Recommendation for database back end server (1 Viewer)

dlambert

Local time
Today, 09:52
Hello all,
I will soon (hopefully) be implementing an Access database to replace the existing mess of Excel spreadsheets that are used in the my office to manage our work hours, client info, invoicing, etc.
The database is intended to be used by less than 10 people (realistically only 2 or 3 at any one time), all within the same office network (with hard-wired Ethernet connections)
Some users will have access to only certain parts of the database through a split system for the back end tables and front end queries, forms, reports, etc.

My question is:
Do i need anything specific as a 'server' to store the database back end?

I was thinking of getting a simple Intel NUC or similar with a Core i5, 32Gb Ram, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro, powered from a UPS.

Is this overkill?
Is this not enough?
Is Windows 10 Pro OK?

Any advice is much appreciated

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:52
Hi. My question is what database backend server were you thinking of using? If Access, then you don't need a server machine for that.

dlambert

Local time
Hi, sorry for not specifying, yes it is MS Access.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi, sorry for not specifying, yes it is MS Access.
In that case, you should be able to simply place the backend file in a network share. Also, please consider that no matter what the db is for, it's highly recommended to split it, even if there's only one user.

dlambert

Local time
In that case, you should be able to simply place the backend file in a network share. Also, please consider that no matter what the db is for, it's highly recommended to split it, even if there's only one user.
Thanks for the really quick responses, (i did not even get time to step away from my computer! :D )
So from what i understand from you, if i get a computer like the one i specified in my original post, set it up on the network and share the back-end file on the network i should be good (that is what i was hoping)
I am really not too familiar with processing/memory/storage requirements for a computer to 'smoothly' host a database back end. Any thoughts on the technical requirements? I would imagine that when the queries/forms/reports are done, that processing would be handled on the font-end computer so the load on the back-end computer would not bee too much as it would only be supplying the data in the tables?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for the really quick responses, (i did not even get time to step away from my computer! :D )
So from what i understand from you, if i get a computer like the one i specified in my original post, set it up on the network and share the back-end file on the network i should be good (that is what i was hoping)
I am really not too familiar with processing/memory/storage requirements for a computer to 'smoothly' host a database back end. Any thoughts on the technical requirements? I would imagine that when the queries/forms/reports are done, that processing would be handled on the font-end computer so the load on the back-end computer would not bee too much as it would only be supplying the data in the tables?
Hi. Interesting questions. However, I have one of my own. You said the office is already on a network, so I am not clear why you need to buy a server? How is the current network set up? Do everyone log in to the network? As far as which machine works when you have a split database, the answer would be both. Most of the processing will probably be done by the machine with the front end, but any time you send a request for data, the backend machine should also be doing some work. For example, the backend machine may have to filter the data before sending it across the wires.

HalloweenWeed

Local time
Today, 04:52
In my opinion, if all is within a LAN (single-location network), and not on Wi-Fi, you will not have any problems with the network. And as far as system specs go, a small database is no excersize for a desktop computer that is not extremely obsolete. However, weak computers like a "chromebook" might be inadequate without using a web browser-based interface. Now if you are talking about more than 100,000 records (particularly if more than a couple dozen fields per record), or if you have thousands of fields in each record, now that could change things a bit and I can't help you there.

If you want to access the back-end from the Internet, especially if you are going to use a secure VPN connection, that slows things down considerably and the Internet connection ping and throughput is the biggest issue, unless you use a web browser-based interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom