iPhone, is it worthit? (1 Viewer)

neoartz237

Tensai
Local time
Today, 08:58
My cellphone provider has a promo for exchanging your current phone with the new iPhone 3G for 20K yen, thats 190 USD or 120 Euros.

I love my now-phone, it has a free cell-TV and youtube viewing capabilities. I know the iPhone has no TV whatever in it, I dont even use it anyway so it's no biggie.

So any iPhone users out there? Is it worth it?

tarcona

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:58
I have an iPhone and it is worth it by far. Phone, GPS, REAL internet, iPod? What more do you want. And with this new update for the iPhone that just occurred, you can download applications such as games, instant message clients, navigation, TV apps, radio apps.....the list goes on and on....I think the App Store has like 1000 applications or what not. I check out the Blackberrys and the HTC Touch and the Samsung iPhone "wannabee" phone and nothing even comes close. The iPhone has competitors by years... It sucks because AT&Ts plans are pretty pricey, but it is totally worth the money.

andy15

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:58
Some of the apps advertised look very impressive, it looks very handy.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Just got mine last week..........LOVE IT!!!!!
congrats on your 4th post in 4 years Tech Girl. :D

As for the iPhone, i say forget it, I have a blackberry, and research in motion is better at R & D than AT & T or Apple is. ha! :rolleyes: of course, that's probably not true.

and as for the price of either of these gadgets, they are NOT worth it, unless you get a promotional price, like I, and a lot of other people probably also got. It would be a cold day in he** before I paid $500 for any of these silly gadgets, just to look cool. I don't use most of the applications.

Tech_Girl

Local time
congrats on your 4th post in 4 years Tech Girl. :D

As for the iPhone, i say forget it, I have a blackberry, and research in motion is better at R & D than AT & T or Apple is. ha! :rolleyes: of course, that's probably not true.

and as for the price of either of these gadgets, they are NOT worth it, unless you get a promotional price, like I, and a lot of other people probably also got. It would be a cold day in he** before I paid $500 for any of these silly gadgets, just to look cool. I don't use most of the applications.

wow.....have i really posted 4 whole times....amazing....if i'm not careful, i may get addicted....haha

iPhone is great...and i did get the promotional deal.....you should try it.....the apps are fun! Not sure how *cool* i look using it, but i am enjoying it......LOL

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
I love my ipod Touch. No At&T bills but all the apps I can eat. :)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
I love my ipod Touch. No At&T bills but all the apps I can eat. :)
no treasury bills either i bet. haaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaa. =) I hate bills, and those stupid apps on telephones. I totally despise them, as I have said earlier.

RCheesley

Registered User.
Local time
I have the HTC TYTNii / AT&T Tilt and I have to say it's an awesome phone.

It has everything in built as standard that I wanted - full HSPDA, GPRS & EDGE (whatever that means anyway, but it means I can get net access anywhere!), GPS in-built, Wifi in built and so forth.

The massive advantage for me was that it can run Blackberry Connect (using either Blackberry Enterprise Server or Blackberry Internet Service - the latter is free) so I have the features of a blackberry on a much nicer phone (in my opinion).

I find the slide out keyboard hugely useful, and having TomTom, Memory Maps, Google Maps/Mail/Yahoo/Calendar and a huge range of applications is brilliant - I can even remote desktop into my PC from my mobile! I regularly use IM and Skype on my mobile as well.

Sure, it does run Windows 6.1 but I can live with that. Being able to have up to 16Gb memory on a storage card is also awesome (microSD card).

I don't have anything against Apple but I just find the IPhone a bit too gimmicky and not functional enough for my requirements.

Ruth

simpleviolet

Local time
I think that its really not thelat worth buying, thats only if you already own an iPhone( the 1st generation). Also even though the iPhone can be cheap that plan sill balance out when you use it for a while. Why spend more money to have “touchscreen” and have a apple on the back, when you can just get a blackberry that can do the exact thing as iPhone can do. Some people don’t realize that.

RCheesley

Registered User.
Local time
In response to simpleviolet, why be restricted by the blackberry phones when you can receive emails via blackberry connect on a far more useful platform ;)

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time
I'm not a huge fan of Apple, but I love my iphone having migrated from a Touch (no wifi round here which severly limits the Touch when out and about). The thing that it is actually worst at is being a mobile phone. The phone bit itself is fine but there's still no MMS, no great shakes from my personal point of view, but it's silly on a supposedly next gen device to have to go to a web page to view a photo someone's sent you and it forces you to use Itunes which is about the most hateful piece of software it's been my displeasure to have to use; but as a semi serious PDA and mobile phone, I think it's brilliant.

The way it organises SMS conversations is lovely. The Email app is more than adequate but I do frequently find myself logging into google mail in the web browser so I can search my mail unless I'm missing something obvious.

Downsides for me are:
No/limited flash compatibility in the webbrowser, much as I hate it, people insist on putting it in their web pages.

Inability to play embedded video from webpages

The calendar will only warn you up to two days in advance and you can't tell it to go away but remind you again in x hours/days. I like to get, for example, a week's notice on somethings and that just doesn't seem possible.

I wouldn't mind the ability to create/edit Office documents rather than just view them

And the camera is absolute pony on a device costing this much, it is absolutely no use whatsoever in dim light and certainly no substitute for a cheap point and click camera or even the built in ones on cheap nokia phones.

Overall though, a big thumbs up from me, but if you aren't bothered about the phone bit or have a decent plan/web browser on your existing phone, save a few quid and get the Touch instead. No GPS and limited to where you can get Wi-Fi, but a decent compromise otherwise.

AngelaP

Registered User.
Local time
I own an iPhone 3g and it's great. You can do basically what you do with a computer but on-the-go. I can listen to music, watch videos, play 3D games, go on the web etc.
It's an all-in-one machine.
One con though: its price!

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time
Forgot about the games ;) give it a bit more time and it could seriously rival the DS as a handheld console (the main reason I bought the Touch over the DS was for the other media capability.

The new software is due to hit soon as well, which they'll no doubt charge extra for. For all the whining about MS in comparison to Apple, at least they don't charge you for a service pack to fix the crap that should have been there to begin with.

Is also supposed to be a newer version coming out soon(tm) which could well mean that ebay will be flooded with cheap 3Gs soon (def don't get the non-3G version, EDGE is OK at a pinch, but it's pretty shoddy in comparison).

TopherSD

Registered User.
Local time
We should find out next week about the new phones. I will be getting mine when the new ones come out. Rumor has it the camera will be at least a 3.2mp with autofocus, 32g, more ram, faster processor, etc, etc

The new software is a free upgrade to iPhone owners. Only iPod Touch owners will have to pay for it.

ericryd

Registered User.
Local time
best purchase i've ever made possibly...that and my hdtv :)

TopherSD

Registered User.
Local time
new phones just annouced at Apple's WWDC. I know several people with them and they all love theirs.

crazzycat

Local time
Today, 05:58
I use simp;e mp3 player on my mobile and am quate satisfied with it

ions

Access User
Local time
I had the AT&T Tilt and really didn't like it. I paid people to tweak the interface for me and still wasn't satisfied. I sold the Tilt and bought an Iphone 3GS. The 3GS is an absolutely brilliant machine. It has completely surpassed my expectations.

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
I own an Iphone 3G - its awesome...in my experience the only thing that can come close is the new HTC running Android....in the future Apple will be hard pushed to beat Android software.....keep your eyes on it....

The Android OS should be good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom