Inventory Database / sanity check (1 Viewer)

ethan.geerdes

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:46
Hello everyone,

I am trying to build a database that will make our inventory of machines go a little bit more smoothly/user friendly. I currently have an excel spreadsheet of everything of how it is right now on my network. In this spreadsheet, I have a list of all the spaces of all my network drops, all the machines connected to which drop, the monitors attached to the machines and any printers that are mapped locally to the computers. There is a little more to it but those are the key points.

I am not entirely sure at how to set this up to make an effective inventory database but what I'm shooting for is for my technicians to "request" a configuration change. It will then notify our inventory manager via Outlook that there is a request for a computer to be changed, and then when she reviews the request it will make the change on the inventory database.

The way I see this working is through having a table of our current inventory which will be used to validate the devices and the drop numbers, a table for the requests, and a table for the "living" inventory.

Is this possible? Is this going to be a giant pain and is there an easier way of going about this?

Thank you everyone that looks this over, I am open to any suggestions before I undertake this "nifty" project. All your support and feed back is greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom