Where is the final battle? (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 02:09
any opinions on where Jesus will cast the devil into the lake of fire? I know this will spark some off-the-wall comments, but I've taken an interest to this recently. I've read just about every article on Wikipedia that there is on Christianity. I don't particulary have an interest in the end of the world, but I love reading what all of the scholars believe about what bible scripture means. For example, if you average all of the scholars' estimates about when the biblical creation took place, it would be about 4,500 BCE. Then there's the geneology of the bible. Wiki has descedentry from Adam all the way to Jesus. That's unbelieveable. I guess I should read the entire bible to know how they came up with that.

Interesting though are the predictions for what the scholars say the revelation book means. in the articles I read they completely tear it apart and relate, for example the seals of the scroll and the trumpets sounding to natural disasters on earth. It just doesn't seem believable because the language and faith was so much different during the first century. anyone else care to comment? (just keep the bickering to a minimum, cuz I'm interested in what other people know, not how good they can argue.)

Adam Caramon

Local time
Today, 03:09
I'm not super-up on it either. I've probably read a lot of the same articles you have on wikipedia as the religious stuff has always interested me.

The bible has been translated and edited too many times to get a clear picture of what the original intent was, and I'm not sure the bible lays out when/where the Final Christian Smackdown (on Pay-per View) will be.

About the only thing I recall about the end of days (Christian anyhow) is that the bible states that the land called Israel must be in the hands of the Israelis.

But, it will be interesting to see what this thread comes up with.

statsman

Local time
I thought Obi Wan already took care of that in Star Wars III. :D

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 19:09
I asked this type of question pending "year 2000" on when exactly the DateTime was.
Did Auckland residents (New Zealand :)) have 24 hours to wait or did Californian's get short changed and finish a day early??
My question was scoffed at by the all knowing people and I was told to wait and see!

Why do the Muslims and Hindus have to loose their planet because of what us Christians believe ? and vice versa.

Of course, When does the date start counting ?? If only we had Microsoft 2000 years ago and our Date issue would have been much simpler to understand - or would it:eek:

My bank manager believes he knows when the end of my world is coming.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 02:09
Well, you picked a very mysterious part of the Bible to find out about. What makes it so mysterious, is all the symbolism, and of course that the person writing down the revelation probably didn't know what all of the things he was describing or seeing were. There is a lot of speculation. I have been told, though haven't studied myself (actually I will be beginning a study on Revelation in the fall, and will be better prepared then to discuss if you like) that it is a bookend to Genesis. Perhaps starting your study at the beginning would help you understand the end and what all the symbolism means/is? My guess is that you will find many interpretations, each one with some truth. As far as when the end will occur, I doubt you will find it in Revelation. Christians are only told the signs to look for, and to be ready for that day, but we are also told that none know when it will happen, and that it will come like a thief in the night.

One commentarist I would trust, though not a recent author, is Matthew Henry. Here is a link to his Commentary

Without having studied it, I have no idea of the reliability of it. (The commentary, that is) Good luck... It's a very interesting book.

As far as the ancestry of Jesus is concerned, it is traced in the Bible.... But the lists of people can get confusing so be prepared.

chergh

blah
Local time
Today, 08:09
No idea when it is buy my money is on the devil.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 00:09
No idea when it is buy my money is on the devil.

Firstly what are the odds Always the first question before you put a bet on.

Then it would be more prudent to bet against the devil, even if the odds were in his favour.

I think if God wins - you'll have a chance of someone honouring your payout. If the devil wins - you can swing for it!

chergh

blah
Local time
Maybe we could turn it into a tag team event. We could have jesus and santa versus the devil and the easter bunny, I never did trust bunnies.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
As I read it, the bible foretells of "the end of the world as we know it". That could have already taken place. What are the chances that Simon, Peter or Saul/Paul would recognise the world we live in as their own?

Like any good read, there had to be a beginning, a middle and an end.

The Torah, IMHO, is the worlds very first "self help book", and all other "bibles" have simply added arms and legs to it, got to keep the masses interested, else it would never sell.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:09
From what I've read the battle between 'good and evil' will take place at Jerusalem and Satan will be captured and then later thrown into a lake of fire so Jerusalem probably.

Personally though I think the Bible is merely a commentary of life entwined with religious believes that have been misinterpreted, incorrectly translated.

If it is right it's extremely vague ;)

Not turning this into a debate about the Bible but here's something to ponder.

Did you know there are no other records/ writings/ musings written at the time describing Jesus and his miraculous deeds, however there were lots of records of a magician/ entertainer called something like Julius or something close (I'll try and dig it out later)..............

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Did you know there are no other records/ writings/ musings written at the time describing Jesus and his miraculous deeds, however there were lots of records of a magician/ entertainer called something like Julius or something close (I'll try and dig it out later)..............

Now that has captured my interest! I had heard tell that he was of Essenese origin (as was John the Baptist), they were renowned for their magical qualities and their use of the Kabbalah.

You should read Michael Moorcock's "Behold the Man"

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
The last battle is on the fiction shelves under C S Lewis.

That book's as good as any on the subject isn't it.

Other wise - I would guess it would be centred on Israel/Palestine.

---------

Why a middle eastern country is allowed to develop a nuclear weapon - and aspire to wipe other nations off the map - I dont know.

But if Isreal managed it, its only fair others should be allowed to aspire.

Maybe it was our fault.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:09
Now that has captured my interest! I had heard tell that he was of Essenese origin (as was John the Baptist), they were renowned for their magical qualities and their use of the Kabbalah.

Right can't find a link yet after a quick search, it was from QI iirc but I did find this which is interesting.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
From what I've read the battle between 'good and evil' will take place at Jerusalem and Satan will be captured and then later thrown into a lake of fire so Jerusalem probably.

Personally though I think the Bible is merely a commentary of life entwined with religious believes that have been misinterpreted, incorrectly translated.

If it is right it's extremely vague ;)

Not turning this into a debate about the Bible but here's something to ponder.

Didn't Josephus the Jewish historian mention and give a small description of Jesus a couple of times in his Antiquities writings? One in Jewish Antiquities 18.3.3 and the other in Jewish Antiquities 20.9.1.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:09
Those faithful to Abraham's Monster relish the thought of the "end days" and imminent Armageddon when their particular flavour of fascist dogma dominates the planet and all others die.

Clearly at least a billion believers will be very dissapointed (Christians or Jews turn out to be right). Two billion if the Moslems are right and three billion if the Jews prevail. This of course doesn't count the Bhuddists and Hindus who don't seem to share the same taste for destruction. My prediction is that seven billion people will be very disappointed by the crisis.

The faithful and their stone age beliefs are the central problem in the world today as they have been for milennia. Their objectively sick philosophy and anticipation of glory through murder and mayhem absolutely disgust me. Even those who don't actively promote Armageddon are contributing by their ignorant accpetance of the foul philosipies of the Abrahamic faiths.

Adam Caramon

Local time
Even those who don't actively promote Armageddon are contributing by their ignorant accpetance of the foul philosipies of the Abrahamic faiths.

Yeah, but its kind of like racists. I know a lot of older folks (70+) who are very racist. Which is a truly horrible, evil, disgusting thing.

But they don't recognize it, they don't realize it, to them it is normal. When they were young it was what was taught to them.

That's how I look at the deeply religious. They think they are right, they believe it to their core. They were (often) taught about it as a child and didn't know any better. If they are otherwise good people and leave the religious comments to a minimum, I tolerate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom