Isaac Asimov Foundation Trilogy (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:23
If you have read the Isaac Asimov Foundation trilogy, then you might find this YouTube video particularly interesting!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:23
Adam, you are entitled to that opinion, but there is a sound basis for the gentleman's comments. Not to mention that Uncle Gizmo's reference to the Isaac Asimov classic double trilogy is appropriate as a relevant work.

It is a long-known fact in chemistry that you can use statistics to predict the behavior of molecules in an enclosed gas (i.e. gas in a closed container). From relatively simple statistical mechanics applied to a model that says each molecule in a homogeneous gas acts like a billiard ball at the atomic level, you can derive the infamous gas law: PV=nRT where pressure, volume, the number of molecules, and the Kelvin temperature are related to each other by the gas constant R. This is an example where the law of large numbers brings statistical validity to formulas that describe certain large collections. This treatment allows "outliers" (i.e. rogues) but still accurately predicts overall behavior because as the numbers get bigger, the average behavior predictions become more precise.

This is the power of math - that when you have a large enough group of anything, you can start to derive trends. Whether we are talking about the random movement of non-reactive molecules in a sealed jar or the flow of electrons through a communications cable or the firing of a transistor when enough current is applied to the base of that transistor, ALL of those things have statistical elements. When we talk about signal-to-noise ratios on a digital comm line or even a fiber channel line, we are REALLY discussing what is the limit for using that comm line based on the statistics of movement of very fast "things" (photons or electrons) that act as the signal carrier.

Asimov's work used a hypothetical study called "Psychohistory" to represent the statistical behavior of planetary populations of multiple billions of people within the galaxy where the total population was in the trillions. His hero, Harry Seldon, was able to predict a terrible collapse of the Empire (galactic-wide civilization) with a horrible "dark age" that would lead to human suffering. He used his math to predict a thousand-year course of action to rescue humanity from 10 to 30 thousand years of barbarism, to shorten the dark ages. You might say he was the ultimate social justice warrior in a lab coat. Now of course that was a novel, but Dr. Asimov was well-versed in many scientific processes and concepts. Therefore, his work is speculative - but not in the category of fantasy. More like true science fiction that speculates on the possible, not the magical.

We cannot forget that visionary sci-fi writers in the past have predicted: Cell phones (and particularly, flip phones); communications satellites; exoskeletal combat suits; robotic exploratory probes; Muzak and internet-based home music devices like Alexa and Siri; artificial intelligence; drone-based military actions... I could go on about this for a while but want to leave fun for others.

Adam, to quote the Bard of Avon: "There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Adam, to quote the Bard of Avon: "There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
the heavens are more powerful than you can fathom richard. at the very end, if you're around (which i'm sure you won't be because that's probably a long ways away), you'll see the fire come out of it and burn the living hell out of everything evil that roams in this place. like I've said before many times, the little guy will eventually win just like he did 2000+ years ago. what's that good old saying from the movies when the underdog wins the game?
sometimes you have to lose to win
case in point => neo in the 3rd and final matrix movie (until of course, they release #4 next year).

by the way, would you care to explain the mathematical concept of 2's compliment to me?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The "sometimes you have to lose to win" quote is Annabella Sciorra speaking to Robin Williams near the end of the movie What Dreams May Come, a Richard Matheson fantasy about the afterlife. You keep on telling me that we are done and that you have given up beating the dead horse. But you haven't, you know. Interesting that you chose that source of a quote since the theme of the movie is that there IS no judgment per se except for the way we judge ourselves. If we are in Hell in that afterlife, it is because we imagined it - or refused to imagine forgiveness for ourselves.

Separate post for the other part of the question. It may be inappropriate for this thread.

EDIT: See this thread and then decide whether you still need to ask the question. Note that there is another link within that thread to a non-forum source for a more detailed look at 2's complement math.

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
well according to the catholic monk I talked to richard, the only unforgiveable sin is believing that you are BEYOND being saved and therefore end up dying wallowing in your own despair. but I can tell you that in my case, back on oct 29th of 2013 i believe, I for sure committed apostasy, and I knew it 100% because I know what it feels like to have the holy spirit come into a life, give the soul a chance to live a righteous life, only to abandon that person's soul after many months of being disobedient. that is exactly the case with yours truly. and I should've been over with at that point, just like paul says in hebrews:
for it is impossible for those who have once been given a taste of the heavenly gift and have shared in the spirit, and then have fallen away once again into sin, to restore them again to repentence since they are once again crucifying the son of many to their own demise
but even though that abandonedment lasted 6 years in my case, it is now back and the gifts are almost the same as they were previously. there are other parts to the story, but that is privy only to the monks. it seems as though a case like mine IS possible, because Paul pretty much contradicts his hebrew words when he speaks in corinthians, this:
if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, etc.....each one's work will become manifest. it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what each one has done. if anyone's work was built on the foundationhe will receive a reward. if anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, but he himself will be saved but only through the fire
perhaps that's the reason why there is heat that comes from inside my chest around the heart almost everyday I stay up all day and night? sometimes it gets hot as god damn oven in there. but I don't expect you or anyone else on this board to believe any of those words, because the spirit has a very high tendency to make his presence known in very controversial scenarios. perhaps he does that because he's hiding in secret? thus that's where you will find him. per the son:
for when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites and seek attention, but rather go into a private room and pray to the father. and your father, who is in secret, will reward you
that mistake is made all day long every day by almost every church member in the world. I see it every day by the catholics too. it happens to those who deny the truthful words of the victor and change them to cover their own personal fears.

by the way, I DID see that robin williams movie. I thought it was a pretty good concept. I thought cuba gooding did a great job.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before and it still smacks of wishful thinking fantasies. I'd see a doctor about feeling heat in your chest. Have you been eating too many jalapeno peppers on your pizza?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before and it still smacks of wishful thinking fantasies. I'd see a doctor about feeling heat in your chest. Have you been eating too many jalapeno peppers on your pizza?
I knew you would come back with nonsense. the doctors can't do anything. but just know richard, like I say, when the spirit makes his presence known, there are usually other occurances surrounding it that makes it looks controversial. have you read about padre pio like I told you too? on the wiki page it says that a woman came forward after he died and claimed that 2 days or something before he had his vision of christ and received the stigmata wounds, he was seen at a hospital or clinic or someplace like that buying carbolic acid for the purpose of sterilizing needles to give kids flu shots or something. I'd have to read it again to know what he was buying it for. but there's yet another case where 50% are believers and 50% claiming that it's bull$hit. remember though, those are the exact statistics that jesus racked up when he was preaching too. coincidence? hmmmm....you be the judge, mr veteran. :)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 17:23
Concerning "free will" and humans acting as "groups"; I like the paraphrased quote (origin unknown): "If we really had free will, why is it that we (as a group) do certain activities (leave work) at the same time?"

On a more somber note and possibly in-line with Asimov. The US is currently going through a period of mass hysteria, similar to what the French and Russian revolutions experienced. Less the guillotine, of course. (To actually be in-line with Asimov, you would need to take trends of the past XX years and apply a model to see if the current period of mass hysteria could be predicted. This could simply be a "black swan" event.)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
you be the judge, mr veteran

But your own religion says exactly that, Adam. Each of us has to individually decide to make (or not make) Jesus our personal savior. Isn't that what your side of the narthex always says? Obviously, I've made my decision. You disagree. I got that. But anecdotal tales of people doing nice things (like your Padre Pio story) has NOTHING to do with divine magic.

Also remember this: I have never said that the Bible was rubbish. Some interpretations of it? PURE rubbish. But there are good lessons there. Like forgiveness, or acceptance of the differences of others. You just have to sort through the mystical chaff to get to the good grain.

And by the way, your insistent injection of religion has hijacked Uncle G's thread. The mention of your friend the monk was a major digression.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I think we're at the end of the road for the 2nd time richard. let us go about the different paths we're on, huh? good luck to ya. I'm sure you're looked upon as a good soul by the judge. but you won't know until that magic day comes when you finally depart.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
why did you post that sadness!? what did I say!? surely you don't want to carry on this conversation with me, do you? someone who fantasizes about falseness?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What do you EVER say? (Answ: The wrong thing.)

Dreamweaver

Local time
Love the fountation/robot series can see where what the guy was getting at.
So asimov can predict the future after all 😀

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
At least some of Asimov's stories were predictive. I would love to get my hands on a sample of his thiotimoline. You can find it described in the Journal of Irreproducible Results.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Multiple members have called you down on things you have said and you STILL have to ask what you have said that was wrong?
Sheesh!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
what does "calling me down" mean? you still haven't answered the question richard. I can't remember at this point, I do so much stuff all day long it's hard to remember what I said on this board and what I didn't. was it a false prophecy with regard to christianity? was it bad access advisee? but you can literally find that *anywhere*, except for the ones we're lving.

Dreamweaver

Local time
@vba_php I've always thought you post more to get you post count up rather than having valid input into the problem.

Sometimes I wonder how old you are as you seem to respond like my daughter would have 11 years ago she's 26 now.

You've been here five mins and you already have a post count more than mine and I've been here since 2004.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom