Paris Hilton's Get Out Of Jail Card. (2 Viewers)

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
Today, 09:27
You must realise that Rich is going to point out that capitalize with a z is American and that the "correct" English is capitalise. :(

Brian

Oh, of course he will. ;) I just find it quite amusing that someone who's already been thoroughly hammered on his demonstrated inability to use grammatically correct English is still trying to pass himself off as any kind of authority on the subject. I'm certainly not suggesting that the UK variations in style and spelling are in any way incorrect. :)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 17:27
I'm not suprised you would fail to recognize a common expression used in communicating with the hearing impaired.
Being as you are so perfect and without a flaw. I'm surprised you failed to comment on my post re learning a language and the subsequent question I asked.

I'm sure it's an oversight on your part.

Is Dictionary.com American perchance?

Col

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
Being as you are so perfect and without a flaw. I'm surprised you failed to comment on my post re learning a language and the subsequent question I asked.

Col

I never claimed any such thing. I haven't answered any of your subsequent question(s) re my use of languages other than English because you've started off with too many false assumptions. Immigrants? That's neither literally true nor very politically correct.

To satisfy any curiousity regarding a particular point, the use of profanities in a language other than your own, here's an example. In the Office XP course I was taking a few years back my lab partner was a very competent Chinese woman and our study group was predominantly Chinese as well, apart from myself. At one lunch break after class we were all talking about the upcoming exam and they had all drifted into their first language, leaving me out the loop. Finally I had to resort to:

"Awl mm sic gong chomani!" ("Sorry but I don't speak Chinese!")

My study group was quite amused. Another student in the class (someone I'm sure you could identify with, Col), at this point wanders over, looks at all the egg and noodle dishes and asks, "How's the Chinky food?" Dead silence and hard stares all around, my lab partner looked ready to explode. At this point I looked the student who'd asked about the food right in the eye and calmly stated:

"Dew leh noh moh." (I'd translate, but I'll leave the vulgarities to Col and Rich.)

My study group exploded with laughter.

Good times.

Last edited:
R

Rich

Oh, of course he will. ;) I just find it quite amusing that someone who's already been thoroughly hammered on his demonstrated inability to use grammatically correct English is still trying to pass himself off as any kind of authority on the subject. I'm certainly not suggesting that the UK variations in style and spelling are in any way incorrect. :)

So sayeth the Yank that posts unintelligible nonsense on another post:rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
at this point wanders over, looks at all the egg and noodle dishes and asks, "How's the Chinky food?" Dead silence and hard stares all around, my lab partner looked ready to explode.

Why? chinky food is a normal expression. Why are they so touchy?

We had a chinky last saturday night - very nice too.

What's more important is that the English are having a ban on smoking in enclosed public buildings as from 1st July - that means going outside for a fag:eek: Imagine not being able to have a fag after a chinky.

Col

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time

Your delusional grandeur is hilarious. If you are to be proven wrong, then it can only be done by an omniscient being. Why don't you get off YOUR high horse and realise you're being mocked for your own farcical role in this forum.

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
Why? chinky food is a normal expression. Why are they so touchy?

We had a chinky last saturday night - very nice too.

What's more important is that the English are having a ban on smoking in enclosed public buildings as from 1st July - that means going outside for a fag:eek: Imagine not being able to have a fag after a chinky.

Col

Right on cue, after having been blown out of the water before even getting off the starting line on the etiquette issue, Col lapses into buffoonery.

[In a Pythonesque falsetto]

"Here in the UK we call our Chinese takeout Chinky and our cigarettes fags."

[/ends with a girlish twitter]

Please. Even your own countrymen admit that the word's a racial slur. Not that this subject has not already been beaten to death here before.

I am in the UK and would regard "Chinkie" as offensive.

It may be OK in backward places and racist hotspots, but generally its not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3167697.stm

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
Your delusional grandeur is hilarious. If you are to be proven wrong, then it can only be done by an omniscient being. Why don't you get off YOUR high horse and realise you're being mocked for your own farcical role in this forum.

!!!!!

:D :D :D

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
"Here in the UK we call our Chinese takeout Chinky and our cigarettes fags."

Please. Even your own countrymen admit that the word's a racial slur. Not that this subject has not already been beaten to death here before.

Must just be in Essex and Plymouth we still use it. Plus, what's wrong with calling a ciggie a fag? It's only the yanks that find it funny.

"I'm gasping for a fag" is a normal phrase in the UK

I'd love to walk in a bar in Georgia and ask if they have any fags

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
don't worry - you won't have to put up with it for much longer

Col

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
I'd love to walk in a bar in Georgia and ask if they have any fags

Col

Who am I to judge the pursuit of alternative lifestyles? You go Col! I doubt you will have to go that far to find one. You'd probably have to clarify what you meant in Georgia however. Even you could not be so ignorant (or am I giving you too much credit?) to not know that word also means something else entirely besides a cigarette.

R

Rich

As I can see, you did not bother to follow the link.

Do you not know that Northern Ireland has been a hotbed of racial hatred for years, oddly enough sponsored for a long time by Americans? It's hardly representative of the whole of the UK .

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Who am I to judge the pursuit of alternative lifestyles? You go Col! I doubt you will have to go that far to find one. You'd probably have to clarify what you meant in Georgia however. Even you could not be so ignorant (or am I giving you too much credit?) to not know that word also means something else entirely besides a cigarette.

Yes, I'm well aware of it's US meaning. I was just thinking it would be interesting to see the rednecks reaction to a Brit asking for 20 fags, or to discuss how pointless and boring NASCAR is etc

It's easy to wind up Americans from 3,000 odd miles away - it'll be even more fun (and a challenge) to do it on their territory.:D

I remember when I lived in Oz, I was choosing a mag in a paper shop, an elderly lady came in and asked if they had any 'Durex' - my wife and I collapsed with laughter - we call it 'sellotape' in the UK:rolleyes:

Col

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
chipping in on the end of this, the phrase chinky - i find insulting -
we (in kent) normally say we are going for a chinnese/indian etc....

very few refer to chinky ....
as to the rest of whats been said .
its the differences that make the world a great place to be

a good example would be durex/sellotape
another thongs -- here int he UK they are small underwear -however in Oz they are flip flops -
Fags stateside mean gay, UK short name for Cigarrets(typo?)

ever country has this - Germany some english common words end up being swear words in German .
example
Vixen in English means a femaile fox , in Germany it means w*nker...
This got me into a lot of trouble first time i said it - (got a lot of laughs afterwards) - lets not pick arugments over differences in lanagues, lets laugh at our different interpretation on them ....

g

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
chipping in on the end of this, the phrase chinky - i find insulting -
we (in kent) normally say we are going for a chinnese/indian etc....

Just to finish the chinky thing - it's a phrase we've always used, most people I know in Bristol say it and my neighbours all say it, I find it perfectly normal.

Also, in Bristol many people still refer to coloured folk as "darkies" - I'm slightly less comfortable with that, but it's still used widespread.
We used to have a coloured chap working with us (not here), we all called him 'midnight' - he called himself 'the Black Shadow' which was cool I thought

Gays are called 'poofs' as in Jonathon Ross show, '4 poofs and a piano' as his bands name - or 'woofters' is another popular one, I tend to use that one.

Germans are 'crauts' and the French are 'frogs'

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom