Paris (1 Viewer)

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:
Separate schools increase the divide, people should mix from a young age, ALL children should attend state schools and learn to live with each other, learning about each others life styles etc. They might come to realise that their religious leaders are only in it for power.

Brian
That's true but then the only way to bring about that change would be to ban religious schools and religious teaching in schools, full stop

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 22:37
Rich said:
That's true but then the only way to bring about that change would be to ban religious schools and religious teaching in schools, full stop

I would ban religious brain washing but would be happy to have religious teachers explaining the basis of their religion to all pupils, but it would have to be an open minded discussion.

Brian

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:
I would ban religious brain washing but would be happy to have religious teachers explaining the basis of their religion to all pupils, but it would have to be an open minded discussion.

Brian
and of course whether there's any basis for religion at all

R

Rich

KenHigg said:
So we either vote on every single instance or delegate to the elected officials?
we hope that elected officials carry out the wishes of the populace, of course they never do, well except :rolleyes:

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
They actually have the right idea here, their argument is that those who want to wear religious uniform should attend religious schools and not state ones.
I disagree. I don't think public schools have any business endorsing any religion, but there's no reason to stamp out all forms of individual religious expression. This is what I believe in general.

In this specific case, however, because of the nature of the clothing in question I could see it causing a disruption with the normal school environment at times and a teacher should have the right to ask the item be removed. If the Muslims want special rights so they can refuse to do so, then I agree that they should go to a Muslim school.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 17:37
OK, I think.... >Drum roll please...<

I think all public schools should allow everyone to wear what they want, until someone makes a stink. Then they go to a uniform. If you need a religous head cover thing, go to a private school...

imho

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
I think all public schools should allow everyone to wear what they want, until someone makes a stink. Then they go to a uniform. If you need a religous head cover thing, go to a private school...
LOL....well you may as well just say public schools should have a uniform. Why wait for someone to make a stink when you know it'll happen eventually? Making a stink is one of the few things Americans excel at :rolleyes:

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 17:37
Kraj said:
...Making a stink is one of the few things Americans excel at :rolleyes:

I think it's our European heritage...

>Did I say that :eek: <

R

Rich

Kraj said:
I disagree. I don't think public schools have any business endorsing any religion.
Brian and I have already agreed on this point

R

Rich

KenHigg said:
I think all public schools should allow everyone to wear what they want, until someone makes a stink.
We have a long tradition of wearing school uniforms, I know this is alien to you because of course you don't have any traditions do you :rolleyes: :p
'cept for electing Republicans

R

Rich

Kraj said:
Therefore I can't state my own opinion? :confused:
That's not what I said or intended to imply, just pointing out that in a world of division there's a remarkable consensus on common sense here

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom