PocketBase - how to interface with Access code ? (1 Viewer)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:16
Do you agree on this or not?
No

As usual - your question is too vague. Access can have listeners without an external library - but can only listen for Access events, not external events. I am not aware of any library that provides a listener for external events

amorosik

Local time
Today, 14:16
No

As usual - your question is too vague. Access can have listeners without an external library - but can only listen for Access events, not external events. I am not aware of any library that provides a listener for external events

You're right, I was incomplete, I immediately correct the previous sentence

Access with external libraries, for example mswinsck.ocx, allows you to have a listener from external system
Where by 'external systems' I mean a program other than the one created with Access or a program that runs on a different machine
A listener with no need of timer

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Access has DLL libraries that it is supplied with by default.
That is what we are all referring to as NATIVE. e.g. out of the box.
You're right, I was incomplete, I immediately correct the previous sentence

Access with external libraries, for example mswinsck.ocx, allows you to have a listener from external system
Where by 'external systems' I mean a program other than the one created with Access or a program that runs on a different machine
A listener with no need of timer
No

As per @CJ_London I'm not aware of any external library that can make Access listen to external events.

This is what we have all been telling you, but you are convinced you know otherwise, so carry on and show us.

amorosik

Local time
Access has DLL libraries that it is supplied with by default.
That is what we are all referring to as NATIVE. e.g. out of the box.

No

As per @CJ_London I'm not aware of any external library that can make Access listen to external events.

This is what we have all been telling you, but you are convinced you know otherwise, so carry on and show us.

Ahhh now I understand, you are not aware
Ok, now I inform you that several libraries (Mswinsck.ocx, mscomm.ocx, ecc..) allow you to have a listener that receives information from sources outside the Access environment

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
so now we are talking about activeX components?

Since I am not familiar with these, and there seems precious little documentation other than OP's saying they can't get it to work, I really can't comment.

Perhaps you should start a new thread and explain how to install and how to use these

amorosik

Local time
so now we are talking about activeX components?

Since I am not familiar with these, and there seems precious little documentation other than OP's saying they can't get it to work, I really can't comment.

Perhaps you should start a new thread and explain how to install and how to use these

I have read:
Staff member
Super moderator
Joined from 2013
15K messages

I assumed that the use of an activeX was known, i'm sorry, obviously I was wrong
If you are interested, just register the library and then load it from Access classic References

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Ahhh now I understand, you are not aware
Ok, now I inform you that several libraries (Mswinsck.ocx, mscomm.ocx, ecc..) allow you to have a listener that receives information from sources outside the Access environment

Wow, so glad you told me about those.
So how exactly do you get Access to listen to them?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I assumed that the use of an activeX was known, i'm sorry, obviously I was wrong
You are joking, right.

There are 100's of ActiveX controls around - I've used some of them in the past. But never had a need to look at external events. And still don't see the need. The nearest I can think of as an example is where a notification from a bank is is received saying 'xx received' or 'yy payment made' and for some reason I have an access app to store that info. Or perhaps I have a share trading app and I get a notification about share movements and I want my access db react to that in some way - perhaps to issue a buy or sell order for example.

But there are better or more convenient ways to do both of those things, not using Access.

So provide a real life example of where you see the need for access to work in this way

Interesting you provide a link where someone can't get it to work, not one where they can.

And I note you are not prepared to provide examples of how to use these

amorosik

Local time
You are joking, right.

There are 100's of ActiveX controls around - I've used some of them in the past. But never had a need to look at external events. And still don't see the need. The nearest I can think of as an example is where a notification from a bank is is received saying 'xx received' or 'yy payment made' and for some reason I have an access app to store that info. Or perhaps I have a share trading app and I get a notification about share movements and I want my access db react to that in some way - perhaps to issue a buy or sell order for example.

But there are better or more convenient ways to do both of those things, not using Access.

So provide a real life example of where you see the need for access to work in this way

Interesting you provide a link where someone can't get it to work, not one where they can.

And I note you are not prepared to provide examples of how to use these

"..But never had a need to look at external events..."
Ok this is the point, very different from "..but can only listen for Access events, not external events.."

"..But there are better or more convenient ways to do both of those things, not using Access..."
Ok, i agree, but I would like to do it using Access
My request was not "..how to do this .." but "..how to do this using Access .."

"...So provide a real life example of where you see the need for access to work in this way..."
A chat from user of accounting system

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
And what's wrong with the existing chat application they no doubt have installed already?
Why would you re-invent the wheel for something so tedious, and that they couldn't ignore while in the middle of an access database session?

Need a better real-world example than that.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A chat from user of accounting system
would love to know how that 'notification' is generated from something like pocketbase.

agree with Minty

"..But never had a need to look at external events..."
Ok this is the point, very different from "..but can only listen for Access events, not external events.."
Not in my book.

You give the impression of knowing a lot but unwilling to share. In reality I think you've seen a few key words here and there and want others to do all the work to see if it can be made to happen without really having a clear idea of how it would be applied.

Reminds me of a book I read as a child - scientists were shown a video of a working anti gravity machine - but it and the inventor were subsequently destroyed. Their challenge was 'look at the video - it's been done, so work it out'. Turned out the video was a fake.

amorosik

Local time
And what's wrong with the existing chat application they no doubt have installed already?
Why would you re-invent the wheel for something so tedious, and that they couldn't ignore while in the middle of an access database session?

Need a better real-world example than that.

No, it don't need a real example
It can be used for any application that needs asynchronous communication between server and client
Without query, the client will be informed that some events have happened, this is the goal

amorosik

Local time
would love to know how that 'notification' is generated from something like pocketbase.

agree with Minty

Not in my book.

You give the impression of knowing a lot but unwilling to share. In reality I think you've seen a few key words here and there and want others to do all the work to see if it can be made to happen without really having a clear idea of how it would be applied.

Reminds me of a book I read as a child - scientists were shown a video of a working anti gravity machine - but it and the inventor were subsequently destroyed. Their challenge was 'look at the video - it's been done, so work it out'. Turned out the video was a fake.

"..how that 'notification' is generated from something like pocketbase.."
I would like to know too

"..without really having a clear idea of how it would be applied.."
If I had a clear idea of how things happen, I wasn't here to ask, don't you think?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I understand English isn't your first language, but you do seem to fail to understand what you have been told.

Access does not have any intrinsic (Native?) method to LISTEN for EXTERNAL events.

It is not something it was ever designed to have, so any add-on, external dll, active-x or com object that can do that wouldn't probably be designed to do it with a virtually unknown third-party database backend product.

ebs17

Local time
I wanted to understand if any of the Access users of this community had already tried to use it in conjunction with PocketBase
The answer is obviously no.
But YOU have installed PocketBase yourself and are successfully sending messages? Only then do thoughts about receiving make sense. Or is it just soap bubbles floating through the room?

Last edited:

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 08:16
beating-head-against-a-pole-looney-tunes.gif

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Think it is time to draw a line under this thread.

I for one am going to drop out (again). OP can't clearly explain what they actually want to do but appears to want to build a tool for vaguely defined purpose even if those tools exist elsewhere. A number of links or suggestions have been provided.

In summary

'native access' (in fact any office app) can't do what is required without the use of an external library outside of those that come as 'standard'. The OP has suggested the libraries Mswinsck.ocx and mscomm.ocx but has not provided any evidence these can do whatever it is required or pointed to anything that shows how to successfully install and use them.

Use of Powershell has been suggested - but doesn't meet the requirement that it must be in Access

No-one has any idea whether PocketBase can send notifications in a way that the above two libraries can detect. And since it appears only the OP is interested in this - suggest the OP needs to try a different forum.

amorosik

Local time
I understand English isn't your first language, but you do seem to fail to understand what you have been told.

Access does not have any intrinsic (Native?) method to LISTEN for EXTERNAL events.

It is not something it was ever designed to have, so any add-on, external dll, active-x or com object that can do that wouldn't probably be designed to do it with a virtually unknown third-party database backend product.

'Access native' not exist
And in previous posts I have also indicated some examples that can be used to create an event listener of events external to the Access environment
It is useless for you to continue to say things that are not true

amorosik

Local time
I wanted to understand if any of the Access users of this community had already tried to use it in conjunction with PocketBase
The answer is obviously no.
But YOU have installed PocketBase yourself and are successfully sending messages? Only then do thoughts about receiving make sense. Or is it just soap bubbles floating through the room?

"..The answer is obviously no..."
Ok this is the answer, there is no forum user, who has seen this post, able to do so
Which is very different from "access can't do it"

amorosik

Local time
Think it is time to draw a line under this thread.

I for one am going to drop out (again). OP can't clearly explain what they actually want to do but appears to want to build a tool for vaguely defined purpose even if those tools exist elsewhere. A number of links or suggestions have been provided.

In summary

'native access' (in fact any office app) can't do what is required without the use of an external library outside of those that come as 'standard'. The OP has suggested the libraries Mswinsck.ocx and mscomm.ocx but has not provided any evidence these can do whatever it is required or pointed to anything that shows how to successfully install and use them.

Use of Powershell has been suggested - but doesn't meet the requirement that it must be in Access

No-one has any idea whether PocketBase can send notifications in a way that the above two libraries can detect. And since it appears only the OP is interested in this - suggest the OP needs to try a different forum.

"..OP can't clearly explain what they actually want to do..."
Whhaaatttts ???
I have explained and re-explained several times what I would like to achieve, see posts 1, 15, 19, 38, 42, 45, 64, 66

"...The OP has suggested the libraries Mswinsck.ocx and mscomm.ocx but has not provided..."
Perhaps you missed post 64, there is a splendid example of how to make the vba code able to 'wait' for external communications

"..Use of Powershell has been suggested - but doesn't meet the requirement that it must be in Access.."
No no, that's not the point, using PowerShell is perfectly acceptable if it could be interfaced with PocketBase

"...And since it appears only the OP is interested in this..."
Allow me to have very great doubts about this, the subject is of explosive utility in many applications, even in simple accounting applications, and being able to implement what is required would allow for a procedure created with Access to be perfectly responsive to external stimuli even without the use of periodic polling

"...suggest the OP needs to try a different forum..."
Yes, thanks for the advice, I've already tried different forums
But if you don't mind, I'll continue to use this too

Someone warn KitaYama that we are at 100

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom