Solved Make new contact list, have assets autopopulate to that contact (1 Viewer)

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:27
@bob fitz , I think new posters here are prevented from posting urls (even plain text IIRC) until they have made a minimum number of posts.

@hamiltonkane appears to have solved his current issue

(I need to get new glasses!)
You may be correct about "new posters", I can't remember that far back anymore :ROFLMAO:

Not so sure about the need for new glasses though. In post #12 at: https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=88955
he said, "Okay thank you, you are awesome. You saved me lol, what did you change so I can change the vehicle field and so I know for future reference?"

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:27
welcome aboard @hamiltonkane Once you get more than the minimum number of posts, you will be able to post links. But for future reference, post the question here AND include a link. Until you can post actual links, you can add spaces in obvious places so people get the link by putting the pieces together.

If you have an existing list and you want to substitute a different list, there is no automatic way for Access to know which old list entry matches the new list entry. YOU need to create a cross reference list and then update the old foreign keys to match the new foreign keys.

hamiltonkane

Local time
You may be correct about "new posters", I can't remember that far back anymore :ROFLMAO:

Not so sure about the need for new glasses though. In post #12 at:
he said, "Okay thank you, you are awesome. You saved me lol, what did you change so I can change the vehicle field and so I know for future reference?"
Before I found out the code broke the entire program. Thank you for your help.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@hamiltonkane You've given us nothing to work with here. If Bob gave you a solution, please mark the thread as solved.

hamiltonkane

Local time
@hamiltonkane You've given us nothing to work with here. If Bob gave you a solution, please mark the thread as solved.
I simply just need to populate assets into another contact list. If you would like to recreate this problem, simply just make a microsoft access program with an asset tracking template. Make a 2nd contact list and have those assets populate to the 2nd contacts lists details when assigned like it populates into the default contacts lists details. As shown here:

employeedetails.png

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:27
If I'm not being thick here, the contact isn't assigned to the asset, the asset is assigned to a contact.
How does having a second contact list help?

In other words there is a contact ID stored in the Asset information. Or not if it's unassigned.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
simply just make a microsoft access program with an asset tracking template.
You're new here and seem to be floundering. You will get far better support if you don't ask people to make a new database to solve your problem. Clearly state the problem and give us a way to reproduce the error if you can. That means to post a copy of your database (make sure that sensitive data is obfuscated) and provide directions on how to reproduce the problem.

There is something wrong with your previous post. The picture is overlying other parts of your post. Please edit the post and add some space lines to fix that problem.

It looks like you may have a pop up form rather than a subform and that is what is causing the issue. When you use a subform, the FK is automatically populated provided that you properly fill in the master/child link data. With a popup, YOU have to code this populating the FK yourself.

The best solution is to pass in the FK value in the OpenArgs argument of the OpenForm method (make sure you save the current record before opening the popup form). Then in the popup's BeforeInsert event, fill in the FKfield.

Me.SomeFieldName = Me.OpenArgs

hamiltonkane

Local time
If I'm not being thick here, the contact isn't assigned to the asset, the asset is assigned to a contact.
How does having a second contact list help?

In other words there is a contact ID stored in the Asset information. Or not if it's unassigned.
I have a vehicle list and a job site list. I need to see where the assets are in those lists as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom