MQ feeds into Access BE - is it possible? (AC2007) (1 Viewer)

AOB

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:34
Hi guys,

I need to create an Access database to house and report on some data. The data is held elsewhere and the correspondence I've had with their tech team is that they can supply the relevant data, however they would expect to send it via some form of MQ feed rather than a basic extract which I could just import via my usual routines. The volume would be considerable (~50k records per day) but I would hope to be able to normalise it somewhat in my local database such that I could hold 2-3 months of records at a time, or split it out among several BE's if necessary.

So my question is - is it possible to use an Access database on a network drive as the recipient of data via an MQ feed? Or is that something which one would need SQL Server or similar to allow? (I don't have the budget to procure SQL Server space for this project...)

If so, has anyone any decent reading material or links I could read up on to see what's involved?

If not, has anyone any suggestions as to alternatives for retrieving this data from the source? (I doubt - but yet to confirm - they would allow me to query the data directly from their server. I've yet to broach the idea of a scheduled extract; I suspect it might be costly for them to develop)

Thanks in advance

AOB

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 05:34
And an MQ feed is : (fill in the blanks)

AOB

Registered User.
Local time
Haha - fair point spike... To be honest, it's something I'm aware of, but have never physically worked with personally. Broadly speaking, as I understand it, it's a direct feed between two systems (presumably in realtime, but not sure) I suspect it makes use of xml structure to package data in nodes and send it down a pipe but, like I say, I've never been involved with one myself so I may be wrong. I think it's an IBM thing?

I was kinda hoping it was something generally known in the development community. A standard method of transmitting data from one system to another. Evidently not?...

HiTechCoach

Local time
Yesterday, 22:34
See: Message Queuing (MSMQ)

Message Queuing (MSMQ) technology enables applications running at different times to communicate across heterogeneous networks and systems that may be temporarily offline. Applications send messages to queues and read messages from queues.

Developer Audience

Message Queuing applications can be developed using C++ APIs or COM objects. Applications can be built in any of the popular development environments: for example, Microsoft® Visual Basic®, Visual Basic® Scripting Edition, Visual C++®, Visual Studio® .NET, Borland Delphi, and Powersoft Powerbuilder. This allows applications to be developed for the Internet as well, including both server-side (Internet Information Server) and client-side (Internet Explorer) applications. The .NET Framework offers a set of managed Message Queuing objects.

You can probably create a Access front end that can handle this using the MSMQ COM object

The issue will be with the back end size.. I would recommend using SQL Server Express 2008R2 or later.

I was kinda hoping it was something generally known in the development community. A standard method of transmitting data from one system to another. Evidently not?...
At least not common in the Access database world.

Last edited:

AOB

Registered User.
Local time
Wonderful - thanks Boyd!

HiTechCoach

Local time
Yesterday, 22:34
You're welcome.

Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread