacks and other minorities to important posts.

You type faster than I do, as I was going to say the same thing. No Democrat appointed blacks to positions that were in the order of presidential succession.

I think you are under the mistaken impression that conservatives even care about race.

True conservatives are race blind and as you said, don't really care. What gives the impression that they are racist is that they don't pander to race politics. It's the liberal equivalent of "if you're not with us, you're against us".

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
You type faster than I do, as I was going to say the same thing. No Democrat appointed blacks to positions that were in the order of presidential succession.

True conservatives are race blind and as you said, don't really care. What gives the impression that they are racist is that they don't pander to race politics. It's the liberal equivalent of "if you're not with us, you're against us".

You are right they don't care about race - they had the audacity to mock Obama for being a community organizer. Community organizers in America are some of the only people that DO care about the issues that poorer minority groups face. Appointing someone of a certain color or gender is completely meaningless. What is important is appointing someone who cares about the issues that people face. You can't eradicate racism by pretending that it doesn't exist. Likewise, you can't pretend that you aren't racist just because you appointed someone with a different skin color than your own.

Who is being disproportionately affected by the mortgage crisis? Who is disproportionately affected by the lack of disaster relief efforts after major hurricanes? Who is disproportionately affected by the lack of access to good schools and affordable health care? Who is disproportionately affected by the death penalty?

Are any of those issues that republicans will even admit have a racial component? Much less propose doing anything about?

Local time
Ah yes, one of the republican's favorite techniques. Sarah Palin is yet another example of someone who belongs to an oppressed group, who uses that as a cloak for her anti-woman beliefs. Being "of" a group does not make you "for" that group.

Not sure what you mean by technique, though I'm not sure why the Democrats haven't utilized the same "technique", if that's what it really is. The group that Palin is both "of" and "for" is Americans. She is representative of our closest female associates and has won a place in the hearts of people who think like her, who have the same problems, who believe in hard work, etc.

Care to quote? Sounds like nonsense to me, but I will reserve judgement since I haven't seen the piece you are referring to.

Oh dear, I didn't book mark it and I'm way too lazy to retrace my steps yesterday. I didn't think much of it at the time. It had to be on either cnn.com or foxnews.com (I read both to get both sides of the news).

And as a representative of white men in America, I'd like to say that this is a very exciting election because, regardless of who wins, we're about to break some boundaries in bias in America. If anything, this election cycle is going to crush bias, not compound it. When I was a child, it would have been unheard of to have a black man or a woman on a presidential ticket, it's about time we got over that and I wish both of them good luck.

Local time
You are right they don't care about race - they had the audacity to mock Obama for being a community organizer.

Probably because nobody knows what a community organizer is. Many believe that Obama made up that job so he could run for Senate/President.

Community organizers in America are some of the only people that DO care about the issues that poorer minority groups face.

That can't be true. It's just a matter of how the differing groups go about resolving the problems.

Appointing someone of a certain color or gender is completely meaningless. What is important is appointing someone who cares about the issues that people face.

I totally agree. Like I said, conservatives don't really care about such things. All that matters is resolving the issues that face the world. And those issues are resolved by tried and true (conservative) methods.

Who is being disproportionately affected by the mortgage crisis?

Me.

Who is disproportionately affected by the lack of disaster relief efforts after major hurricanes?

Me.

Are any of those issues that republicans will even admit have a racial component?

Just speaking for myself, not Republicans, No.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
George,
You are one of the people that benefits from white privelige and you don't even realize it. That is why we are still such a racist country.

Local time
George,
You are one of the people that benefits from white privelige and you don't even realize it. That is why we are still such a racist country.

Yeah, I tell myself that as I sip mint juleps on the porch of my foreclosed home. Of course, I have to drink the mint juleps because they'll go bad 'cause I don't have refrigeration and can't get ice because all the places you can get ice in the area are in the disadvantaged areas.

You're right, I get all the breaks.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:26
Alisa, I'm not sure how to respond to a long string of nebulous questions. I don't know who the "they" is that mocked Obama. I don't know the answer to all your "who is" questions. You like to ask for cites but didn't provide any.

People who live in hurricane prone areas that refused to evacuate when ordered to are probably the most affected, regardless of color. People who commit heinous crimes are most affected by the death penalty, regardless of color. People who are not really qualified for a loan in the first place are probably most affected by the mortgage crisis.

Is there racism in America? Without a doubt. It is unquestionably MUCH less than it used to be, and much less than "race politicians" would have you believe. I forgot you asked about schools. Read the 7/23 article:

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/williams.html

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
I never said you get all the breaks, obviously I am the one that got the lucky break last week, not living in a hurricane zone and all. The point is that when we can't even recognize blatant racism when it is right in front of our noses, that is a huge obstacle to ever eliminating it.

Local time
And to add a monkey wrench into this discussion, I believe that most of the racism comes from people who are not white. Just listen to the so called black leaders.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Alisa, I'm not sure how to respond to a long string of nebulous questions. I don't know who the "they" is that mocked Obama. I don't know the answer to all your "who is" questions. You like to ask for cites but didn't provide any.

People who live in hurricane prone areas that refused to evacuate when ordered to are probably the most affected, regardless of color. People who commit heinous crimes are most affected by the death penalty, regardless of color. People who are not really qualified for a loan in the first place are probably most affected by the mortgage crisis.

Is there racism in America? Without a doubt. It is unquestionably MUCH less than it used to be, and much less than "race politicians" would have you believe. I forgot you asked about schools. Read the 7/23 article:

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/williams.html

It has been documented that minorities were offered subprime mortgages even when their credit scores qualified them for standard fixed rate mortgages. It has also been documented that a black defendent is more likely to have the death penalty imposed than a white defendant for an equivalent crime. I don't really want to go into a debate on those points though.

I think that the different perceptions of Obama vs. McCain are more relevant at the moment. I am intrigued that people think Obama doesn't share their values. Here is a man that has been married once, for 20 years, never divorced, and has two children. Isn't that pretty representative of American "values"?

On the other hand, you have a man who has been divorced more than once, and who has admittedly cheated on his wife. Why do people think McCain shares their values? Is it because they also believe in divorce and infidelity?

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
And to add a monkey wrench into this discussion, I believe that most of the racism comes from people who are not white. Just listen to the so called black leaders.

Breaking News! Africans actually enslaved themselves!:rolleyes:

voidcranium

Registered Something.
Local time
dkinley, you bring this up in like every political discussion. While I appreciate the fact that you are interested in history, I am more concerned about eradicating racism in the present. Do you disagree that the current presidential election is exposing racism in America?

Good luck with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom