Pensions - whats the problem (2 Viewers)

R

Rich

There is a simple solution to your pension in the UK.

Become a member of Parliament.

The pension is "gold plated". You do not need pension pot, you make no contributions.

Us tax payers foot the bill.

Simple eh

L

And they also get free Sky tv in their rooms!:mad:
No wonder we've now got such a bunch of *&%*(

emcf

Local time
Today, 08:48
However I think the real reason is the industrial demand for gold from China and India - and I'm not sure we would want to tie money to that.

i think you hit the nail on the head there.....as soon as china & india hit a splutter on their economies the prices of commodities will plummet too. china has had an awful lot of cash flowing into it over the past 5 years....not that much is being generated by the economy itself so a crash/re-adjustment is surely coming.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 00:48
Gold standard - yes is still variable
however if you look at the value of 1 lb of gold 20 years ago and compare it with todays value you will see that it has not be erroded by inflation
where as the same value -in notes and coins left in a "Bank Account" will have dwindled by a heck of a lot

now this is the realms of fantasy. and there is merit in not being tied to gold (or Silver) - however being tied to other currencies etc has its negative merits

as an example a couple of years ago the French misrepresented their finainces to ensure that they met the Euro Benchmark for entry (although i do agree with the reason for doing this- it was still a misrepresentation)
and could any of us rely on the Italian figures as a stable indication given that the polictial instability of Italy

with other Countries joining the finances are just as open to interpretation as France/Italy

(In no means am I having a pop at any country - I am pro europe - but anti burocracy ??)

Over spends(Countries) can and will lead to all sorts of nightmares when we have to reconcile our books - the UK's decifit currently is getting larger and larger
whether you love em or hate em - the Conservatives did reduce our defict and Labour is now borrowing and increaseing this - this will lead to higher taxes to pay for this borrow in the event that our trade inport/export do not balance

this has deviated from Pensions - but a higher tax system will lead to a lower ability to save on pensions - meaning more people are going to look at the goverment for its retirement again the start of spiral into chaos

more people relying on pensions
means higher taxes
higher taxes mean less people able to save for themselves

which I think is how this kinda started a couple of posts ago

we can all look at the problem
solutions - well we all have our own views

I personally do not want to rely on any Goverment for my pension

the temptation to dip in to this for a short terms fix is just too great

g

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 00:48
Gold standard - yes is still variable
however if you look at the value of 1 lb of gold 20 years ago and compare it with todays value you will see that it has not be erroded by inflation
where as the same value -in notes and coins left in a "Bank Account" will have dwindled by a heck of a lot

That would depend on what you take as the value? Which is the problem itself isn't it.

So gold has gone up in value more than inflation if the above is correct - so have lots of other things. What effect would tying currency to gold, an item with supposed super inflation have??

Anyway as you said - its nothing to do with pensions really.

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
"Gold Plated" Pensions
Quaint English expression meaning that if something is "Gold Plated" it is protected against erosion, corrosion and any other 'osion you can think of.

Very good ofyou U S Folks to voluntee to contribute to our MP's pensions. Naturally that includes Blair who is more "one of you" that "one of us"

L

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I think I am lucky here. I have the NHS superannuation pension which you can take anytime after age 50. It is of course slightly reduced to counter any non-payment years if you are under 60.

It's a final salary pension. I'm thinking of taking early retirement (from the NHS, not work per se) in July, so in theory I should be able to pay off the mortgage with the lump sum, and have a little income each month.
Then I can get a little part time job for me fag and booze money - well thats the plan anyway.

We also have premium bonds - these generate winnings of around £150 per month on average.

Fortunately we now have tinternet at home, so I can still be a helpful and useful member of the Access forum.:D

Col

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 09:48
Fortunately we now have tinternet at home, so I can still be a helpful and useful member of the Access forum.:D

Col

What is tinternet. Internet for pensionada's ?:confused:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
What is tinternet. Internet for pensionada's ?:confused:

Its a northern English thing - god knows how it escaped to us southerners:confused: normally we can't understand what northerners are on about. Like Yanks really, they have a wierd use of English.

Instead of saying "the", they always shorten it to "t" as in "going t'supermarket", "I got t'internet at home" so the word tinternet has become fairly normal to use.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom