Musk's Acquisition of Twitter Drags On (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 07:17
As I write this, the stock price of Twitter (TWTR) is $37.25 per share. What does this tell us?
  • The market does not believe that Musk will acquire TWTR at $54.20 per share.
  • TWTR is not worth $54.20.
It appears that Musk made the offer to buy TWTR on April 14, 2022. The fact that the stock price of Twitter did not immediately jump to $54.20, or has otherwise increased over the intervening time implies that the proposed acquisition is simply dragging on.

This post is a follow-up to the thread below.

As a side note:
Employees, have a personal freedom-of-speech right, to express their (individual) opinions. However, when they organize to publicly intimidate a company into acquiescing to certain demands that are "out-of-focus" with the business goals of a company, the employees have crossed an invisible line that justifies their termination. Netflix, for example, simply stated (paraphrased), "If you don't like the company, don't work here." It is about time, that company management pushed back at this type of intimidation.

Ironically, there is a side side note. The New York Post writes: Disney slams Florida for signing ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill into law. Did the management of Disney put the proposal that Disney as a company should slam Florida before it's share holders? This is of critical concern from the perspective that Democrats claim with great sanctimony to stand for democracy as an institution. Yet, the management of Disney did not ask its "voters" (shareholders) if they approve of management's action. In a general sense, companies should stay out of politics as their job is to sell. Should they wish to make a political statement, management should put that question before the shareholders for approval.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:17
The $54.20 is the hostile takeover price that includes a premium. After finding shenanigans in the bookkeeping Musk is no doubt angling for a better price or to get out altogether.

I read somewhere yesterday that Musk might support DeSantis for a presidential run.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:17
Last I heard, there was some evidence that about 20% of the Twitter accounts were bots of some sort, which - if you were buying it for market share - would mean that the original presentation of market share was artificially inflated. I.e. misrepresentation to a potential buyer, which I would call fraud. Musk is probably right to force a re-evaluation.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 04:17
Kraken is also standing up to the mob.

I was happy to read that too. I remember that I worked somewhere years ago where the management openly said if everyone always agrees then people aren't being honest. What happened to that common sense? Bring it back.

"The Offended Generation"
Or
The Victim Generation
Would be my votes

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
It's over, maybe. Lawsuits to follow. Original thread: Twits Running Twitter
The stock market never believed that his acquisition would ever occur.
Whether Musk was playing us or not with is offer is unknown.
One unexpected outcome of Musk's offer and the reaction by the Twitter staff demonstrated that social media actively tilted the 2020 Presidential election to favor Biden and denigrate Trump. Though this acquisition appears to have now died, Musk did make a significant contribution to promoting free-speech and exposing the corruption of platforms such as Twitter.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Lawsuits to follow.
yup. Twitter is going to sue to enforce the deal. Didn't he waive his due diligence rights when he made the offer?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Hopefully Musk will have some excellent lawyers. Will Twitter really want to have their internal operations exposed through a trial? This could be a bigger entertainment circus than the Johnny Depp v. Amber Heard trial.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I can't wait to see their algorithms used to block conservatives and shadow ban them.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Hopefully Musk will have some excellent lawyers. Will Twitter really want to have their internal operations exposed through a trial? This could be a bigger entertainment circus than the Johnny Depp v. Amber Heard trial.
Very enjoyable!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Did they ever publish the percentage of Twitter users that turned out to be bots?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Musk pulled the plug. Today, the price of Twitter (TWTR) collapsed to $33.36 over the lunch hour. The price will fluctuate over time. TWTR, has been significantly overvalued. Where the bottom (true value) is, is an unknown.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time

I'm not sure how this is going to shake-out in the end, but it would appear to favor Musk legitimately backing out of his proposed acquisition. It would appear, that as Twitter's dirty laundry is exposed; that Musk could successfully back-out of his proposed acquisition based on Twitter "violating" the law.

I don't think Twitter really wants to be exposed to sunlight.

JonXL

Local time
No. Twitter should pay Musk $1 Billion to walk away so he won't expose them in court. ;)
At this point wouldn't that be as good an admission of guilt as anything?

I can't imagine the effect on Twitter's stock price being much different paying off Musk after initially fighting him vs just letting the evidence come out. The action of paying him off would speak clearly enough given all that's recently happened.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And NOW, there is a Twitter whistle-blower muddying up the waters. Elon probably did well to step away from THAT hornet's nest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom