Miss America (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 13:41
rak said:
Do the English have ? :rolleyes:
Being as we've been at war on and off with France for centuries and it's 22 miles from Dover, I think we've got a rough idea. Plus we buy our cheap booze and fags from there:p
Which one :
New York (Florida)
New York (Texas)
New York (Missouri)
New York (Iowa)
New York (New Mexico)
New York (Kentucky)
New York (Jamaica)
New York (Lincolnshire) in UK
New York (North Yorkshire) in UK
New York (Tyne and Wear) in UK

:p :D

Isn't there a New York, New York? so bad they named it twice?:confused:

Col

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 14:41
ColinEssex said:
Being as we've been at war on and off with France for centuries and it's 22 miles from Dover, I think we've got a rough idea.

You're sure you're not mixing up with that little Island, called Guernsy or Jersey ? :rolleyes:

ColinEssex said:
Isn't there a New York, New York?

That's not a city , but the title of a song ! :cool:

R

Rich

rak said:
You're sure you're not mixing up with that little Island, called Guernsy or Jersey ? :rolleyes:
The Channel Isles (of which there are actually more than two) are far more than 22miles off the British mainland. Are you sure you're not American, Ron?:confused: :p

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
rak said:

No. The distance between Dover and Calais is 22 miles. ref

That's not a city , but the title of a song ! :cool:

Isn't New York in the state of New York?

Col

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:41
Rich said:
Not yet though, surely?:eek:

I hope not, but going with my family history high blood pressure, cancer, stroke etc. I wouldna be surprised of anything

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:41
Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Rich said:
The Channel Isles (of which there are actually more than two) are far more than 22miles off the British mainland. Are you sure you're not American, Ron?:confused: :p

No, plain dutch, why ?:rolleyes:

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
KalelGmoon said:
Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

New York was Dutch as of 1625. In 1628 Peter Minuit bought Manhattan from the Indians for 60 florins. In 1664, while the dutch wanted to protect the bont trade , the English took over New Amsterdam and changed it to New York. In 1673 the dutch conquered it again and changed the name to New Oranje. In 1674 New Oranje was carried over to the English permanently for one florin.
I never understood why we sold that little island for so less . :confused:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 08:41
rak said:
New York was Dutch as of 1625. In 1628 Peter Minuit bought Manhattan from the Indians for 60 florins. In 1664, while the dutch wanted to protect the bont trade , the English took over New Amsterdam and changed it to New York. In 1673 the dutch conquered it again and changed the name to New Oranje. In 1674 New Oranje was carried over to the English permanently for one florin.
I never understood why we sold that little island for so less . :confused:

Manhattan is only worth about 3 or 4 Trillion now days.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Only if somebody's stupid enough to buy it
On the contrary, it appears to be quite a good investment if you can afford it. ;)

R

Rich

Kraj said:
On the contrary, it appears to be quite a good investment if you can afford it. ;)
Nah my money's safer in the bank, even if the bas&ards charge me for the privilege of depositing my money there:mad: :mad:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Nah my money's safer in the bank, even if the bas&ards charge me for the privilege of depositing my money there:mad: :mad:

Do you think it would be possible for you to say one intelligent thing today?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Certainly, you start first?
Would you like to have a contest, with the judges made up of our peers?

Say six judges.

Half British, Half American. I pick the Brits you pick the Americans. And everyone else on the forum takes a vote and it counts for half.

I think I'm smarter than you, and would certainly like to prove it.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
I think I'm smarter than you, and would certainly like to prove it.
Well let me see, just a few months ago you were here complaining about the demise of the property market in the US. Now you're here praising it's value, are you sure you want a competition?:rolleyes:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Well let me see, just a few months ago you were here complaining about the demise of the property market in the US. Now you're here praising it's value, are you sure you want a competition?:rolleyes:

Well it doesn’t take a genius to realize that both cases can be correct. Manhattan is a very unique circumstance. In a country as large as the US many different market condition exist.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Well it doesn’t take a genius to realize that both cases can be correct. Manhattan is a very unique circumstance. In a country as large as the US many different market condition exist.
Well then it doesn't take another genius to realise that those complaing about the state of the property market elsewhere should move to NY

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Well then it doesn't take another genius to realise that those complaing about the state of the property market elsewhere should move to NY

That only works if you already own property there. I would never live in NY.
Would you live in London?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom