Name 5 things that really annoy you (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 23:04
People who talk while they eat
at the monastery, the rule of the house is silence during meal times in an effort to show appreciation the blessings that comes from God's green Earth.
People who do idiot acts and upload it to social media just to get attention and thousands of likes.
you mean like those stupid pictures people take of their food before delving in?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:04
  • People who throw litter into my driveway
  • People who take my favourite seat at my local coffee shop
  • People who cyber-squat on domain names I want to buy
  • People who don't care about the truth
  • People who take the last pain au raisin while I am just behind them in the queue at my local

deletedT

Local time
at the monastery, the rule of the house is silence during meal times in an effort to show appreciation the blessings that comes from God's green Earth.
I didn't meant this. I don't like silence either. Maybe I mis-phrased what I intended to say. I better have said : People who talk while they have food in their mouth.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@vba_php: Regarding the EQ article, it is a matter of balance. To be a complete person you need both an EQ and an IQ, and then find the point where you are comfortable with the balance thereof. If the world were purely black-and-white issues with no gray area, decisions would be no problem at all. My wife and I support certain specific charities that involve feeding the hungry and poor people of this world. We have decided that was OUR best choice with the resources we have that we CAN afford to share. We have to leave other types of help to those who are better at it or have more resources (or both).

Sorry, Colin, I'll back out of the hijack now.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I think that might make my coffee bill a bit pricey.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Let me add another annoyance:
  • People who think you are stingy because you wont' contribute to *their* particular charity

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
People who talk while they have food in their mouth.
that's just as bad as chewing with your mouth wide open, IMO.
My wife and I support certain specific charities that involve feeding the hungry and poor people of this world.
That might just get you a ticket of entry into that wonderful place with the white guiding light as a welcoming sign. You're getting closer, sir. :)
Sorry, Colin, I'll back out of the hijack now.
we hijacked it for a few posts, but I don't think we're doing that anymore. These current short to-dos are just fine.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You're getting closer, sir.

But in fact, haven't moved. I ALWAYS supported "feed the poor" charities but my dear wife happened to know of one with a slightly better track record. So I support "Second Harvest" in our area. We discovered that they have methods of getting things wholesale that have the effect of multiplying cash donations by 15.5 - I.e. donate a dollar, not much retail buying power. But if you are large enough you can use bulk wholesale tricks to parley that $1.00 into $15.50 (retail equivalent) worth of food. And their overhead costs are not bad compared to some cases where the bosses live high on the hog and leave the cracklins for the poor people.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 00:04
  1. Time compression in movies. It takes time to move from point A to point B. Yet in many movies, travel appears instantaneous. This also applies to situations were a character has to build some fantastical device and just happens to find all the parts needed to immediatly construct it. For the sake of simplicity and to move the story line along, I will live with it.
  2. Junk mail that is made to look like a government document, check, bill, etc. I wonder how much mail that is real is confused with the junk mail and gets accidentally tossed.
  3. In movies the use of guns in airplanes and spaceships. The skin of airplanes and spaceships is fragile. Bullets would easily puncture them resulting in rapid decompression.
  4. Commercials that assert, by spending money, that you are actually "saving" money. Getting a discount is nice, but the implication is that the consumer is gullible.
  5. Commercials offering to buy a structured settlement. The implication is that the consumer is unable to manage their own money. The money you receive today, means that money won't be available in the future. Save that money until you have enough to buy whatever. Of course there may be times when one has to use this type of service.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Steve R. ---

Your #4 and #5 are examples of MY pet peeves of commercials that insult your intelligence.

Your #2 happened to me this week. I got something with the words "Official" and "Census" in the cover envelope - but when I opened it I found it was actually from the Republican National Committee and was a survey and a beg-a-thon mailout. I might answer the survey but I'm DAMNED if I will give them any money. If I have to give money to make my voice heard then they DON'T serve the people they claim to represent. In which case, SCREW them and all they stand for.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:04
Sometimes the postal Indicia will give you a clue. If they paid next to nothing to get it to you, it might be junk. If they used a presort service to get a large discount more then likely you have been lumped in with thousands of other people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom