QI (quite interesting) (1 Viewer)

ConneXionLost

Simulacrum
Local time
Yesterday, 16:42
Sadly, this and many stories like it are true. This is generally known as the hazard of "Confined Spaces". Also, it isn't just onions. Many things, when they decay, can give off large amounts of CO2, or just push out all the available Oxygen.

It isn't always that easy to notice when you've walked into an area where the air has become unsafe. Especially if you're expecting the air to smell foul in the first place, or if you're distracted by the collapse of a coworker for an unknown (at the time) reason.

The good news is that safety regulations for Confined Space entry are now quite extensive; at least aboard ships. I'm a retired Naval Officer, and have been actively involved in educating ships' crews on this. Not so much for root cellars in old houses though. So make sure your kids learn about this early if they ever get the opportunity to explore on their own.

Cheers,

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 11:42
The problem is compounded by the perception of the cargo not being hazardous along with zero Bad Smell.

Just as flour dust is one of the most dangerous things to have in a confined space in any great qty. You imagine it is "Safe" yet it can ignite just as easy as petrol fumes, given the right conditions.

Ask a Londoner form the time of the Big Fire.:eek:

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 00:42
Why would her location indicate she isn't? :confused:

Isn't that in Scotland? The last time I checked, Scotland was part of Europe...
Absolutely correct! As a scot i can confirm that Jan lives in Scotland and not in Malawi

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
for the longest time i thought you were in europe jan. then i looked up your city on wiki. :rolleyes:

It's a well known fact that Americans are not aware of what constitutes, or indeed the location of Europe.

Many think Europe is a singular country.

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 19:42
It's a well known fact that Americans are not aware of what constitutes, or indeed the location of Europe.

Many think Europe is a singular country.

Col

You mean it's not? :confused:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
You mean it's not? :confused:

No need to say it twice Vass.

Actually, you laugh, but I'm currently in Spain, a few days ago I had the joy (and excitement) of sharing breakfast in a hotel with about 12 American teenage girls. I was the perfect English gentleman, we had a good chat for about half an hour, if I told you what they said (about their geographical knowledge), you would say I was making it up and knocking the USA.

But it did confirm my thoughts.

Col

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Absolutely correct! As a scot i can confirm that Jan lives in Scotland and not in Malawi

Indeed, if I were in Malawi or Zambia, the town would have an "e" on the end of it :)

Yarp

Registered User.
Local time
Just to follow up on Americans lack of geographical knowledge:

1) I went to school there, we learned the 50 states and 50 capitals. That was about it. I am still greatly lacking in geographical knowledge, but know where most countries are these days.
2) My mum still lives there and was asked how the British team were doing in the World Cup.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Just to follow up on Americans lack of geographical knowledge:

1) I went to school there, we learned the 50 states and 50 capitals. That was about it. I am still greatly lacking in geographical knowledge, but know where most countries are these days.
2) My mum still lives there and was asked how the British team were doing in the World Cup.
It's not just Americans :D

The Canadian woman sitting behind me was incredulous when I told her that Slovakia and Slovenia were different places.

One of the men here was explaining to someone that he'd just returned from Scotland, which is in the North of England, but didn't have time to visit Wales, as it's an island.

Still, I knew plenty of people back home in the UK who were clueless on local geography, never mind international. ;)

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
I agree that it is not just Americans sorely lacking in geographical knowledge. While Europeans may be more knowledgeable about Europe, mostly they are as ignorant about the rest of the world as Americans. Test it. We hear more about Americans because we tend to laugh at our shortcomings while Europeans tend to get angry. I was in Ireland in 2008, in a pub watching the European Championships. Three of the patrons got in an argument about whether there were 48 or 49 states. One was insisting that Canada was 49.

Unfortunately this worldwide ignorance does not stop with geography but extends to political and economic matters as well. Generally the Europeans far surpass Americans in language but a lot of that is attributable to the closeness of other countries with other languages. It is analogous to the States. A Bostonian has no problem understanding an Alabaman!

Vassago

Local time
No need to say it twice Vass.

Actually, you laugh, but I'm currently in Spain, a few days ago I had the joy (and excitement) of sharing breakfast in a hotel with about 12 American teenage girls. I was the perfect English gentleman, we had a good chat for about half an hour, if I told you what they said (about their geographical knowledge), you would say I was making it up and knocking the USA.

But it did confirm my thoughts.

Col

I only replied to you once. ;)

I don't think that's a problem limited to American youth. The invention of the internet has made it easier for the youth of the entire world today to "dumb it down" a bit and use google to find the answers to all of their questions. I realized a couple of years ago when I was in a local library here and saw a student looking up math answers on google for their homework that humanity intellect is doomed. Why should I learn what countries make up the UK when I can easily look it up on Google at will? I can even use my cell phone! :rolleyes:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
So for the benefit of us dumb Americans, can someone define what makes up:

Great Britain

U.K.

(are they different or are they synonymous?)

I really do want to learn about it (maybe others don't but I do).

Vassago

Local time
So for the benefit of us dumb Americans, can someone define what makes up:

Great Britain

U.K.

(are they different or are they synonymous?)

I really do want to learn about it (maybe others don't but I do).

Really?

Great Britain consists of England, Scotland, and Wales.

The United Kingdom adds in Ireland.

I'm not sure how much more there is to it. :eek:

Oh wait, I forgot, I'm American... aren't they all the same thing as Europe? :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom