Please Help-emergency (1 Viewer)

MICHELE

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:27
All of a sudden today I started getting Microsoft errors on my database. Only entry was going on, all day long and then all of a sudden errors. My tables and front end are separated. But my tables are in an unrecognized database now. Everytime I try to compact and repair I get the Microsoft error and it kicks me out. Is there anyway to get in there and fix it? PLEASE tell me yes or I'm in big trouble! I can restore from last night but everything entered today is lost.

Why would it all of a sudden crap out like that when it was working fine for so long?

And Microsoft is NO help at all.

jfgambit

Kinetic Card Dealer
Local time
What errors are you getting?

How big is the database? is it something you can zip up and send out so that i could have a look at it?

MICHELE

Registered User.
Local time
OK here are the messages I get and in this order:

1) The document JTTables.mdb caused a serious error the last time it was opened. Would you like to continue opening it?

2) The database JTTables.mdb needs to be repaired or isn't a database file.
You or another user may have unexpectedly quit Microsoft Access while a Microsoft Access database was open. Do you want Microsoft Access to attempt to repair the database?

(This is where I tried to compact and repair)

3) Microsoft Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error report that that you can send to help us improve Microsoft Access. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm almost positive this has something to do with the .ldb file not clearing out. This partially has happened before. I get the 2nd message. I compact and repair and it clears out that .ldb. But for some reason this time it won't compact and repair. I found the ldb file and deleted it but it still showed someone(me-Admin) in there.

Everybody has now reentered their stuff but I have to make sure this doesn't happen again. It could also have to do with some locking in my db. What is the best locking procedure for a multiuser environment and where can I find more information on this ldb file?

jfgambit

Kinetic Card Dealer
Local time
Check out the following URls:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283849

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q109957

Additionally, I would suggest looking into Replicating or Splitting your database depending on the number of people that touch it and have access to make changes on it. Replicating allows changs to be made on a local machine and then by implementing the Synchronization process updates the data within the Main Database.

Here is a URL on Replication:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q136134

Please let me know if this helps or if you need anymore assistance.

MICHELE

Registered User.
Local time
Replication?

I hadn't read much about Replication until today. It seems there are some conflicting ideas on it. And I'm a little confused about it. I already have a backend (sits on the server) and a frontend (sits on each users desktop - but is copied from the network each time someone opens it). As more users get into my database (I have 50 users but usually no more than 10 actually in there at once) more problems occur.

So will synchronization help? How could it harm? And can I go back if I have problems?

The websites in the previous post helped a lot but it just seems like there's more to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom