Paris Hilton's Get Out Of Jail Card. (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 13:39
A Yank lecturing the English on the proper use of English ha ha ha ROFL:rolleyes:

But don't Americans rule the world? we are honoured they deem to communicate with us mere mortals.

Col

Idjit

Clamoring Preschooler
Local time
Today, 08:39
But don't Americans rule the world? we are honoured they deem to communicate with us mere mortals.

Col

I think you meant deign. Either that or "...deem us worthy of communication." (I will ignore the lack of capitalization and beginning a sentence with "But...".

I must agree with qailoh, dan-cat, et. al. that the Americans on the board appear to be much more proficient in the use of the English language than the Brits who are disparaging them.

R

Rich

Who's al and isn't et. a figment of the imagination:confused: :p

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
whats the point in going on about a blonde airhead that shows her knickers evry time she goes out. It's boring

Col

Oh... sorry... I thought I was staying on topic.
LOL

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
Today, 05:39
Hmmm, just a useless smattering of more languages...
Have you visited these countries?

Col

Why am I not suprised that you would think that any other language other than English is useless? Typical. Profanities are usually the first words anyone learns in another language, if you could be bothered to learn anything that didn't fall within your extremely narrow view of what is important.

No, I have not visited any of these countries. I've had the good fortune to have my vocabulary expanded by people who speak these languages as their first language right here in the USA.

*points to Col, makes the V-hand, waves it in front of forehead* :p

Idjit

Clamoring Preschooler
Local time
Oh... sorry... I thought I was staying on topic.
LOL

You think posting something relevant to the actual title of the thread is "staying on topic"? How funny. :p

Don't you know that there is only one topic in the 'cooler? They should change the name of it to "Variations on a Theme".

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
Shame you chose to learn American and not English then isn't it:rolleyes:

Is this a statement? A question? With your admittedly rudimentary language skills and apparent inability to use punctuation it often really is quite difficult to comprehend what you are trying to say. American in the sense that I think you are trying to use is an adjective. English in this usage is a noun, and more specifically, a language. You seem to be one of those unfortunate people whose use of internet conventions (over reliance on emoticons, as an example) in the English language is resulting in wide spread illiteracy, as Col so hysterically fears.

R

Rich

English is just as much under threat from the American bastardisation of it:rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Why am I not suprised that you would think that any other language other than English is useless?
Could you point out where I actually said this please? I'm afraid I can't find it.

Please don't use the V sign to me, it's not really etiquette.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I must agree with qailoh, dan-cat, et. al. that the Americans on the board appear to be much more proficient in the use of the English language than the Brits who are disparaging them.

Sorry Idj - that really is funny

ol

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Profanities are usually the first words anyone learns in another language,
Wrong. You learn simple phrases like "my name is. . . ", "where is the hotel?" etc. Suggest you buy some language tapes and learn properly, there's no swear words on those though.
Only an American would feel the need to swear in several languages, I'll tell you, that won't get you better service in a restaurant in France. (unless it's an American fast food pig trough place)

No, I have not visited any of these countries.
I thought not, ever been out of the USA? Or ever been out of your home state?

I've had the good fortune to have my vocabulary expanded by people who speak these languages as their first language right here in the USA.
Immigrants eh? Yanks don't like immigrants do they? Given the words you know are swear words, I'm guessing they don't like you.

Col

R

Rich

I should just point out to the Americans lecturing the English in the correct use of the English language that there is no such word as "capitalize" in the English language.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I should just point out to the Americans lecturing the English in the correct use of the English language that there is no such word as "capitalize" in the English language.

We'll be getting lectures on American culture soon. Is there such a thing?

Col

R

Rich

We'll be getting lectures on American culture soon. Is there such a thing?

Col

Yes it's called Hollywood, you know, that's where they re-write history so that it shows the greatness of America, Americans wouldn't watch it else. Hell they even have draft dodgers playing the leading role and winning the war for America:rolleyes:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
You must realise that Rich is going to point out that capitalize with a z is American and that the "correct" English is capitalise. :(

Brian

qailoh

not feeling witty atm
Local time
Please don't use the V sign to me, it's not really etiquette.

Col

I used the term V-hand, not V sign. Of course with your demonstrated contempt for any other language other than your obscure regional dialect of English (in which weird is apparently spelled "wierd", deem is a synonym for deign, etc.), I'm not suprised you would fail to recognize a common expression used in communicating with the hearing impaired.

A reprimand in the matter of etiquette from someone whose debating tactics include citing a reference for the word twat?

According to dictionary.com, a twat is a slang term for a female vulva (part of the ******)

Col

1. Etiquette, decorum, propriety imply observance of the formal requirements governing behavior in polite society. Etiquette refers to conventional forms and usages: the rules of etiquette. Decorum suggests dignity and a sense of what is becoming or appropriate for a person of good breeding: a fine sense of decorum. Propriety (usually plural) implies established conventions of morals and good taste: She never fails to observe the proprieties.

I think I'll pass on anything you might wish to share about your ideas as to what constitutes proper etiquette.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom