Love the snow! (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:48
Best seen using one of the dark themes. And don't forget santa's hat on the logo!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 16:48
santa is done with now, Jon.

Noooooooo!

Don't be like the people in my neighborhood; my wife and I got back from an out of country trip yesterday and took an evening walk; 90% of the Christmas decorations were already off the houses and out of people's yards. I was a bit surprised; after all the work it takes to put them up (and buy them), I always leave mine up until a week into January. Not from laziness, just ... why undo such a big (and beautiful) ordeal, so fast?

Unfortunately I had to take mine down early (PRIOR to Christmas & our trip), but that was only because I hesitate to leave a bunch of electric cords around a yard that can accumulate water during our winter rains. I already miss my giant Frosty snowman inflatable. Today I must take down what remains of the Christmas lights, since it would appear half-done if lit.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Edit ... I just realized it may be because our neighborhood's H.O.A. (a mostly-evil American device used to devise and enforce rules of specific small neighborhoods of homes) may have a rule about up until what date after a major holiday decorations can be up.

But why people are so afraid of violating them I have no idea; the first consequence would be nothing more than a letter in the mail and it's well worth it to maximize the public celebration of CHRISTMAS whenever and wherever we can in a society that is quickly losing its moorings and national heritage.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
In the UK the unwritten rule is that all Xmas decorations (inside or outside) should be taken down on the 6th Jan. That's 12 days after Xmas day. Or woe betide, you will have bad luck for 12 months. Of course that is total bo**ocks as is the nativity story, but it gives you 12 days to sober up.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:48
In most Christian situations, 12th night (Jan 6th) is the time to consider the end of the season and start preparing for Lent. I'm not entirely sure that HOAs and Christian go together, though.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I'm sad you feel that way, but I'm not surprised.
I'm guessing you wouldn't care to expand on that comment?
It gives the impression that if someone doesn't believe in your God they must be a bad person. Note - there are many on these forums classed as 'non believers', so you class us all in the same boat, irrespective if someone believes in something more tangible.
Col

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'm guessing you wouldn't care to expand on that comment?
It gives the impression that if someone doesn't believe in your God they must be a bad person. Note - there are many on these forums classed as 'non believers', so you class us all in the same boat, irrespective if someone believes in something more tangible.
Col
No that's not true. The comment he made didn't whatsoever sound like he was saying you are a bad person, but your reaction does sound typical for a non-believer who is hoping to cast all believers as rude people when they can think of no other thing to come back with..

He said it made him sad. That sounds absolutely nothing like saying you're a bad person.

When you're sad for someone, that sounds a lot more like compassion to me. But I understand that for many people, compassion is hard to accept if it comes from someone that you don't expect it to come from.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Hmm, maybe I should learn compassion after 70 odd years on this planet, then maybe I'll recognise it when it comes along. The problem is, I've never really liked people and am always suspicious of ulterior motives. Now I live alone, I am quite happy going days without speaking to anyone, and am most happy tending my garden.
Col

undeprecated

Local time
Yesterday, 19:48
When I first saw it, I thought I had a small spider crawling down my monitor.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Hmm, maybe I should learn compassion after 70 odd years on this planet, then maybe I'll recognise it when it comes along. The problem is, I've never really liked people and am always suspicious of ulterior motives. Now I live alone, I am quite happy going days without speaking to anyone, and am most happy tending my garden.
Col

ehh - I hear ya'. [I understand]. I myself , according to my daughter, am "way too suspicious of everyone, Daddy".

I told her as a 22 yr old girl, you might want to learn to be a bit that way yourself ...... but...... it goes in one ear and out the other.

Enjoy your garden ... That's a noble endeavor. (Truly)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The snow will be going soon, so let me turn it into a storm for just the last day!

JonXL

Local time
Yesterday, 18:48
I don't see any snow or storm. :(

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Maybe you have some Chrome Extension that blocks stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom