Issues with lccdb file not closing (1 Viewer)

PaulA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:11
Hi, all -

We are using Access 2013 for a split shared database.

I know this is a common issue but the lccdb file for our shared backend db does not close, even when all users seem to be out of the FE database. I've done research but haven't found a solution. All our users have complete rights to the folder the houses the BE file.

Our users are required by our customer who manages our IT and the server to not shut down their computers at the end of the day - the sleep mode on their computer is enough for system management by, again, external customer IT.

I have the FE programmed to close after 10 minutes of inactivity. Does this shut down access completely, including the link to the backend?

I'm trying to figure out why so many are indicated as connected to the BE file when they shouldn't be.

One solution may be to have each user restart their computer at the end of the day. This would severe, I would hope, any connections to the BE file and hopefully close the lccdb file.

Would creating a dummy form in the BE that is bound to a primary table be programmed to close the BE DB after 10 minutes be a solution?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Hmmm so IT are telling you they have the correct privileges or you absolutely have seen it yourself?

Firstly if you have control take a copy of the front and back end and set it up on a local computer and see if it works as expected.

If it does then I would suggest this is a strong suggestions that the users may have read and write permissions on the share but NOT Modify or Full - I am guessing everyone needs to be given modify permission (probably don't want them to give full permission as I believe that gives permission to give permissions its kind of admin role) The last person out needs probably these permission but as you never know who that will be I guess every user needs the permission.

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
have your tried deleting the .lccdb file when you are sure no one is on the system?

It will be left if a user does not close down their access front end properly - perhaps IT are rebooting machines overnight and a user did not close their copy FE before going home

I have the FE programmed to close after 10 minutes of inactivity. Does this shut down access completely, including the link to the backend?
not tested but suspect if a user has put their machine to sleep, this won't be happening

PaulA

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the suggestions. I am an offsite administrator for the database but the server administrator checked and said all users have full rights.

I may have the solution, but the server administrator did suggest in the meantime to have each user restart their computer before leaving which closes anything still open when workstations go to sleep mode.

Thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom