Query including combos and a checkbox (1 Viewer)

Chumpalot

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:33
Hi there,

I have a form with 4 combo boxes, a free text field and a checkbox. All are unbound. A user can select what sort of records they want displayed by choosing options from the combo boxes. This I had working fine, until I came to add the checkbox.

I have since added a field called 'Closed' to the table. I'd like the query to pull records based on whether the checkbox is ticked or not. So:

Unchecked = Retrieve all records
Checked (default) = Retrieve only those records where the field (Closed) is unchecked.

Here is a list of the controls I have on the form:

cbo_casetype
cbo_legalaid
cbo_risk
cbo_cmp
txt_lawyer

I have tried opening the query in design view and entering various WHEREs and IIFs but I cannot for the life of me get it working. I have a feeling I need to add it into the SQL with the AND operator but the SQL has become so huge I have no idea where to start.

Very grateful for any help you can offer. This is driving me nuts.

Thanks very much
David

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:33
you add to your query:

"... And [closed] = " & iif(Me!chk_box, "false", "[closed]")

Chumpalot

Registered User.
Local time
you add to your query:

"... And [closed] = " & iif(Me!chk_box, "false", "[closed]")

Thank you for your reply. I am currently trying to rebuild the mess that was the SQL code from the original query. I have this so far, which works:

Code:
SELECT Cases.Case_Type, Cases.Funding, Cases.Litigation_RAG_risk_rating, Cases.CMP, Cases.FCO_lawyer
FROM Cases
WHERE (((Case_Type)=[Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_casetype] Or IsNull([Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_casetype]))
AND ((Funding)=[Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_legalaid] Or (IsNull([Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_legalaid]))
));

When I try to add another AND statement I get a syntax error. So I go from the above, to this:

Code:
SELECT Cases.Case_Type, Cases.Funding, Cases.Litigation_RAG_risk_rating, Cases.CMP, Cases.FCO_lawyer
FROM Cases
WHERE (((Case_Type)=[Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_casetype] Or IsNull([Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_casetype]))
AND ((Funding)=[Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_legalaid] Or (IsNull([Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_legalaid]))
AND ((Risk)=[Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_risk] Or (IsNull([Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_risk]))
));

Where am I going wrong here?

Thanks again.
David

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 11:33
Code:
AND ((Risk)=[Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_risk] Or (IsNull([Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_risk]))

You added 4 left parenthesis-- (, but only 3 right parenthesis--). That's the syntax error. No idea where you need to add that other right parenthesis, but that's the issue.

My advice is to get rid of as many as you can--just makes finding issues like this easier. "(Risk)" has no need for parenthesis and at least 1 in the begginning and end of the entire WHERE statement are extraneous as well. I think Microsoft gets paid by the character somehow so Access is always adding ones in that you don't need. Makes reading the SQL it produces horrible.

Chumpalot

Registered User.
Local time
OK, I've built in the various comboboxes and now have this:

Code:
FROM Cases
WHERE (((Forms.frm_casefiltersedit.cbo_casetype Is Null)
OR ([Case_Type]=Forms.frm_casefiltersedit.cbo_casetype))
AND ((Forms.frm_casefiltersedit.cbo_legalaid Is Null)
OR ([Funding]=Forms.frm_casefiltersedit.cbo_legalaid))
AND ((Forms.frm_casefiltersedit.cbo_risk Is Null)
OR ([Litigation_RAG_risk_rating]=Forms.frm_casefiltersedit.cbo_risk))
AND ((Forms.frm_casefiltersedit.cbo_cmp Is Null)
OR ([CMP]=Forms.frm_casefiltersedit.cbo_cmp))
);

I now just need to add in the free text field (lawyer) and the checkbox....

arnelgp

Local time
Code:
FROM Cases
WHERE [Case_Type]=iif(Trim([Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_casetype] & "")="", [case_type], [Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_casetype])
AND [Funding]=IIF(TRIM([Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_legalaid] & "")="", [Funding], [Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_legalaid])
AND [Risk]=iif(Trim([Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_risk] & "")="", [Risk], [Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_risk])

Chumpalot

Registered User.
Local time
Code:
FROM Cases
WHERE [Case_Type]=iif(Trim([Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_casetype] & "")="", [case_type], [Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_casetype])
AND [Funding]=IIF(TRIM([Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_legalaid] & "")="", [Funding], [Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_legalaid])
AND [Risk]=iif(Trim([Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_risk] & "")="", [Risk], [Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![cbo_risk])

Thanks. Any idea on how to build in the free text field (using LIKE I guess?). I have tried this but to no avail:

Code:
....AND [FCO_lawyer] Like "*" & [Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![txt_lawyer] & "*"
OR [Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![txt_lawyer] Is Null
);

arnelgp

Local time
....AND [FCO_lawyer] Like Chr(34) & "*" & Chr[Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![txt_lawyer] & "*" & Chr(34)

... you don't need the OR there since, this will retrieve the records even if the controls have null value.

Chumpalot

Registered User.
Local time
I received a syntax error using your last code. I had a look and now have this which runs but returns no results even when the text field has something in it.

Code:
OR ([CMP]=Forms.frm_casefiltersedit.cbo_cmp))
AND [FCO_lawyer] Like Chr(34) & "*" & [Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![txt_lawyer] & "*" & Chr(34));

Thank you for your help with this.

arnelgp

Local time
[FCO_lawyer] Like "'*" & [Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![txt_lawyer] & "*'"

Chumpalot

Registered User.
Local time
I almost have everything working. The only thing missing is the checkbox value.

What I would like is this:

- when the checkbox is checked then records where [Closed] is unchecked are returned
- when the checkbox is unchecked for ALL records to be returned

Any ideas with this? I have tried adding the following to my query SQL:

Code:
IIf([Forms]![frm_casefiltersedit]![chk_closed]=True,0,[Cases].[Closed])

This works for the first criteria above but not the second.

Thanks again
David

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom