Is love conditional (2 Viewers)

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:26
Okay, now I have read the article and I still don't get it...

The article refers to uncinditional love and a Mother who told her son she never wanted to communicate with him again. The Mother never once stated she did not love her son just that his behavior was so unacceptable that she could no longer *deal* with him as a person.

IMHO, I don't believe she stopped loving him... you can't turn that off like a faucet, especially when it's your child. But you can remove him from your *inner circle* of family and friends (and maybe say a little prayer if you go for that sort of thing).

So, to answer the question... Is love conditional? Depends on which love and, again IMHO, a Mommy NEVER stops loving her children and that is unconditional love. As for the rest of it... yep, IMHO it may be conditional, though I can't ever imagine stopping the love I have for my siblings, no matter what they do. I might choose to remove them from my inner circle but never would I stop loving them.

(Notice I said a MOMMY that is because not every woman with children is a MOMMY. And the bashing begins.... now!)

well said: Thank you

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
To add to that, I watched a disturbing video of a young mother beating her infant child with a disgusting hateful look on her face.

I believe love can be described as dynamic for it depends on a human's nature.
(of a process or system) characterized by constant change, activity, or progress.)

think it depends upon whether they want the child in the first place. A maternal attachment will always be there but love is not necessarily automatic.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:26
Why are you so focused on how religion affects people's way loving?

Like most Christians, Dick sees their cult as the ultimate custodian of what they consider "real" love and that love they claim is unconditional as the pure love of their deity.

Of course nothing could be further from the truth. Their God's love is definitely not unconditional. Fail to observe His demands and one is sent to an eternity of suffering.

In fact the Christian relationship with their God is better characterised as an abusive relationship.

The following link is an article that can leave little doubt as to the nature of "God's love". I have yet to see a Christian even attempt to debate the points made.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/essays/is-the-christian-relationship-with-god-healthy/

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
God loves everyone, but also he requires obedience to his rules to avoid punishment (sounds like a parent). There is some question on whether the punishment is eternal, but that would be another discussion.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 17:26
Like most Christians, Dick sees their cult as the ultimate custodian of what they consider "real" love and that love they claim is unconditional as the pure love of their deity.

Of course nothing could be further from the truth. Their God's love is definitely not unconditional. Fail to observe His demands and one is sent to an eternity of suffering.

In fact the Christian relationship with their God is better characterised as an abusive relationship.

The following link is an article that can leave little doubt as to the nature of "God's love". I have yet to see a Christian even attempt to debate the points made.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/essays/is-the-christian-relationship-with-god-healthy/

Your half right. "ultimate custodian of what they consider "real" love" FOR ME. Sorry didn't mean to yell. In fact that is what the original thread is all about. Understanding where others are comng from.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 22:26
God loves everyone, but also he requires obedience to his rules to avoid punishment (sounds like a parent). There is some question on whether the punishment is eternal, but that would be another discussion.

The difference is that most parents keep their children from harm if they can and would not let them suffer when it can be prevented. God!, well millions of his "children" suffer each year, as he is reputed to be able to control the weather for instance, why droughts, floods, tsunami , etc

Brian

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
The difference is that most parents keep their children from harm if they can and would not let them suffer when it can be prevented. God!, well millions of his "children" suffer each year, as he is reputed to be able to control the weather for instance, why droughts, floods, tsunami , etc

Brian

This is what I cannot understand about worshiping a God who 'loves everybody' when he, she, it allows children to die everyday through droughts, disease, famine...etc... Surely if he, she, it loved everybody so much he would not allow children to die...

I know what the answer will be as I had this discussion before after the Boxing Day Tsumani a decade ago, that God punishes, and that is why he kills... but surely what has a child done that needs punishing in that manner...

scott-atkinson

Local time
If there was a being who could create all things in 7 days. Don't you think his intentions for us would be beyond our ability to understand?

That is just a real cop out answer...

If your God loved his creation why would he subject children to pain and suffering, and death in sometimes the most horrible of ways...

KenHigg

Local time
My best response at this point is it is the ultimate test of faith.

scott-atkinson

Local time
My best response at this point is it is the ultimate test of faith.

What exactly is the ultimate test of faith? A child has to die to prove that you have faith, or is it your belief in your faith that helps you sleep at night without waking up in a cold sweat seeing the faces of all the suffering children...!!!!

KenHigg

Local time
Children will die, as will you and I, regardless of what we do. I did not say any children have died in order for God to test my faith.

scott-atkinson

Local time
So for fear of dragging up the whole argument again...

What do you say to the people who say that the Tsunami on Boxing Day that killed over 120k people many of them children in a region that is very God fearing was an act of Punishment by God?

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
God gives us free choice and because of that free choice sin was introduced into the world. The Jews were protected from a number of things, provided they obeyed the rules. When they disobeyed, God removed his protection.

KenHigg

Local time
So for fear of dragging up the whole argument again...

What do you say to the people who say that the Tsunami on Boxing Day that killed over 120k people many of them children in a region that is very God fearing was an act of Punishment by God?

Not sure what I wouild say Scott, if asked by someone who had lost a loved one. I don't think debating it with them would be of any use? Why are you asking me, I didn't make the assertion?

scott-atkinson

Local time
God gives us free choice and because of that free choice sin was introduced into the world. The Jews were protected from a number of things, provided they obeyed the rules. When they disobeyed, God removed his protection.

What does that even mean, and how does it relate to my question about the Tsunami?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom