Its been an eventful week (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 07:58
In perusing this thread, I am shocked at just how unsophisticated and not-fancy I am in comparison to what seems to be the norm.
In my personal/non-corporate life, I back up all my files on an automatic schedule using a cloud service like ADrive. And make a mental note of what apps I have installed, and that's about it! Worst case scenario, I could lose a few hours worth of files, depending on how I've chosen to set up my ADrive synch jobs. I also tend to use older laptops that I buy for pennies on the dollar off of Craigslist - although I've been known to buy a new cheap one from time to time. Has never failed to do the job including consulting work all these years.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:58
I use AOMEI backup and restore also. I like it. I have had customized(limited functionality) versions of Acronis accompany some SSD purchases.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:58
I've had my space ship spec laptop go west on me this morning. Automated Lenovo updates, Bios update. Done it many times before, never an issue.
Downloaded, started to reboot, I went off for coffee came back to a blank screen but the power was on. Waited 15 minutes, not a peep.

Much faffing about later swapped the two SSD's into a spare identical machine (lucky I have one), and was back up and running in about 10 minutes. It's being picked up under warranty tomorrow. Tech support guy was pretty straight and to the point. After he got me to try a couple of ninja button pressing moves with no result, he said: "Well that's bricked then"!

I had to stifle a laugh.

Luckily all worked apart from the Bluetooth devices straight away. But miffed as I'm down to 32Gb of Ram...
All the important files are backed up internally onto another SSD (Hence two) hourly and remotely every evening. The apps are a pain in the backside to reload if I ever need to.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I presume knicking some memory from the first one would invalidate the warranty?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I presume knicking some memory from the first one would invalidate the warranty?
To manoeuvre it around would have meant taking the keyboard out to get to the first two "factory" memory slots. I had a distinct lack of Arsed by that stage and needed to achieve some real work... It seems to work acceptably with just the 32GB :cool:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
To manoeuvre it around would have meant taking the keyboard out to get to the first two "factory" memory slots. I had a distinct lack of Arsed by that stage and needed to achieve some real work... It seems to work acceptably with just the 32GB :cool:
My laptop and the one I was given for work, still have removable batteries, memory and disks from the base.
My sister bought a new laptop only a year or so ago and that has an inbuilt battery. Obviously is could be replaced, but will probably be a bit of a nightmare to get to it.?
I've only ever removed keyboards on laptops when the screen went u/s.

This is meant to be progress? :(

deletedT

Local time
This is meant to be progress?
This is meant to be business. It makes us to buy a new one if the procedure of replacing/repairing is difficult. and that's what the manufacturers are after.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
To be fair the other two memory slots (it has four), SSD slots and even the BIOS battery are all easily got at by removing the bottom panel which is only 5 screws.
The battery is a removal type.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Although this thread has long since wandered into different areas, here is a quick update which relates to some of the points in my original post...

Today has been a good day. I’m a very happy bunny!

Earlier this afternoon I had to do some rewiring.
Without thinking, I switched off the power circuit to which my computer was connected & still running!
Oops. That could have been a further disaster
I have just restarted my PC & it went back into disk checking my work files drive for the third time in a week.

I was getting stressed but ...
Magic!
My work files folder is now accessible, as is Outlook and my main backup drive.
Whilst there may be the odd lost file stored on a bad sector, so far all looks good!

In the past week I have done nothing to attempt recovery. It just fixed itself …at the third attempt! Yippee
It goes without saying that I will be running a complete backup shortly!

Also I believe I'm beginning to shake off the shingles which had stopped me spending time attempting any computer repairs in the past week.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:58
Colin, ...

Regarding shingles... TERRIFIC news. I'm happy for you. My mild case a couple of years ago was annoying as all heck, but I do appreciate the fact that you can get some relief.

Regard the disk... I pretty much let the CHKDSK/REPAIR function "have its way" and eventually my disk got usable and passed the CHKDSK (no repair) scan completely. Of course, CHKDSK knows to keep its hands (well... heads) off of bad blocks. So once it recovered what it could recover and marked what it could mark, my old system disk is usable again. But no biggie, it will work quite well as a backup drive and work area.

I found a huge thumb drive that was big enough for me to back up my user infrastructure (\USERS\username\ folders plus a few others in the Program Files area). So every now and then I run that backup. If I have made a few updates on my ancestry stuff, I'll run the backup that night. When all I've been doing is online forum stuff, there is little or nothing to save and what I would want to keep is on the forum anyway. So no problem there either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom