Opinions (1 Viewer)

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:43
I have a list box in a search form called FRM_SearchMulti and it searches through everything in my database. I want some opinions on whether I should have just the one list box to return everything (this way there will be multiple entries of the same data) or if I should have several list boxes, one for each of the major tables, e.g. Children, Case Managers and Carers?

Attachments

• Carers.v17.accdb.zip
    206.3 KB · Views: 40

Tieval

Still Clueless
Local time
Today, 04:43
Well, that is not really a technical question, only in as much as a full search of everything may become slow as the database gets bigger.

I have loads of different searches in lots of different forms in databases, what you need to think about is how it is to be used. In a nutshell, what will people search for?

Normally people searching do not want to see everything, they only want to see the reason for their search. I know that isn't a great help but it possibly is the correct answer.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
PHP:
If your database has more than a few records, using a single 'search everything' approach will probably take ages to complete even if you index all fields to be searched.

I would recommend a focused search on a limited number of fields in one table.
In fact IIRC you were advised to avoid a search everything approach in an earlier thread

One good alternative is to use cascading comboboxes which successively filter data down to what end users actually want to look at

Also, you are creating a lot of threads about different parts of your carers db, but don't always follow up responses to your questions. For example, this thread which I answered the other day
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=299401

It would be helpful if you could respond so users know you are acting on advice given.
Also please mark threads as solved when you have what you need.

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 11:43
For me your search form is but fine for number if records unless of course your org is international where you care for millions of children.
So it is only a suggestion that i will give.
After searching what then?
Woul it be nice to open the carers form, child or cm to view the details.
I added a combo for the forms and a command button to go to that form.

Attachments

• Carers.v17.accdb.zip
    202.9 KB · Views: 39

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
PHP:
Also, you are creating a lot of threads about different parts of your carers db, but don't always follow up responses to your questions. For example, this thread which I answered the other day
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=299401

It would be helpful if you could respond so users know you are acting on advice given.
Also please mark threads as solved when you have what you need.

Sorry if I don't respond to all messages, I haven't got a good memory so once someone tells me the answer, I go and try it and if it works I completely forget to come back and let them know if worked. I also don't know how to mark it as solved, I only know how to thank someone for a post.

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
Woul it be nice to open the carers form, child or cm to view the details.
I added a combo for the forms and a command button to go to that form.

Thanks for that! I guess I didn't make it very specific as I didn't know exactly what I wanted. But I love that drop down box you added to open up various tables regarding the search criteria. I would love to learn how you did that.

arnelgp

Local time
Its on the afteruodate event of the combo and click event of the button. Im sure youll figure it iut as you step through the code.

arnelgp

Local time
Did you delete your post? Will do.

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
here is my db

Attachments

• Carers.v19.accdb.zip
    303.8 KB · Views: 50

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Sorry if I don't respond to all messages, I haven't got a good memory so once someone tells me the answer, I go and try it and if it works I completely forget to come back and let them know if worked. I also don't know how to mark it as solved, I only know how to thank someone for a post.

No problem. To mark as solved, click the thread tools button and select the button with that name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom