polygamy (1 Viewer)

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:47
Should we change the law to allow polygamy , whilst we are changing it to allow gay marriage?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 04:47
Should we change the law to allow polygamy , whilst we are changing it to allow gay marriage?

It would definitely make the legal system much more complicated for when they inevitably get a divorce.

There's a huge difference between polygamy and gay marriage, if you are comparing the two.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

Would this be in both directions or even a many to many relationship?

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
It would definitely make the legal system much more complicated for when they inevitably get a divorce.

When I was in Morocco I was told that their form of polygamy reduced the incidence of divorce, but of course what works in one culture does not necessarily work in another.

Brian

Vassago

Local time
When I was in Morocco I was told that their form of polygamy reduced the incidence of divorce, but of course what works in one culture does not necessarily work in another.

Brian

True. The culture differences alone could account for it.

Insane_ai

Not Really an A.I.
Local time
There was a time when you said you were married and it was true.
Then there was a time when had to go to religious institution to say you are married.
Now, you have to go to the government to say you are married.

Why not go back to original way and everyone can do their own thing?

I choose to be married to one woman.

Should my choice govern you? I think not.

Marrying between races has been outlawed.
Marrying between religions has been outlawed.
Marrying people of the same gender has been outlawed and still is in my state.

I would much rather sacrifice my definition of marriage to support my principles of freedom. The reality is, in this and many other private affiars of people, there are those who wish to control behavior in order to enrich themselves either with money or ego.

Vassago

Local time
I would much rather sacrifice my definition of marriage to support my principles of freedom. The reality is, in this and many other private affiars of people, there are those who wish to control behavior in order to enrich themselves either with money or ego.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head. Either way, the government recognizes marriage and provides certain benefits because of it. As such, no one should be removed from recieving this benefit. That's MY problem with banning same-sex marriage.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Polygamy gets a bad press in the UK rightly or wrongly on grounds that exploitation can result.

Gay / religious and racial marriages never suffered from this allegation. I would be happy to have polygamy if it could be demonstrated that there was no exploitation involved.

Legally its a nightmare.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 18:47
In Nature the Mother puts down their young if there is something abnormal.

A good lesson for us to learn.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Polygamy is allowed in the US isn't it? Like in Utah where the crazy mormons live? Also there seems to be plenty of weird cults that allow several wives. And what do the Amish do? They have strange laws.

Col

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 18:47
Col

I think you might be thinking of the Royal Family of old.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 20:47
There was a time when you said you were married and it was true.
Then there was a time when had to go to religious institution to say you are married.
Now, you have to go to the government to say you are married.

Why not go back to original way and everyone can do their own thing?

I choose to be married to one woman.

Should my choice govern you? I think not.

Marrying between races has been outlawed.
Marrying between religions has been outlawed.
Marrying people of the same gender has been outlawed and still is in my state.

Good point. I thought, what is so important about a word (married) when mostly the legal issues have been resolved but as you point out the Authorities have trodden all over the word when it suited them so why make a big fuss of it now ?
Don't force a celebrant to marry same sex couples but allow it.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I am not allowed morally or legally to have more than one wife, but I have thought at times that it would be a nice thing to have. Of course the old saying that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I would love to hear from someone who has been there done that, and to hear some of the down side, besides some of the obvious.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:47
I have been married to my wife for over 19 years (was married once before). Two things, one I do not think I could handle having more than one wife. Dealing with the emotions of one wife can be very draining. Second, if something would happen to my present wife, I do not believe I could get married again (again, I do not think I can handle the emotional baggage).

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I have been married to my wife for over 19 years (was married once before). Two things, one I do not think I could handle having more than one wife. Dealing with the emotions of one wife can be very draining. Second, if something would happen to my present wife, I do not believe I could get married again (again, I do not think I can handle the emotional baggage).

Thats the way I feel, but I am curious as to what having two at the same time is like.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 01:47
Multiple wives might make sense if the survival of the tribe is at stake, where maybe hunger is a common ill. It benefits the tribe that the hunter should marry as many people as he can practically feed. It is also obvious that if a tribe is on the verge of extinction, then homosexual sex has a lesser benefit to the tribe.

I don't believe there is an objective morality in respect to these issues, except that the tribe that adopts the most productive moralities for the level of prosperity and technology available, that tribe will dominate. So to me, in a modern mechanized society, the subjugation of people of a particular sex, sexual orientation, or race--for any reason--harms the productivity of that society.

And in respect to polyamory, polyandry and polygamy, I believe these arrangements are, on average, less emotionally stable than monogamy, and so monogamy dominates. In this respect I believe that morality conforms to Darwin's principles of evolution by natural selection. I think it's in our imagination that any particular form of social order is objectively morally superior. Certain moralities will be more successful given a different level of prosperity and technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom