Is genius born or made? (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:47
Nope, won't point you to anything. What I told you in another thread about wasting time applies here. Pardon me but I've got more important things to discuss with my phlebotomist.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:47
The theme is that intelligence is linked to height rather than sex. But it does highlight that statistical data can be be selectively organized to assert any conclusion one desires (provided the data and correlation is not too closely examined).
Sex is linked to height. [Runs to the bunker.]

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Sex is linked to height.
is that related to the notion that big hands are an indication of a big johnson? :p a lot of women apparently believe that.

on a side note Jon, your email notification system with this new software is a heck of a lot more accurate than your old one on the old platform.

Cubsm22p

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:47
There is a good book about this topic. It is called Outliers by Malcom Gladwell. If you have audible give it a listen.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:47
Telsa was very intelligent and a strange one (played a little too much with electricity?).

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:47
But was he born as a strange one or was it passion or domestic trouble that made him experiment with electricity ?
How much can a childhood or parents affect someone's ability to be very intelligent or not ?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
How much can a childhood or parents affect someone's ability to be very intelligent or not ?
some argue that genius level intelligence is given at birth. thus, the term "prodigy"

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Of course some argue about that. (https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/04/06/fish-climb/)
But what if a child is a prodigy in playing chess but the parents force him to be baker because of tradition... He may not have any baking talent and will think that he is not intelligent enough like his father.
I believe people can be a genius in 1-2 things. But they will lack intelligence in some other field.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 07:47
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
One of my favorite quotes...even if he may not have ever said it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
One of my favorite quotes...even if he may not had ever said it!
Indeed, but when you read that there was a school where they focused only on the bad things is crazy. I would support someone to do all the stuff he excels in. But that does not make him a genius in my opinion.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:47
Many an outstanding genius was autistic. Newton almost certainly.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
But what if a child is a prodigy in playing chess but the parents force him to be baker because of tradition...
speaking of tradition, some people tell me that's one of the dangers of joining the catholic church. but obviously they do not realize that everyone has a brain and is able to distinguish between BS and the truth. I am constantly disappointed at how segregated churches are based on little stupid differences. It kind of reminds me of technology workers! =(
Many an outstanding genius was autistic. Newton almost certainly.
what about the REAL rainman??

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I believe people can be a genius in 1-2 things. But they will lack intelligence in some other field.
A bit of nitpicking. Reword: "But they will lack perception in some other field.". An aspect of being a genius is perceiving what "normal" people have not yet "discovered" (conceptual leaps).

Additionally, there are polymaths who are geniuses concerning a wide range of discoveries/inventions. Benjamin Franklin Was America’s Founding Polymath.

Last edited:

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Yes @Steve R. that is the correct word. English is not the main language for me so finding the correct words is difficult.
Guess the lack of English perception makes me by default "not genius" :unsure:

Also most here mention only intellectual 'geniuses'. But Usain Bolt is a prodigy in running. That would still make him a genius.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yes @Steve R. that is the correct word. English is not the main language for me so finding the correct words is difficult.
Guess the lack of English perception makes me by default "not genius" :unsure:

Also most here mention only intellectual 'geniuses'. But Usain Bolt is a prodigy in running. That would still make him a genius.
Your English is terrific. I've made plenty of nuance mistakes myself and English is my language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom