The Roman reason (1 Viewer)

jpl458

Local time
Yesterday, 18:06
Just heard that homosexuality caused the fall of the Roman Empire. I wasn't taught that in history classes. what I learned was as follows: What caused the fall of Rome? Corruption, the division of the empire, and invasion by Germanic tribes were the three main causes of the fall of Rome. Some scholars believe that there were other contributing factors as well. I also feel that it started when Caesar crossed the Rubicon. The New Speaker of the House should read a book other than the Bible and stop watching YouTube.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:06
Well, if you heard that from a politician, what did you expect other than an advancement of his agenda? The speaker of the house is a member of the Religious Right sub-group of Republicans.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I heard it was "freebies" that caused the collapse. After all their successes they started a welfare state and that started corruption from within.

I could be wrong.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:06
I thought that they all got stupid from drinking wine out of lead goblets but I'd go along with corruption. Homosexuality was more commonly practiced in Greece I thought.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I heard it was "freebies" that caused the collapse. After all their successes they started a welfare state and that started corruption from within.

I could be wrong.

I cannot find the exact quote, but one of the famous Roman writers bemoaned the fact that the Empire's troubles started when the people learned that they could vote benefits for themselves. Ben Franklin repeated it without attribution.

ebs17

Local time
Today, 03:06
Fast food makes you stupid and lazy and slowly destroys empires.

ebs17

Local time
Today, 03:06
No, this was an invention specifically for America.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Only a subset of republicans, Adam. The "Religious Right" is the compendium of crackpots that are ultra-conservative to the point of not recognizing that people have rights unrelated to, and not even imagined in, the Bible.

conception_native_0123

Local time
ultra conservative richard? I guess I have only been seeing them on the TV then. makes me wonder where the rest of them are.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Yesterday, 21:06
I'm sure the anti christ will solve all your problems.

GaP42

Local time
Today, 11:06
Or none at all Mike! Imagine no religion ... not that that would solve all problems - might get rid of a root cause of many. No more imaginary beings that "adults" believe in - cast to the shadows just like ghosts or spirits.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 02:06
I'm coming to the conclusion that nationalism/tribalism tends to the be cause of a lot of issues and nationalism can be secular.
Knowledge is the only virtue.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Or none at all Mike! Imagine no religion ... not that that would solve all problems - might get rid of a root cause of many. No more imaginary beings that "adults" believe in - cast to the shadows just like ghosts or spirits.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time

I could be wrong.
Bingo. But hedonism could definitely be a contributing mindset TO the freebie-atmosphere.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time

While "Imagine" was a great song and often quoted in regards to religion it's not without irony.

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world... You...

His net worth was 200 million at his death, so was it a case of "do as I say not as I do"?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
While "Imagine" was a great song and often quoted in regards to religion it's not without irony.

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world... You...

His net worth was 200 million at his death, so was it a case of "do as I say not as I do"?

Since John Lennon died before disposing of his 200 million, I guess we can never truly know. Yoko, on the other hand, didn't dispose of it so I guess we know where her priorities reside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom