Search posts (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:56
The site already has Google captcha and 9 pics and you have to identify which have taxis in it etc. But the bots can often get around that. The thing that is of concern is bulk attacks, which is why we are getting about 80 registrations per day. They will be dropping links later on. The easy-to-deal with issue is manual spammers. We have a team there that is on their ass!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 18:56
The site already has Google captcha and 9 pics and you have to identify which have taxis in it etc. But the bots can often get around that.
I think the pictures to identify are on a random basis, aren't they? I have seen bikes, taxis, crosswalks, bridges, etc....
The thing that is of concern is bulk attacks,
what's a *bulk* attack?
The easy-to-deal with issue is manual spammers. We have a team there that is on their ass!
well that's great! makes me wonder if the manual spammers are being paid by people to do that work. do you know? I remember back when I posted that thread about the silicon valley guys connecting to my computer....I remember the agent telling me at some point (if you haven't already read this):
now Adam, I need you to follow my instructions step by step, otherwise my life could be in danger. I could lose my job.
what employer threatens an employee's life, even if they go so far as having inappropriate relations in the office with a co-worker!?!? That gave me the impression that the poor guy didn't even know who he was working for. I wish I could've helped him if that was indeed the case. I'm sure it was, as a lot of unsuspecting people like that are just looking to earn a living and they are very vulnerable. =(

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Bulk attack=automated and in volume.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
We are attack constantly by all sorts of people. But all the patches and updatedness of this new software means that there are minimal exploits for hacking. But there is still vulnerability on spam registrations. But I hope to patch that too, with some secret backend cleverness.

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:56
Those are always tricky to fix... But what about the posts ? How can I find a post of myself in those 300'ish posts ?
I only get 10 each time... (Same for other big users.)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I have to look into the search, but for now I have more pressing priorities. Just look at the sticky thread in Site Suggestions for a list of everything I am working on.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
An alternative to the forum built-in search is to use Google Search. The following link takes you to a search page by Google specifically aimed at the Access World Forums website. In other words anything you search for will only will be restricted to searching AWF...

SEARCH AWF ONLY

URL:-
[/URL]

Yes !! Thank you. using that search shows all the posts. Thanks.

And Jon, you do a fantastic job ! Keep it going :)

Reactions: Jon

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 18:56
nevermind, I think I answered my own issue.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
can this URL be manipulated to search any site

Yes, I would imagine you might SEARCH any website, although I'm sure there would be exceptions! All you do is replace the URL for Access World Forums, where it says "site or domain" with the domain you want search. See in the video at time index 52 seconds, and there's more information about "searching for answers" for MS Access users on my website HERE:- Searching For Answers

VBA Beginner - Searching For Answers - Nifty Access

Edit:- Added the Link From the Video:-

SEARCH - ACCESS WORLD FORUMS - ONLY

Last edited:

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
I have to look into the search, but for now I have more pressing priorities. Just look at the sticky thread in Site Suggestions for a list of everything I am working on.
@Jon : The roadmap lists "Improve search functionality". - So, quick question: You are aware that search is pretty broken at the moment? For my own posts it does not find anything older than June 2019.

Also, feature request: Search in date range. The current search has a "Newer than" filter, but I would like to be able to search in a date range between StartDate and EndDate.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am aware of the search issues. In time, I will get to it.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
The current search has a "Newer than" filter, but I would like to be able to search in a date range between StartDate and EndDate.

If you use this link:-

https://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search?q=site:http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/&hl=en&cr=countryUK|countryGB&safe=off&as_qdr=all

Which takes you through to a Google Search targeted at AWF (Access World Forums).
Enter a word or words you want to search for in the box:- "this exact word or phrase:" (alternatively use one of the other options)

I entered "Nifty Access" and it returned the following search:-

"Nifty Access" site:http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/
If you open this Google Search on "Nifty Access",
and look at the top you will see several selections, one of them is:- "Any Time"

Click on the "Any Time" selection and at the bottom of the list, you have "Custom" where you can provide the particular date range you want to search within....

Last edited:

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
If you use this link:- [Google Advanced search]
Thank you!
I am very surprised, but I managed to find what I was looking for. (The main criteria was that I wrote a post in the thread I was searching for, all other critera were rather vague and non-specific.)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I have some nice potential additions up my sleeve regarding search, but first I am searching for answers myself on a few things. For example, the elasticsearch addon is $50 + $200 per year subs to the ES website! The ES have a free option but I am not sure if I can use that or not. Trying to find out.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Great news! Found that the elasticsearch is free to install on my server. It is the cloud based versions that cost. I have to still buy the search addon but that is $50 and $10 per year, which is much more affordable.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:56
You are tenacious, Jon!!:)

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Nothings easy! I am in the process of implementing a Solved button. But it was showing [Solved] and not Solved. Got support, got a solution, implemented the solution and now it doesn't work at all. Grrrr!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom