New here, and Utterly confused (1 Viewer)

Donury236

Local time
Today, 01:17
So, me. I work for a local authority social care partnership in Scotland. Currently I do the admin for servicing and install/removal for hoists, CT hoists, stairlifts and special bathroom equipment that we issue.

Outside of that I and my partner are parents to 2 humans and have amassed 3 cats (it was 4 but we lost one in a hit and run on the 28th December). When not in lock down I ferry my kids about to their hobbies and live vicariously through them.
I am probably more connected to a computer than I really should be as I do like to play games outside of work (city builders and the likes - hence the working for a local council). Currently in the process of buying my dads old house, so soon be back to the DIY!

I'm here to see if I can figure out a wee database that can hold the info we currently have in 10 spread sheets and that using annoys me so so much! Just a stop gap until we can get a new equipment system that meets our needs in general.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

Here are just a couple of tips for you:

1. Feel free to ask any question you like, however basic you may feel it is, or even if it has been answered before. Our expert members thrive on helping you out!

2. If you prefer a dark theme to the forums, just go to the bottom left of this forum and click "Default style". You will then see a selection of themes to choose from. I like Shades of Blue. :)

3. If you like any of the answers you get, feel free to click the "Like" link on the bottom right hand corner of the post. If you hover over the Like link, you can even choose the type of smiley.

Above all, hang around here, have fun, learn stuff and join in.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:17
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I'm here to see if I can figure out a wee database that can hold the info we currently have in 10 spread sheets

Welcome to AWF....

This might be of interest:-

Donury236

Local time
FAB, I shall have a read.
I have to use the data in the sheets for a variety of 'things' but it's mainly - List of clients and then a list of the equipment. And I need to log service dates (due and done) when installed and when removed. I want to be able to track from the client-side what they have had, and from the equipment side where it has been.
We do use a program for ALL the equipment, but we cannot extract the data we need from it to send over to the company that does our servicing - and of course, they use a different equipment database - and they require excel to upload the data they need to their system.

Hoping that Access makes my job simpler, so we shall see!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome aboard!

Umpire

Local time
Welcome
As a person new to Access, this group has helped me a LOT. One note, when you post a question, put in the beginning that you a new to this and most members will keep their answers more basic. I asked a couple questions early on and got answers consisting of a wall of VBA code that made no sense. After I started reminding people I am new, I got MUCH better and more useful responses.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:17
Welcome to AWF. Database(Access) and spreadsheet(Excel) are different animals.
Strongly suggest you review some database concepts eg. Normalization, primary key, relationships.
Good luck.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:17
@Umpire, your point is well-taken. Sometimes the ambitious nature of a question makes us think the person actually knows what they are getting into, when in fact they can be totally lost. I've probably been guilty of that more than a couple of times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom